The man The voice The guitar

CR Guitars

Anything about guitars, the recording equipment, playing techniques and everything else…
PAB
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Re: CR Guitars

Post by PAB »

Banjo. The pictures I promised about the G. Houghton.

The man on the left is ... Chris Rea :lol: .
The metal body of my banjo comprises more tightening clips (words are correct?) and I don't have the sticker G.H.&S on the head. But the largest difference, it is the player :( .
PAb
Last edited by PAB on 30 Jan 2009, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

PAB wrote:The man on the left is ... Chris Rea :lol: .
REALLY ?!?!? So that is how he looks like... I always wondered what that handsome man was wich the webmaster has put on the header-image above... :D :D But seriously, thank you for another wonderfull addition!!
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
Now I REALLY am showing my lack of knowledge....PAB does all Bangos like this one have no back on them or maybe base would be a better word.

Bart wrote:I always wondered what that handsome man was wich the webmaster has put on the header-image above...
Bart you are so funny :lol: :lol:
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey everyone,

First of all, thank you all very much for your kind words. I'm back from vacations and battled down my hangovers :D (though here's another following my birthday party of yesterday...)
Anyway, I'm trying to make myself up-to-date on the whole forum so I get to guitars really soon, I promise.
Thank you again for your support. See you soon,
Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
But you'll never be free.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Happy Birthday Chris! :D

Your birthday gift will be mailed soon.... I'll keep you posted.

Lily
Last edited by lilybee on 01 Aug 2008, 04:11, edited 1 time in total.
PAB
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by PAB »

[quote="Tina3"]Hi Everyone,
Now I REALLY am showing my lack of knowledge....PAB does all Bangos like this one have no back on them or maybe base would be a better word.

Hello,

No Tina, that one is a openback, but there is a lot of different instruments.
Some links (the first one concerns someone we know very well):
http://www.gerryoconnor.com/
http://www.banjostore.net/
http://www.andybanjo.com/
http://www.irishbanjo.com/

:o PAb
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi PAB,
Thanks for these links.They make very interesting reading :) :)
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey everyone,

So... Lily, thank you very much! And I'm looking forward to it.

Pab, thanks a lot for these great pics; it's a real beauty. And finally I can recognise Houghton banjos; I've always been confused by the similar body and tuning keys of Fenders but now all clear. So thank you again!
I've actually wondered about this extravaganza of using a Tanglewood for recording and a Houghton for live playing though I'm sure CR knows why he does it... :lol:
On your question: my copy of the bonus DVD is presently lent to a friend so I couldn't check it but using my memories and infos that little guitar must be a Fender Travel Guitar (actually that's the only one 'small' guitar I know about apart from the Hofner Shorty but that's another cup of tea). This is it:
So that's what I could discover but of course I might be wrong.

And now I continue:

11. Guild F47R
This is the last one from the acoustics of CR's inventory; so here's some facts about acoustic guitars.
Basically there are two kinds of them with the main difference of strings. The one with nylon strings is usually called classical or Spanish. These nylon-guitars have smaller bodies and wider necks. The three high strings (e,B,D) are of nylon while the low three (G,A,E) are made of nylon thread covered with metal (usually copper). They have quite soft tone, not too bright. The most known song played by nylon guitar is probably 'El Mariachi' from the movie Desperado; performed by Los Lobos and Antonio Banderas.
As for me, classical guitars are universal instruments since there's so much styles you can play it, and so you can get to pretty different tones with only one guitar.
As for CR, although it's not proven I think he actually used nylon guitar on the Latin Blues because that's the type of guitar that matches exactly the 'latin' style. I'll discover the album again to prove myself :) . To be honest the main 'problem' with acoustic guitars is when in a big band, playing the rhythm they are almost unrecognisable. I mean you can't hear them being there... actually you can only hear when they're not there, you can only hear the lack of them.

