The man The voice The guitar

What I Find Special About Chris Rea,s Lyrics.

Here you can discus Chris' lyrics
leila.wilson
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

What I Find Special About Chris Rea,s Lyrics.

Post by leila.wilson »

Many musicians write their own songs and music. However, Chris reveals so much of himself in so many of them. Because of his willingness to be this honest, we learn a lot about the man, and " who " he is.
I think this is why so many people discover a song in particular, that really speaks to them in situations that happen in their own lives. Chris writes about his deepest feelings, and that is why we ourselves can identify with them. Time and time again people talk about " a song " that has a special meaning for them.
His music has the same effect no matter which kind it may be that appeals. For some that will be the haunting beauty of many of his earlier works. Others are drawn to the more recent blues albums.
I offer these few thoughts to you , and hope some of you may have your own thoughts that you may wish to share.

Best Regards

Leila.
Stainsby Girl
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

the thought..

Post by Stainsby Girl »

it's incredible how much his music talks to me. He's written a song for almost every situation in my life. Absolultely any album I find a song or two which fit into my life. You are absolutely right, he writes about his life. He writes about his feelings, which i think is incredible.
We all have a tendency to feel that we're the only ones in the world experiencing a certain emotion, so when a song that encaptures that very feeling is written , we realise we aren't alone. Someone, somewhere has gone thru the very same.
The other side to it is that because these tunes are forever, and well i'm not about to give them up! I will never truly be able to forget any emotion that i might have had. Its insanely bittersweet...
Oh well.. C'est la vie
leila.wilson
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Reply to Stainsby Girl

Post by leila.wilson »

Yes, his music does speak to every individual, and there always seems to be one for every occasion that comes along in our lives. I will have a "special" one for a while, then suddenly, I will realise that I have found another one that seems to have been written for issues going on in my life at the present time! I used to have one favourite..."Gone Fishing", not because I go fishing, but the guitar is so haunting!!! Also, I realised that there was much more to his thoughts than fishing! I now have a few favourites for various reasons. I noticed that yours is "All Summer Long"...
A lovely choice. Mine at the moment is "Summer Song" When I heard the words, they took me back to a special time in my life. It will be exciting to
see what his new ones are all about, when they arrive in October! Do you think you will be able to get them in India?

REAgards Leila
Stainsby Girl
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Stainsby Girl »

No that's the unfortunate part. Chris Rea albums are just not available in India. that's why i was such a late starter. I have managed to get most of his albums, but it's usually through someone coming in from the States of Europe. I was going to say, it's not fair, because being in Europe you guys have a serious advantage. If i order online i gotta spend more in shipping costs than the cd itself! I'm already trying to figure out how i'm going to get the new album(s) when they release. ;)
But rest assured i will get it! I've already got the DVD- Stony Road. and it's one of my Prized possessions.
I was wondering, you live near where Chris rea does dont you???
Have you ever happened to see him?

hee hee
leila.wilson
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Availability of Chris Rea CDs in I ndia

Post by leila.wilson »

Hello Tuna
It must be very frustrating not to be able to get Chris,s music where you live. Although I have had similar problems when I have had to order, and the postage is as much or more! I recentlybought the DVD you mentioned,......."Stony Road" and I agree, it is great!!! I have also bought "used" CDs that are guaranteed in perfect condition from Amazon on the net for very good prices. Can you not download any of them?

I live about 7 miles from Middles brough, and yes, I have met Chris. I know him. He doesn.t live in Middlesbrough now though, and moved away years ago.Some of his family are still here.

If you want to e-mail me any time, please feel free. My address is here on the member list.

Today I ordered a CD of "La Passione" so I am looking forward to getting it as it is the actual sound track of his movie. Do you have this one?

Hope to speak soon,

Take care,

Leila. :wink:
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Re: Availability of Chris Rea CDs in I ndia

Post by Zgred »

leila.wilson wrote: I live about 7 miles from Middles brough, and yes, I have met Chris. I know him. He doesn.t live in Middlesbrough now though, and moved away years ago.Some of his family are still here.
:shock: :o :) :P :D

I'm so jealous... still I am planning to make a trip to England and visit his hometown, well meeting him personally could be too much... :wink:

Where is he now? Are we supposed to know this? :mrgreen:
leila.wilson
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Where is Chris now?

Post by leila.wilson »

Hello Zgred again!
He lives in London now in a place called Cookham if I remember rightly. If Bart has got his biography section running again, you shoud find the information there. Hope you get to England next year!

Leila.

PS Have you seen the film he is in called "Parting Shots" ???
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

Checked - it's true. I wonder if it is possible to... just visit him, even only for shake hands... but if not, there should be no problem with that...(yeah, sure...;))

When will it happen, I don't really know - next year would be very nice...

