Interesting Chris Rea Live Auction....

All topics concerning Chris' discography
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Interesting Chris Rea Live Auction....

Post by lilybee »

Hello,

In case you missed this, it appears that Chris Rea had another album that was never released....

If you scroll down a bit you can read the description from the seller:

http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBa ... &viewitem=

"120: Chris Rea Time Running Out unreleased and later co

Chris Rea Time Running Out unreleased and later completely destroyed LP slick. Magnet records 1982. After the completion of this emotional album the record company and backers felt that the content was too emotionally dark and consequently all of the tapes and artwork apart from this slick were destroyed. The lot is accompanied by 19 large professional colour transparencies depicting REA fully clothed and with guitar in a turquoise swimming pool.

The self-titled Chris Rea was released in 1981, and then Water Sign in 1983.

This "Smile" record was to be released in 82 but was "destroyed" instead.

The seller's description is puzzling, to say the least. (The songs are more like Love songs to me than "too emotionally dark")

The winning bidder gave me the track list:

Side 1:

Dream Girl
Smile
From Love To Love
Midnight Blue
I Still Feel The Same

Side 2:

I Still Dream Of You
That's The Way
Hand Me Down
Candles
Texas

Aside from the cover, the bidder also told me that there were 7 (2.25 mm) positive slides where Chris is submerged in a pool with water up to his waist, holding a guitar (as you see on the picture); and 12 negatives. ( In the negatives, he's laying flat on his back, floating, while holding the guitar).

We all know these songs were eventually released in other albums:

Smile (B side to Love's Strange Ways, 83) (also on the 12" Ace of Hearts" mini album, 84)
From Love To Love (B side to Heartbeat, 83)
Midnight Blue (Water Sign 83)
Candles (Water Sign 83)
Texas (Water Sign 83)

But the other 5 songs..... Anybody knows...?

Lily
Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Re: Interesting Chris Rea Live Auction....

Post by Peter S... »

Hi Lily,

I watched the item on line, and was surprised to see it sell for £350. As the seller did not list the tracks I wondered how many of them would appear on later albums.

I have not heard of any of the other five but now I have five more Rea songs to find.

Regards,

Peter S...
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Lily,
This makes very interesting reading.Looks like there is no end to the surprises regarding Chris.I wonder if Chris would be interested in recording this album now.The art work is available and so are the songs so all we need is the master himself :lol: He could record it on his Jazzee Blue label.
lilybee wrote:The seller's description is puzzling, to say the least. (The songs are more like Love songs to me than "too emotionally dark")

Me too unless it's the lyrics that are "dark".
Have a great weekend everyone and Bart the site looks great too :)
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Yeah Bart!

Thanks for the Christmas Snow..... :D :D :D

Lily
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

I for one would love to hear the true story behind this album !
I bet Chris would have a great tale to tell over Magnets pulling of this album !
I'm sure it all went to form his opinion of record companies and exceutives !
Somebody out there must know the story behind this perhaps a former Magnet employee or an old mgr. of Chris's ? We need to know about this DARK music -I bet it was Chris's BLUES side coming out or perhaps it was the boogie woogie music Long John Baldry refered to ?
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
Zel
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Zel »

Who bought this album on ebay action? Who's this lucky fan???
This 5 songs absolutely are so claimed by all us :)
Maybe new weed or someone sells a copy :D
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone :)
Hi Zel,
Zel wrote:Who bought this album on ebay action? Who's this lucky fan???
If you could call me "lucky" then that's me.I am now the proud owner of this material.I haven't done anything with it but I do have a plan.Like all the rest of us fans here I would love to know the story behind this.
I have concert tickets for Dublin next April :) :) so I will bring it to the concert with me and I will try and see Chris at the stage door after the show. I know this is not by any means guaranteed but I can try.It is the 1st place I ever met Chris so fingers crossed I might get lucky again.
I thought about bringing it to Bush Hall last September as there were a lot of people there who were very close to Chris but it was way too much hassle to carry it from Dublin and then look after it. So for the moment it is here doing nothing.
I think I have got over the shock of the cost of it but it was my son who put an insane reserve price on it and how I came to own it :lol:
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Congratulations ? Tina on your purchase.
You have the rarest of collectables !
Is it my understanding that this pkg. never actually had any music (CD or Vinyl) ?
You are a TRUE fan !
Make sure to get a photo of you getting this signed .
JIm
Nothings Happening By The Sea
Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Peter S... »

A very interesting post. Its good to see the cd has ended up in a good home.

Tina, why not ask the questions you have on the cd to John Knowles, I am sure you would be able to get his e-mail address from someone on this forum or another list.

Regards,

Peter S...
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone :)
Jim M wrote:Congratulations ? Tina on your purchase.
You have the rarest of collectables !
Is it my understanding that this pkg. never actually had any music (CD or Vinyl) ?
You are a TRUE fan !
Make sure to get a photo of you getting this signed .
Hi Jim,
Thankyou but I don't see this as any big deal to be honest.I think it was just another album that never got released. I would be amazed if Chris even remembers it.You are correct when you say this is art work only.There is no music at all except the list of songs that the album was meant to have that and the photo shots of Chris in the swimming pool.The one thing that I do love about it is a hand written message on the front of the negatives from Chris requesting some negatives to be printed.The hand writing is Chris's as far as I can tell from what I have here and I have asked Lily for her opinion and she agrees with me.
Jim I am among many true fans around here thankfully and I will pass on the photo if you don't mind :)
The other one is bad enough :lol:
Hi Peter :)
Peter S... wrote:A very interesting post. Its good to see the cd has ended up in a good home.
It is in a good home thanks :) and yes I do wish it was an album but not to be
Peter S... wrote:Tina, why not ask the questions you have on the cd to John Knowles, I am sure you would be able to get his e-mail address from someone on this forum or another list.
Peter I doubt John Knowles would consider this important enough to even ask Chris about it.I could see him finding it quite boring someone asking about a scrapped album of Chris's from some 20 years ago and before his time.I assume it was before John's time as manager with Chris as I honestly don't know how long he is with Chris :)
I can't believe it is almost a full year since I bought this :)
Zel
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Zel »

So, what's new ? :( Does anyone find anything from this album? Or something else?
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Zel
I have this album's art work as that is all that remains of it. Any songs that were suppose to be on this album were distroyed or moved to others. The record company considered this album too blue and depressing for release and shelved it :)
Tina
Zel
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Zel »

7-8 years ago I saw on Ebay poster with Chris in a Pool. If I knew that's so rare poster from unreleased album, ohh.... :(
The biggest mistake :(
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Zel,
How big was the poster and I have the negatives of that poster. I think this is just Chris material and as such that it is of interest to us fans other than that I doubt anyone else is interested. A pity you missed that poster but if there is one there could be more !
Zel
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Zel »

Tina3 wrote:Hi Zel,
How big was the poster and I have the negatives of that poster. I think this is just Chris material and as such that it is of interest to us fans other than that I doubt anyone else is interested. A pity you missed that poster but if there is one there could be more !
About size - I don't remember, it was -8 or maybe 10 years ago :)
I've never seen this poster on ebay again :( I think it was lucky moment of my fan life, but I lost it. :(
Second mistake - I didn't buy Alan Fearnley picture "Freedom" on ebay 10 years ago. With Chris's signature and Alan Fearnley. Limited edition one of 850 copies. :(

PS Tina! Maybe You'll be made few posters from Your negatives and sell it for true fans. :D
Our gratitude will be boundless :D :D :D

PPS Friends, maybe someone has an another one copy of "Freedom" and wanna sell it. I'm ready to make a deal. 8)