The man The voice The guitar

Tour Reports 2010

Jim M
Support
Support

Re: Tour Reports 2010

Post by Jim M »

Chris
I've recently discovered he did moon river myself -hopefully someone knows what the connection to him is.
Of course he also did I Left My Heart in San Francisco and On Broadway (on the tribute to lieber & Stoller DVD).
I understand the On Broadway (as a tribute) but don't know his connection to I Left My Heart in SAn Francisco either ? Also of course he did Baby PLease don't go w/Bill Wyman and I'm assuming this was due to the Wyman project if you will. I think that's it for him doing other peoples songs (except of course where he plays guitar or lends vocals w/other artists) ? or are there more ?
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Jim M wrote:Chris
I've recently discovered he did moon river myself -hopefully someone knows what the connection to him is.
Of course he also did I Left My Heart in San Francisco and On Broadway (on the tribute to lieber & Stoller DVD).
I understand the On Broadway (as a tribute) but don't know his connection to I Left My Heart in SAn Francisco either ? Also of course he did Baby PLease don't go w/Bill Wyman and I'm assuming this was due to the Wyman project if you will. I think that's it for him doing other peoples songs (except of course where he plays guitar or lends vocals w/other artists) ? or are there more ?
Jim
I got his version of song called Road Runner,
played by Jr. Walker and the All-Stars and James Taylor at least.
This is not the same song which Bo Diddley made.
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

A short report (in comparison to the one I wrote in 2008 after the gig).

As I had known the tour programme, I did not expect much from this gig. Just wanted to enjoy Chris playing live once again and introduce his plaing live to my girlfriend who had been looking forward for this gig very much.

In general, as expected, there was almost nothing new for me, all the same, all as I had read here.

But, the true highlights for me were "Til the Morning Sun Shines..." (a live version as I always had been wishing it to be, not the same as 2 and 4 years ago, quite heart-striking) and the brand new "Electric Guitar". Some of you here folks had been telling the original version from Blue Guitars is somewhat better tune, but I must say it is not so! In my view, this on played live was the real fantastic, indeed! I wish many old tunes could be re-arranged in the same manner! And if the new album would contain the tunes like that, I'll tell you folks that'd be great!!!

I was disappointed with the current version of Looking for the Summer and Julia (previous live versions appeared better to me), not so much with Josephine (though my girlfriend said it was the worst version she'd ever heard)

Stainsby Girls and Let's Dance were full of jokes and smiles and it was great. While playing Stainsby Girls Chris "shot down" the balconies with his Pinky - very funny and driving.

As 2 years ago, The Road to Hell with the red lamp and faded lights was outstanding in this setlist, sure not suitable though "must have played".

In general, if I hadn't been aware of what the concert would was going to be like, I would have been quite disappointed. The setlist is something misunderstandable to me. Not the brand new material, not indeed a "best of". Just a compilation, close to the two previous programmes. People who attended Rea's gig for the first time, were quite satisfied. But we, fans... What about us?..

Looking forward to Nov, 2010.

May your shadow never grow less,
&ru
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Thanks for the review Andrew! Funny enough, the only reason that could have made me buy the tickets was to show CR music to my girlfriend. At the end I thought I didn't want her to buy her ticket on her own and it was very expensive if I would decide to buy two good tickets...
Anyway, your review made me watch "Till the morning..." from the Bucharest gig, and yes, it's a bit different, louder (and more emotional) at the end, and a bit different solo in the beginning, with a theme from "Valentino" included for those who know 8)
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Lily, Tina and all,

