The man The voice The guitar

Chris Rea Cover artists

Stop the presses
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Chris Rea Cover artists

Post by ace of hearts »

Should be section of its own, but how about a list of Chris Rea covers by other singers. Some are good some are bad I know, and nothing is like the real thing, but I think it is intresting sometimes to listen how others perform the music.
Here is a link for starters http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDOhqALZ ... re=related

Cheers
Rich.
could this be true, could this be me..
eddierose0608
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Re: Chris Rea Cover artists

Post by eddierose0608 »

have there been any nbig artist cover Chris Rea???
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi folks!

As far as I'm concerned the biggest artist who ever did a cover on a Chris's song is Rod Stewart with his 1995 version of Windy Town (I consider he did it better than Chris himself!), but probably the most well-known cover is Fool by Elkie Brooks. Reasonable to mention that both these covers were never released as commercial singles.

May your shadow never grow less,
&ru
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

I thought Elkie Brooks version of Fool was one of her biggest hits, it got to no. 17 and was on the chart for 10 weeks in 1981 according to 'Wiki'. I'd forgotten about Rod stewart.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ace of hearts wrote:I thought Elkie Brooks version of Fool was one of her biggest hits, it got to no. 17 and was on the chart for 10 weeks in 1981 according to 'Wiki'. I'd forgotten about Rod stewart.
It really did and indeed it was, but it was a promo single. I failed to find any 7' or 12' copy of it.
We also forgot about Paul Rodgers and Dave Gilmour playing Chris's 1985 ''Stone" for the Law 1991 album. Great tune, very smooth and rich.
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

ace of hearts wrote:I thought Elkie Brooks version of Fool was one of her biggest hits, it got to no. 17 and was on the chart for 10 weeks in 1981 according to 'Wiki'. I'd forgotten about Rod stewart.
I also heard Thomas Anders' cover version of "Fool..." - if you would call him a big artist :lol:
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi all,
I know of at least three (3) artist doing Chris Rea's covers.
The French singer Johnny Hallyday recorded in French "(I'll Be) True To You"
Rod Steward did the "Windy Town"
and Victor Lazlo recorded "Teach Me To Dance."
But I believe the list should be rather a long one.
Best regards to you all from ice-cold and windy Florida.
Chris
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

''Ice Cold Windy florida''. I went to Orlando this time last year and it was lovely (well apart from one day of rain!)
Hope it warms up soon, -2 here right now and snow forecast tomorrow.
Rich.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

ace of hearts wrote:''Ice Cold Windy florida''. I went to Orlando this time last year and it was lovely (well apart from one day of rain!)
Hope it warms up soon, -2 here right now and snow forecast tomorrow.
Rich.
Hi Rich,
Well, it's hard to believe but right now (9:39 P.M. local time (EST)) it's only +5C in Sarasota and furthermore, the forecast for tomorrow morning (Feb. 5) says: "possible ground frost" (-1c)!
But Chris Rea's music is still warming me up so we are just fine considering heavy snow falls in Britain and elsewhere. Btw, I've heard that the only workers (employees) who showed up for work on the first day of your snow storm were....Poles who recently emigrated to your country! I can understand that. For them (as is the case with me) snow (or for the same reason: ice and frost) is something "normal" and "expected" in winter.
I know that Bart might chase me away from this forum for writhing personal notes....
Take care,
Chris
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Post by Jutta »

Hi Chris,
why is it not allowed to talk about personal things? It would be nice to learn more about what kind of people Chris Rea fans are. Dont you think? At the moment we have no news of Chris Rea anyway.
All the best for you (and more sunny days 8) )
Jutta (from a rainy frankfurt)
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Jutta,

Sorry for not being precise in my previous post. What I actually meant was: Bart might object to me writing stories in this subject space ('news') in stead of in "other matters" part of the forum. I wouldn't mind writing about things I see every day or what I think about events around us, but the primary reason for maintaining this forum is to talk, share our views about Chris Rea. I agree with you that since we have no news about The Man we could switch to something else as we we are waiting for a new CD, DVD or a new concert tour by Chris!
I go to the beach everyday in spite of the fact that it is here, as the local people are saying "unseasonably cold." I don't go into the water though because I'm already acclimatized and thus: felling "terribly cold" when temperature goes down to +15C. When I see someone in the water now I tend to believe (just like the local lifeguards are saying) that "those people must be from the north; they don't understand it's winter time down here."
Best regards to you,
Chris
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Post by Jutta »

Hi Chris,
I could get envious thinking about Floridas beach ... But you certainly deserve it. I am sitting on my desk everyday working for primary school material as an editor or sometimes as an author. It is nice, but everytime when I have no idea what to write, I enjoy C.R. or other good music or switch to this page in between. It happens several times a day :D .

But you are right, this is a subject about Chris Rea covers. I wish Joe Cocker would come to the idea to cover a song from Chris one day. He loves Blues music and in the past he suceeded everytime with a cover song. But what song could this be?

Have a nice day!
Jutta
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Jutta once again,
Yes, the beaches here are very beautiful, the sand is delicate and purely white and the water in winter is relatively 'warm' in comparison to any of our "Baltic (die Ostsee) standards" (!), where in the middle of the summer the temperature of the sea eventually goes up to +15C! But lately in Sarasota we have had one cold spell after another with ground frost of -2C in between! This Florida winter is definitely different.
We met quite a few people from Germany taking advantage of the post Christmas/New Year price cuts at some of the beach hotels. They were happy collecting with us the famous "sand dollars" shells. These particular shells are so gorgeous (elegant) as they are being washed out by the sea after a storm.
Speaking about Chris Rea's covers,I wish one (or more) of his songs could be covered by the Italian singer Alex Britti. He just published his 'unplugged' album and he plays slide guitar on it! Listen to his 'Milano' song (#6); he sounds on it just like Chris Rea!
Joe Cocker would do an excellent job as well.
I'm waiting impatiently for a new CD by JJ Cale, an American combined rock, blues, country and folk icon, which is to be released in the US on February 24. According to reviews it will contain brand new material, but in JJ's well known style. The CD will be titled "Roll On." I'm sure it will warm up my heart as well as other CR's fans who happened to like JJ Cale.
Take care,
Chris