The man The voice The guitar

The Tour 2017

Stop the presses
Munich-1983
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

The Tour 2017

Post by Munich-1983 »

Hello everybody, I´ve seen some clips from the first concert in Amsterdam yesterday. And, to be frank, it appeared a bit boring. It were quite the same songs/arrangements as in the last tour up from 2010.
Chris jammed through the old songs in an (as I find) uninspirated way: Josephine, on the beach and looking for the summer - they all sounded equal; poor athmosphere, even less empathie, no tingly, jazzy (piano-) solos like with the younger Max Middleton. Especially these three songs lived by Max´ contributions and the funny dialogue between guitar and piano. Nothing left from this. Chris did also not speak to the audience, not even look or establish some contact. I found even not a sign of grace of his age. When I compare the Amsterdam concert with the Scene in the BBC Piano room: there we could see a sympathic, graceful, styleful man of the old way. In the concert we must se a pale figure in T-Shirt and jeans, who tried be appear young and jammed grimly through his songs. I can only hope, that he changes his mind a little bit in the next days. I would prefere the Chris out of the BBC piano room and interview, instead of the Chris who is a copy of a copy of the last 3 tours. Best REAgards!
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Re: The Tour 2017

Post by MRB »

few things:

- I knew setlist would follow the past tours

- He has said he ain't the rock star type of guy who makes the audience eat out of his hand, that includes the fact he ain't taking contact that much and he surely won't wear clothes he would feel uncomfortable. He just plays the songs and that's it.

- it was first gig of the tour, he might get a bit looser when the tour goes on

then questions:

- did he play any new songs and if did, which one ?

- there seems to be two keyboard players, who is the other guy, Neil we know?
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Chris says the name here, but I don't know the guy so I wouldn't be able to spell the name
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVJ6r1Csnno&t=3m39s
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

yes he says but can't make any sense of the name :D

EDIT: Road Ahead was played at least from the new album, it is on youtube
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

The Road Ahead sounded a bit raw, but I agree that it is likely to become looser and more natural as the tour goes on
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

well, I would not say anything about the phone recordings, sounds bad always :)

Wonder which song was cut out from the set to make space for Road Ahead and was there other new songs??

Hey people who were there, give us the setlist already :D
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

EDIT:

Confirmed!! setlist from facebook:

Last Open road
Happy on the Road (New song!!)
Nothing Left Behind (New song!!)
Josephine
Easy rider
Two lost souls (Chris singing without guitar, New song!!)
Julia
Money (New song!!)
Looking for the summer
Stony road
Till the morning
Road Ahead (New song!!)
Stainsby girls
Road to hell
On the beach
Lets dance

Very suprised of the amount of new songs!
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

The songs from RFL I like the least - and the well known songs since many years :(
My worst expectations have been confirmed.
What a load of ...
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

it could be worse if he played only one new song and then the same old setlist.

wish he had changed some of the old songs for example to Windy Town or Curse of the traveller (which would fit to theme of road songs)
tobi777 wrote:The songs from RFL I like the least - and the well known songs since many years :(
My worst expectations have been confirmed.
What a load of ...
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hi guys,
I was there last night and was impressed.
Chris spoke to his public, not a lot, but made a remark and thank you's.
He did 5 new songs, amongest a great new version of Stainsby girls. The start was only with piano and hell broke lose after that in guitar.
2 new bandmembers, James Awhai and Mal Maddock! See link: https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A% ... 1ehYU51Uy0
I happened to be in the hall during the soundcheck and they played some of the songs of the new album, so rehearsing too.
The setlist has 5 new songs. This is the biggest change in 10 years. So please watch a whole gig and say what you think.
I really had goosebump moments. He rocked, did some Blues and also ballads. The show must grow, but in the end it will be spectacular. Chris is a bit like he used to be.
I'm happy I'll be able to see him in december as well. The first night and one of the last nights. I can't wait.
So please think positive if you go and see him,he might suprise you.
He did suprise me.
Addition:
Driving home for Christmas will be played in the last shows, instead of Julia or Money.
I hope Money will be played, it was done well.
You're never to old to dance!
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hello Ann and all,

I'm glad to hear the tour got to a good start in Amsterdam this past Saturday.
I also wouldn't mind listening to all his 'old' songs, therefore I'm surprised he included this many new track from his newest album. There are already enough videos on YouTube to give anyone an idea how it was to be there.

Over the weekend I was listening, time and over again, to "Road Songs For Lovers" and I must say I'm convinced this is a great album. Lyrics are not too sophisticated, granted; but are just fine for anyone to interpret them his/her way. The melodies, on the other hand, all sound too familiar to all of us, but overall I enjoyed listening to it very much. In this age of senseless computer games being played and us being spied on in the net, we all need something to reflect to; to regain our feelings back. Since we don't talk to each other anymore (but texting and emailing each others!) at least we can take a few moments to listen to something pleasant.
That is why I'm grateful to Chris for his work.
All the best to all of you,
Chris
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:new version of Stainsby girls. The start was only with piano and hell broke lose after that in guitar.
This version is actually not brand new - he played it in the same way upon Just Passing Through Tour in late 1986 (but there were snippets from Winning in that piano-driven version).
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
Leo
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Leo »

I went to see the gig in Amsterdam and I really liked it. You can argue about his clothing style and his (lack of) contact with the audience (I heard more complaints about the latter in the row to the wardrobe), but hey, this is Chris Rea we are talking about! In the past 3 shows I visited, he never chatted with the audience. You come to see his performance, not what he is wearing.
1) Some guitar solos/improvisations, like the one during Til The Morning, were better during the 2014 tour, especially during Antwerp gig, but this might get better in a later stage of the tour
2) I missed the female background choir from the 2014 tour - they really made a nice contrast with Chris Rea's voice
3) I made some recordings and when I listened to them afterwards, I noticed he had problems with some parts of his old songs. He'd better choose his songs more carefully, based on what he is able to sing fluently, but then, I think, people will stay at home....
4) It was nice to see how he performed Stainsby Girls; first version only vocal (nice link to the BBC 2 Piano Room performance!), then 2nd version only instrumentally.
Immediately after the concert I went to the backstage exit at the back side of the theater, hoping to see a glimpse of Chris Rea. I didn't expect anything, but suddenly all the band crew members came outside, without Chris. I was surprised of their height; on stage, some seem longer, other seem taller. In a German Mercedes van, packed with suitcases, they drove away. I waited another 5 minutes, but no Chris
gjvg
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by gjvg »

ann268 wrote:Driving home for Christmas will be played in the last shows, instead of Julia or Money.
I hope Money will be played, it was done well.
On the CD I skipped the version of "Money". couldn't listen to it. But his version in Amsterdam was GREAT.

The new version of Stainsby Girls , the part vocal/piano, gave me goosebumbs..
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

The performance gave me goosebumps several times. I liked the changes and I like the new Album.
Julia is a good song, but I liked Money Live better.
We loved the part of rehearsing/soundcheck too. To sad you didn't get Chris Leo.
You're never to old to dance!