Well yes, I went to Chris Rea's concert in Warsaw. I felt it was my duty to be there. For several reasons. I admire his music in general, his guitar playing style, his nostalgic songs and him as a human being after what he's been through. I just had to use this occasion (his presence in Poland) to see him perform live again. I thought: he came to visit, I must meet him.
I've seen him a couple of times in Germany and a few times in Poland; I watched him on television, either promoting new albums or doing 'mini recitals.' I have most of his recordings, starting with LPs and switching in 1984 to CDs.
This time in Warsaw, Chris Rea played at a different venue. Not at the usual place, the Congress Hall (Sala Kongresowa), a part of the drab (being "a Stalin's gift to Poland") the "Palace of Culture and Science" at the very heart of the city, but at the sport-events' place called the "Torwar", closer to the Vistula river. Chris played the already known set list and was preceded by Paul Casey who sang five or six songs. For me, Paul was very good. The audience though, I must say, seemed confused a bid, especially middle-age people (like myself.) Some of them wanted to know who he was (just the same problem as in Germany, as it was previously noted.) I've seen two or even three-generation families siting in front of me and to my right or left side of the balcony. A mother took to the concert her daughter (or the other way around?); a father paid for his son's ticket. Towards the end of the concert, when Chris began playing "Let's Dance", younger people started dancing in front of the stage. So, it looked like one big reggae crowd.
Chris had used phrases, short elements from different songs to play them in his solos or towards the end of some songs in Warsaw. So, he did exactly the same as in other tour-cities. His musicians are well integrated (we say "they know each other like those bold horses), they all understand each other on stage, so the concert was very good, smooth.
The hall - all seated - was almost sold out. Tickets were running between (more or less) 50 and 80 Euro. I've seen some empty chair to my left and right on the back balcony but not on the main rectangular floor.
The best song (I know that this is always somehow a subjective choice) was the "Electric Guitar" played in a new, beautiful version. I also liked "Looking For The Summer" since we still have some three feet of snow on the ground and everyone around here is sick and tired of this prolonged winter. Chris looked to me at first a little tired (exhausted by the tiresome tour?) but only when he began to play. Towards the end of the gig he was visibly feeling better and he danced on the stage, too. I think it was a wise move to have a day off in-between his concerts in Russia, Belorussia (new spelling: Belarus) and Poland. After all he had to cover long distances.

Here's the Torwar's set list:
1. I Can't Wait For Love
2. Work Gang
3. Where The Blues Come From
4. Josephine
5. Easy Rider
6. Til the Morning Sun Shines on My Love and Me
7. Looking For The Summer
8. Julia
9. Stoney Road
10. Electric Guitar
11. Come So Far, Yet Still Far To Go
12. Somewhere Between Highway 61 & 49
13. Stainsby Girls
14. The Road To Hell part 1 & 2
Encores:
15. On The Beach
16. Let's Dance

I think all true fans should attend his concerts to pay a tribute to him.
Take care,
Chris

Here's another link to some more pictures from Warsaw's concert:

http://muzyka.onet.pl/10174,68288,0,1,galerie.html
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Thanks for the review Chris... :D I always read your posts.

I finally know what it's like to see Chris play live, and he is fantastic, still has it.

I agree is a matter of taste, but I like the new version of Electric Guitar too, and I understand the new album is headed in that direction.

Thanks for the links, I posted them on my site.

Cheers,

Lily
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

16th of February - Poland, Warsaw - Torwar

Amazing. Magnificent. Breathtaking.

Most relaxed Chris I have ever seen. Since the second-third song until the very end, the Man was enjoying himself at 100%. Wicked solos and cheering audience after that. Some funny dancing, walking around, and more cheers. Having fun with Sylvin. I don't get the all-seating type for CR gigs, one more time people were moving to the front, being told to get back or sit down but what could one man do to quickly growing bunch of fans :) they got to the stage and danced anyway.

At the ending, during Let's Dance, Chris sang this "I'm never too old to dance" part and got totally positive response. Looooong standing ovation with hell of a noise after the band has gone. They deserved nothing less.
I think Chris made a lot more contact with the listeners, than he was (maybe) supposed to...

It was very loud, but pure-rock-loud-style, not tiring, perfectly and professionally arranged. OK, just one single 1-2 seconds overdrive ;) It was definitely the BESTEST Chris Rea I have attended. My mind's still there, actually, hearing "when they fight and break the glasses, I don't hear them, no more". Was right the way it should be.

I sat in 2nd row (technically 4th, but whatever). Electric Guitar totally put me into trance. LfTS was g-r-e-a-t, also Stony Road, Come so far..., vibrating Where the blues... Road to Hell 1+2 was, well, unsurprising, still a blast anyway.
Worth every single zloty (polish currency ;) ) and every second I spent.

Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Chris /Zgred
THanks for great reviews !
Zgred -Welcome back ! All OK w/you ?
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

Hello Jim, yes especially since Tuesday everything is even more then OK, thank you :)
I have seen where the blues come from ;)

Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Well, sorry to sound negative, but how long the tour has been going on and nothing new or interesting to report since the tour started? Only obvious things such as the band is enjoying themselves on stage, etc... Hopefully the next tour won´t be like this if there´s gonna be another tour, who knows...
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
Hi Zgred....welcome back .....tell me how is your beautiful cat ? :) :)

Hi Mr Blues
I hope you are well and enjoying your weekend :)
Mr_Blues wrote:Well, sorry to sound negative, but how long the tour has been going on and nothing new or interesting to report since the tour started?
I think this is a standard setup as tours go for Chris.He is following the same routine as he usually does.Although not much new this time but what is interesting is the change in Electric Guitar.To like or not to like is a matter of choice but still interesting as Chris has taken yet again another song and changed it completely.
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

Hi Tina, thanks, the cat is a true senior now, but he still keeps the beat :)

What "Angles" is your footer talking about? ;)

Mr_Blues wrote:Only obvious things such as the band is enjoying themselves on stage, etc... Hopefully the next tour won´t be like this if there´s gonna be another tour, who knows...
Man, you serious? Or you are talking about some other Chris Rea than I know.
It's not that obvious, that sixty-year-old with half of stomach having removed, is cruising round the Europe and is giving a lot of pleasure to people almost day by day. Do not blame him for enjoying himself and his band, because that's what we would love to see.
From what I have seen, I would beg or bribe any god to have another tour like this one. On the other side the tracks that I would like to hear, are different from current playlist, but that's just plain talking until you hire CR for playing just for you.

Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi everyone :)
Hi Zgred
I hope your cat lasts many more years as you will miss him when he is gone :)
Are these your photos from the concert ? They are great.....just look at the expression on Chris's face.I hope he is as happy as this when he gets to Dublin at the end of the tour and not too tired to still enjoy it.
As for the Angels it is difficult to answer.I love the idea of Angels and been able to fly... flying away from sad and difficult times,if it was just that simple. The whole meaning of that song "Dancing The Blues Away" I love.This is not the correct section of the forum to post this :)....hope I don't get told off sorry guys :)
Zgred wrote:It's not that obvious, that sixty-year-old with half of stomach having removed, is cruising round the Europe and is giving a lot of pleasure to people almost day by day. Do not blame him for enjoying himself and his band, because that's what we would love to see.
From what I have seen, I would beg or bribe any god to have another tour like this one. On the other side the tracks that I would like to hear, are different from current playlist, but that's just plain talking until you hire CR for playing just for you.
I agree with you on this and I couldn't have put it better myself.It would be great to have different set list of songs but if that's not to be then I will enjoy what Chris has to offer :)
Nice talking to you Zgred :) :)
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Zgred wrote:Hi Tina, thanks, the cat is a true senior now, but he still keeps the beat :)

What "Angles" is your footer talking about? ;)

Mr_Blues wrote:Only obvious things such as the band is enjoying themselves on stage, etc... Hopefully the next tour won´t be like this if there´s gonna be another tour, who knows...
Man, you serious? Or you are talking about some other Chris Rea than I know.
It's not that obvious, that sixty-year-old with half of stomach having removed, is cruising round the Europe and is giving a lot of pleasure to people almost day by day. Do not blame him for enjoying himself and his band, because that's what we would love to see.
From what I have seen, I would beg or bribe any god to have another tour like this one. On the other side the tracks that I would like to hear, are different from current playlist, but that's just plain talking until you hire CR for playing just for you.Image
Well, that was ment to be positive thing, that they do enjoy themselves on stage, of course they have to enjoy of it, otherways there would not be any tour at all. And for sure, that was not any blame to mention their enjoying themselves, are you nuts? About plain talking, well there´s action in it as well, if the tour would have been a whole lot of different with the setlist I would have to think of the going to gig seriously and that would have to mean of going to whole another country to see a show, which I have done two times so far. So, do not talk about talking when you can go to show in your own country, if not in your own home town?

And what comes to same old setlist, I rather go see unknown local blues band with rarely the same setlist twice than see the show which has all the same songs during the whole tour. That is like getting milk from store and live performance should not be like that.
Zeljko
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Zeljko »

Heres Chris in Slovenia :

2 videos included...signing autographs after the gig.
I must say that I am deeply dissapointed by this. In Serbia they refused to sign authographs after the gig...

http://24ur.com/ekskluziv/glasba/video- ... html#video

Edit webmaster: Zeljko, I have edited your post. Removed some text as it was not acceptable and also removed the capital letters!