The man The voice The guitar

Tour Reports 2010

telemonster
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Re: Tour Reports 2010

Post by telemonster »

Last night's gig at Sheffield City Hall was fantastic! It's a great venue (my fave), the sound was spot on, the band were great. What a glorious noise!
Great material... Sorry I can't do you a setlist, as I don't know all his stuff, and I never think to take notes.
Really can't praise Chris and the band highly enough!
I enjoyed the support guy, too.. nice guitar playing... Quite humorous..

A great night!
Oliver
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Oliver »

Have to agree with telemonster. FANTASTIC gig! Chris was on top form and the band was outstanding, especially Robert who really was on top of his game. Chris and Robert are really tuned in to each others playing -brilliant.

Set list was strong and the stand outs were 'Highway 49 and 61' , 'Electric Guitar' , 'Josephine' - in fact all of them. There wasn't a single bad track.

Seen Chris 7 times now and I think he just gets better and better.

Perfect night and front row centre seats to boot. Great view of his playing. TOP CLASS.
Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Peter S... »

Hi,

I had a very enjoyable evening last night.

The concert went as expected with Chris in fine form, still struggling
with the quick change between slide and pick, I noticed at least twice
the pick went flying across the stage as he missed it.

As ever I enjoyed Stainsby Girls, and i thought Still So Far sounded
better than Bush Hall or the download from Paris.

The "never to old" section of Lets Dance has been refined and tweaked
to perfection, I though he had the Glasgow audience (who where of a
certan age group) in the palm of his hand and it made for a fine
ending to good concert.

Regards,

Peter S...
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

Peter S... wrote:Hi,

I had a very enjoyable evening last night.

The concert went as expected with Chris in fine form, still struggling
with the quick change between slide and pick, I noticed at least twice
the pick went flying across the stage as he missed it.

As ever I enjoyed Stainsby Girls, and i thought Still So Far sounded
better than Bush Hall or the download from Paris.

The "never to old" section of Lets Dance has been refined and tweaked
to perfection, I though he had the Glasgow audience (who where of a
certan age group) in the palm of his hand and it made for a fine
ending to good concert.

Regards,

Peter S...

Hi Peter,
Great to hear that a great time was had by all!
Regards,
Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
BLUEHOOD71
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by BLUEHOOD71 »

Was at Glasgow last night , saw Chris for the 7th or 8th time and I have to say in my opinion this was the best yet. I thought he was awesome from start to finish. For those still to see Chris you are in for a real treat. Have to say the audience in Glasgow was also the liveliest I can remember sure I saw a couple of dancing zimmers :lol: :lol:
alan1958
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by alan1958 »

Was at the Glasgow gig on Friday , and as Peter and BLUEHOOD already said , it was wonderful !! As has been mentioned before ,he managed to keep the same-old set-list fairly fresh with some nice changes to the arrangements of the songs. I know we would all like to hear our own personal favourites (it ain't going to happen ), but Chris has obviously gone for the "if it isn't broke , don't fix it " route , and i'm glad .I met a few non-fans after the gig , and they were stunned at the performance , not just Chris ,but the whole band .
Paul Casey is a nice addition , really helping with the backing vocals. The band really were in the background , even Sylvin, but amazingly tight , leaving Chris up-front on his own - the whole set was built around his guitar & voice !
As BLUEHOOD said , the audience were great ...when Stainsby Girls started, an old guy in the centre of the front row got up , and danced alone for about 30 seconds , then a young blond female beside us, who possibly out of pity, decided to get up and join him , and that was all it took ...I grabbed my wife's hand, and despite knowing that a hell of lot of pals behind would see me , got up and danced and clapped , ...all of a sudden most of the front stalls were on their feet ....it was clear from the band's reaction that this was not normal ....they were grinning from ear to ear...Glasgow is a favourite gig for most musicians , from R.E.M to Frank Sinatra , so it was great that they finally opened up and gave Chris and his band a great reception
I managed to meet the band (minus Mr Rea) after the gig , and still smiling ,they happily signed some stuff (Solo cd's by Robert & Sylvin)

All the best
Alan

here is a link to a review of the previous night's gig in Edinburgh
http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts-ents ... -1.1018271
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Vivienne from NZ sitting here with Tina in Dublin. After 31 hours flying and sitting around airports I finally arrived in a chilly Dublin on Saturday evening to be met by Tina. Before the show on Sunday we met up for a meal and went to check out the venue. On the off chance that Chris might already be at the theatre we walked down past the stage door and there standing outside was Chris and his daughter. We said "hi" and wished him well and when he replied we stopped and chatted for a few minutes. Time enough for me to get his autograph and when I mentioned I had flown from New Zealand to be at the gig and asked if I could have a photo with him Josephine stepped forward and offered to take it for me. Shaking like a leaf I couldn't believe that this was all happening. What amazing luck, that on my first time seeing Chris perform live I also got to speak to him. He was so pleasant, quiet and reserved but only too happy to stand with me for the photo. It was all over too soon and we walked away on a cloud.
Now my turn :) I decided to take a chance and bring with me the "Smile" album cover I bought some time back.I thought why you never know what might happen.I asked Chris could he do me a favor and sign it for me.When he saw what I had he was completely surprised and turned to Josephine and said "look at this".The grin on his face when he saw it was great.He looked both pleased and surprised and I got another photo taken with him. It was just fantastic and a great way to start the night.
Viv again. The Olympia Theatre is a lovely small old theatre, intimate and as we had front row seats we were very close to him on stage especially when he strutted and danced to the edge of the stage. There is not much more I can add to what has been said before about the show except to say that when Martin Ditchum started in on the drums the blast from the speakers pushed me back in my seat. The floor was vibrating and with such an old building I thought it might have shaken out all the borer dust! My first show was something I will remember for always and was well worth the cost to get here. I'd do it again tomorrow if I git the chance.
Viv and Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