The other kind of acoustic guitars is the one with steel strings, they're usually called Western guitars. Contrary to the Spanish the body is bigger, the neck is longer and narrower, the tuning keys are different. Western guitars are more popular to play because they're easier to play (because of the narrow and slim neck) and their sound is much brighter than classical's. Because of the steel strings this kind is more suitable for playing with a pick than the nylon one; since nylon-guitars are better to play with finger-picking.
(You know, novice guys never believe it's worth to learn how to play with fingers first... and when they desire to play e.g. Tears in Heaven from Clapton... well, just look at their faces :D )
Western guitars usually have 14 frets from head to body, plus 6 to bridge. (On classical these are 12 and 7) Some guitars have cut bodies to reach frets 15 to 20 easier.

This particular guitar (a Western) shows us CR's fine taste since; as Pab pointed before; it's not a cheap one.
This one on the photo have pearl squares indicating 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th... frets; CR's has points instead.
It also has a nice pickguard (which is quite unnecessary; because if you really play guitar you'll scratch the body all over with or without a pickguard :D )
On Guild Guitar Company, it's a USA-based manufacturer formed in 1952, New York City. Though making electrics as well, they're most known of acoustic guitars. In fact, when you see a 'superstar' playing some acoustics on stage, the guitar is 90% a Guild. Let' see a few names: Bryan Adams, Eric Clapton, Johnny Cash(ł), George Benson, Sheryl Crow, Bob Dylan, Brian May, Tom Waits, Paul Simon and Bruce Springsteen (both play 12-string either)... Chris Rea.

And the main thing; where to hear it. It's basically used on Country Blues and Latin Blues, but several other places, too. As I wrote above, when you play rhythm on a Western it can be put in every kind of songs. It's only not so stressed there; mixed to a lower volume, maybe panned to one side.
(So, if you haven't noticed yet, I love acoustic guitars a lot.. great for playing slide, too, that I practise many times.)

Well, that's for now since I've received some work to do but I come back with a Gretsch until the end of weekend.
Thanks for staying with me,
Chris
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
PAB
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by PAB »

Hi everybody, Hi Chris, Great post, as usual. BUT,....

....What is this? You did lend your "stony road" DVD? :shock:
You can buy a new one to offer it, you can even copy it (and go to jail), but lending it? It's beyond everything. I'm still shaked. :roll:
About the little blue guitar, you know what: I'll capture a picture on screen (to show it here) and check the "time" on the dvd. So you won't have to search on it. If you have it back. Nothing is less sure.

Enjoy the w-e.
PAb

PS: fortunately the Bart's site exists, because the official one .... oups. Is there anybody on board?
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
Thanks Chris for the latest post.I am still enjoying these very much and I look forward to the next one.
PAB wrote:fortunately the Bart's site exists, because the official one .... oups. Is there anybody on board?
Simple answer here PAB is "no" as they haven't even bothered to update the site to name the winner of the record player.Enjoy what's left of the weekend
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

I loved the Afri-can he used for catfish girl on the stony road tour but haven't seen or heard of it since. I don't understand guitar tech stuff, not being a player but I know what I like listening to!!
Regards,
Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey everyone,

Pab, you're very funny indeed. :lol: Actually that's a great friend who borrowed it though I could draw blood to have it back... maybe I would.
Tina3 wrote: Simple answer here PAB is "no" as they haven't even bothered to update the site to name the winner of the record player.
That's true; though the winner hasn't bothered too much, either, to sell the player right after he got it... as we discussed it before somewhere else.
Tina3 wrote: Thanks Chris for the latest post.I am still enjoying these very much and I look forward to the next one.
Well, here it is (though a bit later than I promised, sorry):

