The man The voice The guitar

DVD : magical but wrong pictures during Road to Hell solo

Stop the presses
Bruphie
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

DVD : magical but wrong pictures during Road to Hell solo

Post by Bruphie »

I've received the double CD on thursday from amazon.co.uk : brilliant, I've been listening to it non stop since then.
This morning even greatest news : the double DVD was delivered to my home (from french site FNAC), as soon as I opened the box I started watching it, it was pure magic, very emotional, full of genious and inspired guitar playing... until the Road to Hell endind solo : CHRIS IS NOT PLAYING LIVE : IT'S PLAY BACK !! I was stunned. He starts playing the solo but all the sudden he turns to playing rythm guitar... while we can hear the solo going on. And it's pure Rea style slide guitar, so there's no chance it's Robert Hawaï doing the solo. I can't begin to understand why he chose do to that and even more why he's showing it on the DVD, and in the "climaxe" song of the set. Does anyone have any information to help me understand what happened and why ?

Thanks for any help

Brunoooh
Last edited by Bruphie on 21 Oct 2006, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
Caper
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Caper »

Hi Bruphie,

I just have a quick question about your DVD. I've noticed that every site except Amazon.co.uk lists the DVD as being Region 0, while Amazon shows it as being PAL, I am assuming that Amazon is in error here. So I was wondering if you can tell me whether it is NTSC Region 0 or PAL.

Thanks
Brian
Bruphie
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Bruphie »

Hi Brian,

The DVD is PAL and it's not region locked (Region=0)

BTW I've been trying to find reasons to explain the "fake" solo :
- Maybe he couldn't play that particular solo on the same guitar as the rest of the song and couldn't swap guitar in the middle of it ? (not very realistic, I saw him playing the whole song on "Pinkie" on an earlier tour)
- Maybe he wanted that solo perfect for the recording day (even less probable)
- Or maybe he did play it live that night but it's the pictures that are wrong :
on the distant cameras shots it seems that he's really playing the solo, while on the close-ups he's playing rythm. Maybe something wrong happened to the camera (live) or what was filmed (later) and the DVD editor just filled in ? Well it doesn't sound very realistic either but that would be a recomforting Rea-fan hypothesis

Once again if anyone has any clue about this I'd really like to know the reason.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Bruphie wrote:Hi Brian,

The DVD is PAL and it's not region locked (Region=0)

BTW I've been trying to find reasons to explain the "fake" solo :
- Maybe he couldn't play that particular solo on the same guitar as the rest of the song and couldn't swap guitar in the middle of it ? (not very realistic, I saw him playing the whole song on "Pinkie" on an earlier tour)
- Maybe he wanted that solo perfect for the recording day (even less probable)
- Or maybe he did play it live that night but it's the pictures that are wrong :
on the distant cameras shots it seems that he's really playing the solo, while on the close-ups he's playing rythm. Maybe something wrong happened to the camera (live) or what was filmed (later) and the DVD editor just filled in ? Well it doesn't sound very realistic either but that would be a recomforting Rea-fan hypothesis

Once again if anyone has any clue about this I'd really like to know the reason.
--------

Hi,
Here is a possible explanation:
I guess it's a common problem on many DVDs. The editor attached the wrong picture to the soundtrack. Therefore, while Chris is playing solo, the picture shows him taking on the rhythm guitar.
There is, for instance, this DVD "To Tulsa and Back" (on tour with J.J. Cale), with J.J. Cale playing 'live' at the Cane's Ballroom in Tulsa and one of the musicians is doing slide solo. At one moment he is showed with his glass sliding pipe on his pinkie (little finger) and the next picture shows him relaxing and picking his slide guitar the "normal way" (while the solo is still being played on...)
Take care,
Chris
gjvg
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Re: DVD : magical until it seems Chris isn't playing live :-

Post by gjvg »

Bruphie wrote:... until the Road to Hell endind solo : CHRIS IS NOT PLAYING LIVE : IT'S PLAY BACK !! I was stunned. He starts playing the solo but all the sudden he turns to playing rythm guitar... while we can hear the solo going on. And it's pure Rea style slide guitar, so there's no chance it's Robert Hawaï doing the solo. I can't begin to understand why he chose do to that and even more why he's showing it on the DVD, and in the "climaxe" song of the set. Does anyone have any information to help me understand what happened and why ?

Thanks for any help

Brunoooh
I just watched the DVD. It's very good.
The only thing I can't understand is why just in this number the technicians did such a bad job: of course all the sound is live. also the pictures are live. The editing of the pictures in this number is very bad.
As you want to see the solo for some reaon they used the wrong pictures.
Bruphie
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Bruphie »

I've watched this part over and over and I can now say that it really appears to be an editor error :

as I've said, on the distant cams the movements of Chris's arms match the solo, but for some reason a few seconds after the final solo starts the camera changes to the (close) one facing the drumer and Chris is playing the rythm guitar part, AND :

the beat of the drum we can hear does not match what we see Martin Ditcham do on the screen.

I think the pictures we see during the solo are those from the part just after the solo but from a different angle than those used at the proper timing.

...er, than was a pretty complicated explanation, I hope it make sense to you guys

Anyway, after watching the DVD almost all day long, I can only say : "the man is a f******g genious"

And now, I think that it's the editor that should get my anger and get hanged on some tree, to me it's very frustrating not to actually "see" Chris play his "last ever" Road to Hell solo.