THanks Everyone for your GREAT reports !
Tina & Viv. it sounds like you guys scored big :D ! What an experience to have ! :D
I'm so glad it was worth the trip Viv. and I think you'd agree when I told you it would be even better than you thought it would be ! THere is nothing quite like seeing him LIVE is there !
Good for you Allen to get up & dance ! At least you'll always know you're probably a better dancer than Chris but at least he tries too ! :lol:
I've only seen him once (Bush hall 2009) but i'm in for the next tour -HANG THE COST !
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

After skyping with Tina, Viv, and Kev just now, I had to come here and congratulate my good friends, (the usual suspects), for going to the gigs and having an excellent time :-)

Peter, so glad you enjoyed the gig with close friends, and you are right, Let's Dance has progressed into a whole new dimension, loving it now!

Alan, so proud of you for getting up and dancing!...:-) and dragging your wife with you, I wish someone would have recorded it, he he

Jim, I'm with you, totally worth the cost to cross the pond to see Chris play live...:-)

When Tina texted me yesterday that they had just met Chris before the concert, I called them right back and they were so excited, like two teenage girls, talking fast and giggling, thanks for sharing that moment together. I am so very happy you both got to meet Chris, chat, and take pictures, and the Smile photo was a genius touch...:-)

Cheers to you,

Lily
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi all,

I'm always happy for anyone to have a chance either to see or chat with Chris and even to get an autograph or picture taken with him. It only shows that he is a carrying, pleasant and a passionate person. That Chris Rea is not scaring or pushing people away... Certainly, he appreciate fans coming and showing him rare recordings he is surprised to see and he gladly autographs them. I regret I couldn't so far see him in person. But I understand he has his right to have some privacy in-between concerts or recording sessions.
I'm glad Lily came back to this forum, even if only to visit...
I was wondering, would there be a chance, in this electronic age of ours, to have this great tour recorded in any format?
I remember, in my teenage years, in early 60s (1960s, that is!) there were "fun clubs" that would issue special recordings on .45 vinyl (there were no cassettes, eight-track car cassettes nor CDs at the time!) marked: "for- club-members-only." So, perhaps a limited edition of this tour could be printed on either CD, 2CD, DVD or 2DVD by the official CR's site?
Best regards,
Chris
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi Chris.... :D

Email me and I'll give you all the info about it.

Lily
vivienne
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by vivienne »

After 33 hours of flying and sitting in airports I finally got back home to New Zealand and went straight to bed for some much needed sleep. Well the tour is now over but not forgotten. My memories of the concert in Dublin will live on and I am so pleased I travelled so far to see him. Thanks Tina for your amazing hospitality and for making this happen. You made the journey and the experience so much easier. The time you spent with me is really appreciated - meeting me at the airport, being at the show with you, having meals together, meeting your lovely children, showing me Dublin and of course meeting Chris. I had a truly great time and got to have lots of laughs and fun with a really dedicated Chris Rea fan. :D We'll have to do it again next time!

I have some photos of the night but can't seem to attach them - don't know what I'm doing wrong, but will try later
'Til the morning sun shines
On my love and me
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

vivienne wrote:After 33 hours of flying and sitting in airports I finally got back home to New Zealand and went straight to bed for some much needed sleep. Well the tour is now over but not forgotten. My memories of the concert in Dublin will live on and I am so pleased I travelled so far to see him. Thanks Tina for your amazing hospitality and for making this happen. You made the journey and the experience so much easier. The time you spent with me is really appreciated - meeting me at the airport, being at the show with you, having meals together, meeting your lovely children, showing me Dublin and of course meeting Chris. I had a truly great time and got to have lots of laughs and fun with a really dedicated Chris Rea fan. :D We'll have to do it again next time!

I have some photos of the night but can't seem to attach them - don't know what I'm doing wrong, but will try later
Quite amazing to travel such long way and actually even manage to meet Chris :)
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Yes, my congratulations!
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

vivienne wrote:Thanks Tina for your amazing hospitality and for making this happen. You made the journey and the experience so much easier. The time you spent with me is really appreciated - meeting me at the airport, being at the show with you, having meals together, meeting your lovely children, showing me Dublin
Hi Viv :)
It was a pleasure I really enjoyed myself but if you hadn't done all that travelling none of this would have been possible.
vivienne wrote:and of course meeting Chris. I had a truly great time and got to have lots of laughs and fun with a really dedicated Chris Rea fan. :D We'll have to do it again next time!

In some ways I still don't believe we managed to meet Chris thankfully we have the proof :) :)
Yes we have to do it again I just hope your up to another 33 hour flying time.Between this concert and Bush Hall last year Chris concerts will never be the same for me again.I think I have to go with other fans as nothing else comes close not non Chris fans or family.These memories will live on forever :)

Viv a very BIG thank you for making the night so memorable for me as you are as dedicated a fan as I :)
It was so much fun :)

Mr_Blues wrote:Quite amazing to travel such long way and actually even manage to meet Chris
elangelo wrote:Yes, my congratulations!
Yes it was Mr Blues we couldn't have asked it to go any better :)
Thank you Elangelo :)
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.