The man The voice The guitar

Ain't Going Down This Way

Let us know what your favourite song is
alan1958
guitaREA
guitaREA

Ain't Going Down This Way

Post by alan1958 »

I was listening to some CR under the headphones the other night on shuffle , and ,Track 7 on Disc " of Dancing Down The Stony Road [Disc 2] is the song Ain't Going Down This Way ......I had always thought it was a nice wee toe-tapper .....but folks , go and put it on NOW!!!!!!!! It is just acoustic slide , a basic piano riff & the best voice in the world .....I think it is just him on all instruments .....but try it under the headphones .....stunning :) :) :) :) :)
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Re: Ain't Going Down This Way

Post by Chris »

Hi Alan,

Thank you for pointing out to this fine song. I'm listening to it right now on my computer using earphones. It's great indeed!
Buy-the-way, it's track number 3 on disc 2 of the "Stony Road" of this 2cd album that I have.
CD#2
1. Sun Is Rising 6.47
2. Got To Be Moving On 3.48
3. Ain't Going Down This Way 3.14
4. Catfish Girl 3.14
5. Ride On 4.18
6. Segway 2.24
7. Qualified 4.54

Take care,
Chris
Zeljko
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Zeljko »

Yes, this one is quite a song..great lyrics...no, i aint going down this way..no sir.......

So powerful song!!

Chris come on here and share ur thoughts with us man!!!! We miss u!!!!

Z
http://www.zeljkoart.com
alan1958
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by alan1958 »

Chris , there are a few different versions of the Stony Road cd available , the one I mentioned has the most tracks (20) ..........

Disc 1:
1. Easy Rider
2. Stony Road
3. Dancing The Blues Away
4. Catfish Girl
5. Burning Feet
6. Slow Dance
7. Segway
8.Mississippi
9. So Lonely
10.Heading For The City
10. So Lonely

Disc: 2 :
1. Ride On
2. When The Good Lord Talked To Jesus
3. Qualified
4.Sun Is Rising
5. Someday My Peace Will Come
6. Got To Be Moving On
7. Ain't Going Down This Way
8. Changing Times
9.The Hustler
10.Give That Girl A Diamond
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Alan, once again,
Thank you for your reply.
The 2 CD album that I have purchased in Germany also has a total of 20 songs: 13 songs on disc one and seven (7) on disc two, plus "enhanced videos": "Making Of Stony Road" short cut and "Dancing Down The Stony Road" - live from the Montreux Jazz Festival. It was sold as "special edition" for a few Euros more, you know....
I think the titles are the same but put on the two discs in different order.
The CD one starts with "Changing Times".
There are also: "Easy Rider", "Stony Road", "Dancing The Blues Away", "Burning Feet", "Mississippi 2", "Slow Dance", "When The Good Lord Talked To Jesus", "Heading For The City", "So Lonely", "Someday My Peace Will Come", "The Hustler" and "Give That Girl A Diamond" on it.
CD#2
1. Sun Is Rising 6.47
2. Got To Be Moving On 3.48
3. Ain't Going Down This Way 3.14
4. Catfish Girl 3.14
5. Ride On 4.18
6. Segway 2.24
7. Qualified 4.54
I remember we've discussed this on this forum a few years ago....
The record companies are making us buy these "special editions' knowing they are or will become collectors' items. I don't mind this happening at all as long as these recordings contain Chris Rea's music....
Best regards to you,
Chris
alan1958
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by alan1958 »

Chris wrote: The record companies are making us buy these "special editions' knowing they are or will become collectors' items. I don't mind this happening at all as long as these recordings contain Chris Rea's music....
Best regards to you,
Chris
Yeah Chris , i've ended up with all the different versions of Stony Road ....I also like the DVD version of the bonus videos :) .......When these things arrive in the post , my wife or kids will say ,"have'nt you already got that one ?" , and I always say ,"NO ,it just looks similar" :lol:
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Alan,

I usually tell my wife that something I bought "is not exactly the same", even if a new CD is only published with a different sleeve! I like to fib a little, just like a child who likes to tell a fib. Some people in such a situation would say "that's a white lie" but I like to use the word 'fib' instead.
So that's why I'm going to buy the new CD in late September anyway.
Take care,
Chris
jwanzong
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by jwanzong »

Hi Alan,
I agree with you about the sound on the headphones. FANTASTIC! My favorite part of Stoney Road and Blue Guitars is listening to all the "stuff" in the back ground on these albums. On both albums you can hear quite clearly all the various instruments and different types of mics when you have the headphones on. I didn't relaize it until I had the song Are You Ready playing full blast on my headphones that at the end of the song Chris says 'Quite Good'. I had to laugh.

And if you ever need a great way to make it through 5 hours of dental surgery I HIGHLY recommend Chris on the Ipod really loud. Absolutely better than the valium they offered me.

Cheers,
Jenn :lol:
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
I think I have all versions of Stony Road.I.m just glad that not all Chris's albums are in so many versions.Could uou imagine 3 or 4 sets of Blue Guitars or R.F.H.B.N.I love this C.D any version or DVD and Ain't Going Down This Way is fanastic too.
jwanzong wrote:My favorite part of Stoney Road and Blue Guitars is listening to all the "stuff" in the back ground on these albums.

This is great too listening to what's going on behind the music.
jwanzong wrote:And if you ever need a great way to make it through 5 hours of dental surgery I HIGHLY recommend Chris on the Ipod really loud. Absolutely better than the valium they offered me.
5 HOURS dental surgery :shock: :shock: .You are a very brave woman.I think I would need BOTH Chris and the valium. :lol:
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
alan1958
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by alan1958 »

jwanzong wrote:Hi Alan,
I agree with you about the sound on the headphones. FANTASTIC! My favorite part of Stoney Road and Blue Guitars is listening to all the "stuff" in the back ground on these albums. On both albums you can hear quite clearly all the various instruments and different types of mics when you have the headphones on. I didn't relaize it until I had the song Are You Ready playing full blast on my headphones that at the end of the song Chris says 'Quite Good'. I had to laugh.

I'm sure you can hear his chair squeeking at the end of Ain't Going Down This Way ...all adds to the atmosphere :)

And if you ever need a great way to make it through 5 hours of dental surgery I HIGHLY recommend Chris on the Ipod really loud. Absolutely better than the valium they offered me.

5 hours of dental surgery ?...........aaaaggggghhhhhh! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cheers,
Jenn :lol:
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Stoney Road is one of my favorite CD's period.I look at it as his coming out as a bonified Blues artist.I'll never forget the grin on my face on the first playing of this album.As i've said on a previous thread the 20 song version is my favorite.The 20 song version is under Jazzee Blue label and the 2 others are from EDEL.
Is it possible this was when he had enough with the record companies and started Jazzee Blue ? Especially after watching the DVD and seeing the frustration with the record excecs. ?
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
alan1958
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by alan1958 »

Jim M wrote:Stoney Road is one of my favorite CD's period.I look at it as his coming out as a bonified Blues artist.I'll never forget the grin on my face on the first playing of this album.As i've said on a previous thread the 20 song version is my favorite.The 20 song version is under Jazzee Blue label and the 2 others are from EDEL.
Is it possible this was when he had enough with the record companies and started Jazzee Blue ? Especially after watching the DVD and seeing the frustration with the record excecs. ?
Jim
Totally agree Jim , as everytime you play the 20 song version, something else pops out ....a few days ago I could not stop listening to Qualified :)