I haven't seen the film! To make it worse, after lecture here I realized that there are more movies that Chris is involved in, previously I knew only about "La Passione" and music for "Auf Immer..." and "Soft Top...". A lot of holes in knowledge I had :o however it is very nice surprise...
leila.wilson
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Meeting Chris

Post by leila.wilson »

Well if you get near enough to shake his hand Zgred you will be a very lucky man! He is a very private person indeed. Still you never know, and I hope you manage it some day.

If you want to know more about Chris,s music have a look in Bart,s discography, there is a lot of information in it.
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

I won't wash this hand for a weeks :mrgreen:

According to Chris' regular records, I'm not that bad in it... except for Auberge, Blue Street and Blue Guitars, I proudly announce that I own them all 8) and don't let the lyrics to get forgotten.
One thing, I see that there is also '74 So Much Love, but it looks like it's not just to be bought in the music shop... hey it's not present at the Jazze Blue neither.

Also have never seen Chris live (he's been once in my town) or even a video from a concert... this is still to discover.

You say that you know the Man - that way you are the first person I've met who could say that. Would you mind asking for some details what kind of person is he, or how did you meet? But maybe something else than the official facts, please :)
leila.wilson
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Chris Rea

Post by leila.wilson »

Hi Zgred,
You ask for more details about Chris, so I am sending what I can by your private mail, as I don,t put these details in the forum.
Chris is related to my husbands family, so that is how I know him. The first time I met him he was a small boy! I haven,t seen him now for a lot of years, as he moved away from Middlesbrough, when he began to do well. I remember him as a really nice guy, easy to talk to, and friendly. He keeps his private life, his wife and two daughters well away from the public side of his life, so not a lot is known about him in general.
I am in touch with Chris,s dad, and know his brothers and sisters. That is about all I can tell you Zgred. I would like to meet him again myself, but he is too busy to come home much at all.

Auberge is my favourite album of all his music, perhaps because it was the first album I bought of his? I lost my husband Peter two years ago, so I have found much of his music a great comfort on sleepless nights. The words speak to me.

Hope this helps a little,

Best wishes.....Leila.
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

That's superb, but do you mean that you sent a mail already? Didn't receive any. If not, that's okay, don't hurry.

I am really excited meeting a person being so close to him, like you... so if I showed too much curiousity, forgive me please, Leila :)
Chris keeps his privacy for himself and that's just another reason to like him and respect him.

Isn't it strange, that we deeper appreciate things like music (particularly Mr. Rea's) after sad, painful moments of life...? Speaking openly, I had a big crisis long ago... it was caused by you, women ;) and I remember the whole night with "Sweet summer day" in head, maybe some others also... that was a hard time, finally I've managed to get myself fine, and like the Man said - "through the darker days I keep the beat" 8)
He said it - I lived it.
This is what I would like to tell him.

Leila you have already helped me more than I could expect even from Rea's fan, many thanks for all and in advance.
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Chris Rea lyrics

Post by Mr_Blues »

Chris Rea has a great lyrics, that´s a one thing for sure. His lyrics vary from the easy & simple to those which has clever metaphors and some meaningful messages in it. Blues can be found already from the very first lyrics he´s ever written. And that´s what he´s said, he always wanted to make it that way but the people in record companies didn´t let him do it. So if the music wasn´t really blues, the lyrics sure were.

Like many other fans here, I´ve also found his lyrics to similiar with some events in my life. And also I´ve found comfort and some sense to things from his songs. That´s always a powerful thing to feel that way and find something that touches my very soul and heart. Thanks Chris for that.

Also I want to say that I´ve been writing some lyrics of my own and I can see that Chris has been the biggest influence for me what comes to writing. So thank you for that too Chris :)

Mr_Blues from Finland
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

lyrics

Post by Zgred »

Any chance of trying out your skills in writing, Blues???? :)
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: lyrics

Post by Mr_Blues »

Zgred wrote:Any chance of trying out your skills in writing, Blues???? :)
Ok, here´s something what I´ve written :)

YESTERDAY`S BLUES

I got this feeling like I´m living the yesterday again.
The strange part is that I´m living only moments of pain.
No sunshine on my sight, I have to ramble in the dark rain.

Well I know, I had some good times too, where did them go?
I quess them slipped from my fingers like a river flows.
I gotta find those good times again before the blues grows.

I know, I don´t wanna keep walking down this misery lane.
I wanna forget my blue past, tomorrow can´t be the same.
I´m trying so hard, fighting back is the name of the game.

Now, english ain´t my mother language so there´s some mistakes, but I think that everyone understands what the hell I´m writing here :)
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)