The man The voice The guitar

Berlin February4th 2012 ICC - SPOILER!!!

tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Berlin February4th 2012 ICC - SPOILER!!!

Post by tobi777 »

Hi all,

just got back from the concert and would like to share a few thoughts about the gig.

The band started at 8pm with "Last Open Road" from the new album. I was very pleased to see Max back in the band! The songs:

The Last Open Road
Work Gang
Where The Blues Come From
Josephine
Easy Rider
'Til The Morning Sun Shines On My Love And Me
Looking For The Summer
Julia
Stony Road
Come So Far, Yet Still So Far To Go
Somewhere Between Highway 61 & 49
Stainsby Girls
Road to Hell

On the Beach
Let's Dance
It's All Gone :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I must say that Kirt Rust (drums) and Anto Drennan (guitars) did extremely well and indeed breathed new life into the whole machinery... Unfortunately the setlist is almost identical to these of the last two tours - they missed the opportunity to bring some new ideas. Also Max Middleton sounded a bit rusty - not a patch on his work in the 80s and early 90s :( Anyway, this was the best concert since 1993 in my opinion - and the sound was almost pristine. Chris' voice was also in perfect shape - he sounded great!

"It's All Gone" gave me goose bumps - I've never had the opportunity to hear this song live since Chris played this song for the last time in 1989 (??? - please correct me).

Cheers,

Tobi
vivienne
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Re: Berlin February4th 2012 ICC - SPOILER!!!

Post by vivienne »

Thanks for that. For those that cannot make the concerts is really great to hear reports from those who have. Did Chris play Josephine on the Banjo? I have figured out that his setlist will always include Josephine, Julia, Stainsby Girls, Stony Road and Easy Rider for their personal reference to those close to him.
Looking forward to hearing other reviews of the concerts :D
'Til the morning sun shines
On my love and me
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Thanks so much for the review! I'm sure the last song will give me the goose bumps too :D
To be precise, 'The Last Open Road' is from the RTHII album, it's not the best song there, but better than on the last album to me anyway :)
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

maybe robert and martin left the band because they didnt want to keep playing those same old songs over and over again. silly, new album and not one new song from it played on live, Last Open Road is from Road To Hell 2 album (remake in santo spirito). good thing new members have given new blood to this (guitar player had good thing going on youtube video). but where is real changes to setlist, third tour with 95% same songs ? strange.
Zel
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Zel »

Last tour we met Chris's band on red square in Moscow. Robert had some problems with his fingers on right hand. My friend tried to shake his arm, but it's harm and pained for him. Fingers were in bandage!!! :(
Maybe that's reason of his absence on this tour.

PS Set list is a biggest sad for me. Where's Electric Guitar????!!!! :? :? :? Where's old hits? Where's "I can wait..." with fantastic solo :cry: Where's TRTH "Texas"? The Blue Cafe tour "Shadow of a big man"? KOTB "Who do you love"? It's great tour material with easy singing on stage. I don't ask "La passione" material, it really hard to singing it on stage for Him.
I am very disappointed :? Why He saved "Easy Rider"? His voice it's not so good as could be. Easy rider built in most generally part, on voice, but people would like to hear a fantastic guitar play, not screaming of old man. IMHO !!!! :?
Zel
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Zel »

elangelo wrote:Thanks so much for the review! I'm sure the last song will give me the goose bumps too :D
To be precise, 'The Last Open Road' is from the RTHII album, it's not the best song there, but better than on the last album to me anyway :)
Dmitriy will You be on concert? If yes, tell me your seat, please. :D
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Wow Zel, you're emotional, maybe because your ticket is so expensive :lol:
I will be there but far away from the stage, got cheaper tickets this time :)
The worst is gone....
familychild
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by familychild »

i'm not dissapointed nor angry or upset or anything - i don't mind if chris would play the same songs again and again . i'm just glad he`s still alive and we can listen to his music.
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

familychild wrote:i'm not dissapointed nor angry or upset or anything - i don't mind if chris would play the same songs again and again . i'm just glad he`s still alive and we can listen to his music.
Alhtough I was a bit disapointed at first as well, I couldn't agree with you more. Sure I would have loved to see some other tracks played (last drink (Blue guitars), Seabird, The chance of love, just to name a few) and sure that would have given us die hard fans a bit more value-for-money, but on the other hand... No one forces us to go and see The Man! Even though I wonder why he won't choose another list, I am still looking forward very much for Amsterdam and Antwerp!
All the best!
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
Zel
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Zel »

to elangelo:

Not so expensive as could be, if concert will be in Kremlin. In Crocus I bought first row center. it costs 375 eur. In Kremlin, i think, it'll be cost 700 eur. Thanks God, it's Crocus not Kremlin.

(...)

Edit webmaster: Please follow rule 2.1. Last warning.
MartinBitcham
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by MartinBitcham »

i'm extremely disappointed of the set list, boring, boring, boring! i bought 2 tickets for dortmund in the first row!, because i thought he will play songs from the new album. i think i will sell the tickets again. my favourite track "i can't wait for love" has been replaced by the boring song "last open road", that's also disappointing.
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

Zel wrote:to elangelo:

Not so expensive as could be, if concert will be in Kremlin. In Crocus I bought first row center. it costs 375 eur. In Kremlin, i think, it'll be cost 700 eur. Thanks God, it's Crocus not Kremlin.

PS I'll try to recording concert from first row. 8) video camera HD 1080i and phone hd 720i. I heard that In Crocus hall security's not so strong as in Kremlin.
THAT IS SIMPLY A ROBBERY !!!! Who asks that much money over a simple concert ticket ???
I saw Mark Knopfler and Bob Dylan and the highest price tickets were 90 euros, thats front row too....

Correct everyone if I´m wrong, but that talk about recording concert is against good behave around here ?
I mean Reas staff don´t want anything illegal stuff here ?
Zel
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Zel »

Yes that's Russia. All concert extreme-expensive, like other life. Salary of major part of citizen who live in Russia is 200-400 eur. In Moscow middle salary is 1000 eur. Russia has 30% of all nature treasures on planet, but people are poors, because officials(government people) works only for personal enrichment. Corruption is a main idea for all bastards whose rule in Russia.
Thats why all enjoy project are so expansive.

(...)

Sorry for my English.

Edit webmaster: Please follow rule 2.1.
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Well, 'even though' I'm Russian, I don't like the idea of a bootleg recording, but it's up to you, Zel. By the way, in 2006, I simply tried to write down the set list and I found that it distracted me from enjoying the music, so I would just enjoy the show while it's happening.

As for the prices (to MRB), Mark Knopfler was even more expensive than Chris Rea here in Moscow. Knowing the prices for European / English gigs, I'm afraid Chris himself won't get so much more for a Moscow gig, so I would say that 80% of the profit doesn't have anything to do with the artist here :?
The worst is gone....
Zel
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Zel »

(...)

Edit webmaster: Please follow rule 2.1.