I know it's the one and only official live recording from Chris Rea, but if (by chance) some of you would know where to find live footage of Chris playing the Road to Hell, I'd really appreciate your help

Oh and while I'm asking questions and "settling things that annoy me" :
On the documentary (second DVD) Chris says the same thing he said on the DVD from "Blue guitars" : it all started when he first heard Charly Patton, he asked his friend and learned what a bottleneck was, etc...
But I own at least two books with interviews from Chris at different moments during the "Road to Hell/Auberge" era, and he tells the exact same story... except that he mentions Joe Walsh.
Was he lying then ? Is he now ? Did both journalists changed what he said ? Was he forced to disguise the truth ?
If anyone has an explanation, it's very welcome
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Re: DVD : magical but wrong pictures during Road to Hell sol

Post by Jutta »

Bruphie wrote:I've received the double CD on thursday from amazon.co.uk : brilliant, I've been listening to it non stop since then.
This morning even greatest news : the double DVD was delivered to my home (from french site FNAC), as soon as I opened the box I started watching it, it was pure magic, very emotional, full of genious and inspired guitar playing... until the Road to Hell endind solo : CHRIS IS NOT PLAYING LIVE : IT'S PLAY BACK !! I was stunned. He starts playing the solo but all the sudden he turns to playing rythm guitar... while we can hear the solo going on. And it's pure Rea style slide guitar, so there's no chance it's Robert Hawaï doing the solo. I can't begin to understand why he chose do to that and even more why he's showing it on the DVD, and in the "climaxe" song of the set. Does anyone have any information to help me understand what happened and why ?

Thanks for any help

Brunoooh

Chris could never be good at playback. How could he ever know how to use his fingers at the right moment, when he never listens to his own recordings? Ha! :P
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Bruphie wrote:
On the documentary (second DVD) Chris says the same thing he said on the DVD from "Blue guitars" : it all started when he first heard Charly Patton, he asked his friend and learned what a bottleneck was, etc...
But I own at least two books with interviews from Chris at different moments during the "Road to Hell/Auberge" era, and he tells the exact same story... except that he mentions Joe Walsh.
Was he lying then ? Is he now ? Did both journalists changed what he said ? Was he forced to disguise the truth ?
-------------

The way I see it: Chris Rea - gradually - as he matured in his own musical style - had listed some of his favorite musicians and pointed out to Joe Walsh as one of his masters. He imitated Walsh and Miles Davis. Latter on he discovered who the 'real blues musicians' were, he remembered "Motown" sound from his teenage years, and put it all together...
Now, in interviews, he refers mostly to Charley Patton, Robert Johnson, Blind Willie, Muddy Waters and others.
But, let's wait for his autobiography. Perhaps he will shed some additional light on the subject.
Take care,
Chris
Chris Wastell
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Chris Wastell »

Bruphie wrote:I've watched this part over and over and I can now say that it really appears to be an editor error :

as I've said, on the distant cams the movements of Chris's arms match the solo, but for some reason a few seconds after the final solo starts the camera changes to the (close) one facing the drumer and Chris is playing the rythm guitar part, AND :

the beat of the drum we can hear does not match what we see Martin Ditcham do on the screen.

I think the pictures we see during the solo are those from the part just after the solo but from a different angle than those used at the proper timing.

...er, than was a pretty complicated explanation, I hope it make sense to you guys

Anyway, after watching the DVD almost all day long, I can only say : "the man is a f******g genious"

And now, I think that it's the editor that should get my anger and get hanged on some tree, to me it's very frustrating not to actually "see" Chris play his "last ever" Road to Hell solo.

I know it's the one and only official live recording from Chris Rea, but if (by chance) some of you would know where to find live footage of Chris playing the Road to Hell, I'd really appreciate your help

what your trying to say is that the soundtrack of the dvd is out of sync with the pictures on your screen. I would seriously suggest a) checking it on a different dvd player eg. see if a friend can try it for you as if your dvd player is quite old things do go wrong in this era of mass production b) if its not your dvd player at fault get the dvd replaced it could just be a bad copy as this does happen .... and remember this is Chris Rea we are talking about not the spice girls ... Chris isnt going to mime on a live performance!!! :P lol
ronald
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by ronald »

Chris Wastell wrote:what your trying to say is that the soundtrack of the dvd is out of sync with the pictures on your screen.
Out of sync in some parts of one song? Not likely... The scene somehow attracted my attention, but i didn't think anything of it 'till i read this thread...Stupid mistake by the editor/director... Possibly the mistake is made by combining material from the two nights (there were two performances recorded!)
My Chris Rea page: http://www.chrisrea.biz
Chris Wastell
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Chris Wastell »

ronald wrote:
Chris Wastell wrote:what your trying to say is that the soundtrack of the dvd is out of sync with the pictures on your screen.
Out of sync in some parts of one song? Not likely... The scene somehow attracted my attention, but i didn't think anything of it 'till i read this thread...Stupid mistake by the editor/director... Possibly the mistake is made by combining material from the two nights (there were two performances recorded!)
Possibly but I think youll find the chances of them being out of sync in just certain parts is quite high actually.... like any playback on a dvd or pc there is a certain element that things can be effected by what else is happening, a lack of memory or just a bad copy.
Bruphie
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Bruphie »

Chris Wastell wrote:Possibly but I think youll find the chances of them being out of sync in just certain parts is quite high actually.... like any playback on a dvd or pc there is a certain element that things can be effected by what else is happening, a lack of memory or just a bad copy.
Nope, out of sync is not an option, I tried to explain previously how it appears on the screen, but I think you'll understand much better when you see it by yourself. And just to answer your suggestion : at first I played the dvd in my living room player several times and, when I wanted to pinpoint the moment where things go wrong, I've played it on my computer too. Same result, same timing : during the ending guitar solo, the close up camera "shows" Chris playing rythm chords that happen just after the solo when the piano is playing.

Maybe it's only bothering die-hard-fans, but I wonder if there's a chance that this situation might someday come up to Chris himself or to the dvd editor, and if there's any chance in hell that they'd release the missing picture on the web ?