The man The voice The guitar

Vinyl crackle & pop

All topics concerning Chris' discography
johnldyas

Vinyl crackle & pop

Post by johnldyas »

I have spent many years trying to listen to the music and not the equipment. Settled down today to listen to Blue guitars and I was so diappointed..... Flase crackle & pop everywhere!!!! Does anyone know of good software to remove this so I can listen to the music? :cry:
jwanzong
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Re: Vinyl crackle & pop

Post by jwanzong »

johnldyas wrote:I have spent many years trying to listen to the music and not the equipment. Settled down today to listen to Blue guitars and I was so diappointed..... Flase crackle & pop everywhere!!!! Does anyone know of good software to remove this so I can listen to the music? :cry:
Interesting idea but isn't that sort of like wanting to try an authentic italian restaurant but then asking for something without pasta, olive oil, garlic or wine in it? The crackle and pop was painstakingly reproduced to reflect the original sound of the times. Equipment was searched for to reproduce this sound. Just my thoughts.....
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

jwanzong wrote:
johnldyas wrote:I have spent many years trying to listen to the music and not the equipment. Settled down today to listen to Blue guitars and I was so diappointed..... Flase crackle & pop everywhere!!!! Does anyone know of good software to remove this so I can listen to the music? :cry:
Interesting idea but isn't that sort of like wanting to try an authentic italian restaurant but then asking for something without pasta, olive oil, garlic or wine in it? The crackle and pop was painstakingly reproduced to reflect the original sound of the times. Equipment was searched for to reproduce this sound. Just my thoughts.....
You have a point jwanzong...
The static, cracks, hiss and scratch noise are intentional, to give these blues recordings an extra sense of authenticity. After all, years ago, it used to be a major problem with all vinyl, tape and other type of sound carriers. These compositions were registered in studio with noise: mechanical, human, electrical and electronic. Sensitive microphones pick up all sorts of background sound, such as squirting of the piano stool, cigarette puffing, coughing, sneezing and such. So, in order to take this or that out, one would have to put these recordings through filters now. But then, the whole concept would be ruined.

Take care,
Chris
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

Hey, aren't you too much consistent in all this authenticity... vinyl crackle is the thing we like in vinyl record, but we are NOT talking about vinyl record right now, so they ARE fake - man talked only about this kind of noises, not the rest of them like coughing. I can understand they may be made too audible for some ears, I think I could also don't like them if they was forced so much to be heard. Don't get more original than originals itself ;)
I see nothing wrong with disabling some feature that really annoys one, maybe sth like the strong MP3 compression lowering quality is the bad thing but it's obvious :D

Johnldyas - look for some audio software at particular webpages, there is some good stuff available as freeware or GPL, however consider buying commercial audio editor cause they have plenty of ways to alter your record.

If you would have problems finding stuff, I'll help you further, have done some tricks here and there.... :D
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Zgred wrote:Hey, aren't you too much consistent in all this authenticity... vinyl crackle is the thing we like in vinyl record, but we are NOT talking about vinyl record right now, so they ARE fake - man talked only about this kind of noises, not the rest of them like coughing. I can understand they may be made too audible for some ears, I think I could also don't like them if they was forced so much to be heard. Don't get more original than originals itself ;)
I see nothing wrong with disabling some feature that really annoys one, maybe sth like the strong MP3 compression lowering quality is the bad thing but it's obvious :D

Johnldyas - look for some audio software at particular webpages, there is some good stuff available as freeware or GPL, however consider buying commercial audio editor cause they have plenty of ways to alter your record.
If you would have problems finding stuff, I'll help you further, have done some tricks here and there.... :D
----------
----------

I'm not knowledgeable enough (technically) to suggest any solution as to how to take the vinyl crack out from Chris Rea's "Blue Guitars" album. If there is a way to do it, more power to all those interested.
I like these recordings the way they are made.
Take care,
Chris
Jim Carnie

Post by Jim Carnie »

I agree with your sentiments, the noises ruin my listening enjoyment.
Roadie
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Roadie »

Relax guys, cant be that bad. It lasts only for a lil wee while in the beginning and the end of some songs.

I dont personally like it either but it doesn't ruin the music imo.
No-one knows that black dog better than I...