12. Gretsch Country Gentleman
If there is a pure rock rhythm guitar then Gretsch knows how to make it. This U.S. brand itself was founded in 1883 by German immigrant Friedrich Gretsch. Funny, they actually started with drumkits... their first success was with the Gretsch Broadkaster drumkit that made Leo Fender to change the name of his pioneering electric guitar, the Broadcaster... so it became Telecaster. As a late reward for Leo, in 2003, Fender Guitar Company took full control over production and distribution of Gretsch guitars.
This particular model CR uses is one of the most popular Gretsch guitars; George Harrison played this through the Beatles years. Later it also became very popular among rockabilly artists because of the quite rough and rocky tone made by the two humbucker pickups. Beside its electric tone this guitar also keeps the sound of an acoustic very much... after all it's a semi-electric one. It greatly accompanies CR's Maranello.
When searching for its sound, first note it's not a solo guitar but a rhythm. CR played it mainly on Disc 11 of Blue Guitars but it appears in Louisiana, Texas or Gospel. So just look out for that rough sound, similar to Maranello's but less 'electronic', strumming in the background. If you listen some rockabilly tracks you'll know what I mean.
But if you don't ( :D ) grab 60's & 70's and push play for track 11, Mindless. Here we go...

By the way, this is the kind of guitar Bono from U2 owns (a green one called Irish Falcon) and B. Adams' guitarist Keith Scott usually plays it when they decide switching to a classical rock style.
I know it's kinda off-topic but I have to tell you, after all it's about guitars; so when I went to see Bryan on the Anthology tour in November, 2006, around the first third of the show he once took a nice red Gretsch, smash a D chord quietly while doing his 'bad-boy-smiling'... that was the moment I knew it'd be Summer of 69! And before I was afraid he was gonna do the acoustic version of it, like many times before which is great but I was desired to hear the original one that time... and they did so. That was the best performance of that track ever, so roughly rocky that the house almost crashed down! So I'm sorry for this 'dissipation' but this is my greatest memory of a Gretsch guitar.

Back to the sound, besides Mindless it's also very significant in My Baby Told Me (Blues), Got To Be Moving or Cool Cool Blue from Disc 11. Another great place to discover is the Blue Street (Five Guitars) album where the five guitars are the Maranello, the Strat, the Thinline, the Hofner Bass and the Country Gentleman.

Well, I hope you enjoyed this one, too, and I gave you something new to explore.
Have a nice day everybody,
Chris

P.S. There still are guitars left.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi chris,
What can I say to this post.For the last month or so all I have listened to when I am out is disc 11 of B.G.The song I like most is "Mindless".This is so cool now I have an idea as to what Chris is playing.I am off to listen to Blue Street 5 guitars to see if I can pick out which guitar is which.I doubt I will get them all but I will keep trying till I sort out which is which :)
chrismiller wrote:that was the moment I knew it'd be Summer of 69! And before I was afraid he was gonna do the acoustic version of it, like many times before which is great but I was desired to hear the original one that time...
I agree totally the original vertsion of Summer of'69 is the best ever. The acoustic version is good but I prefer the original.My daughter is a hugh B.Adams fan so I hear this song quite a bit which I don't mind the least :) :)
chrismiller wrote:Actually that's a great friend who borrowed it though I could draw blood to have it back... maybe I would.
A tip for you Chris... best to keep your friends as they are good to have BUT don't lend out any of your C.R material cause you run the risk that the person will realise what a fanastic musician he is and will not want to give it back :lol: :lol:
Thanks for the latest post I have enough to keep me going till the next one which I am looking forward to already :) :) .Hope you have a great day
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Chris
I sent the article to Alan 1958 (Alan do you still have it ?) but there was an article in our newspaper that Randy Bachman has just donated something like 347 Gretsch guitars to the Gretsch museum.He's been collecting since his favorite Gretsch was stolen in 1972 (?) from his hotel room.He swears that one of the Thompson twins has it and even sent one of his roadies to thier recent Vancouver concert to try and find it.The roadie was told it was far too valuable for them to travel with. Just a side bit of trivia !
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
PAB
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by PAB »

Hi everybody,

This is the famous blue guitar I don't recognized (01h01m42s on the DVD Stony road).
I decided to start an hunger strike until somebody finds the solution.
Help, I am already hungry. :(

ImageImage

:D PAb