CR Official Live Recordings

All topics concerning Chris' discography
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

CR Official Live Recordings

Post by andrew fischer »

Hello everyone,

I was counting and wondering how many CR songs' live performances have been released. I got mixed up a bit, hesitating whether some of the tunes are official or not.

Most of such tunes were released on multiple CD singles of 1992/93 after GGBS release, and most of the last were recorded during the Naked Truth Tour of 1991 and Banana Tour of 1993. Only some recording are made earlier and appeared on double 7'' vinyl singles.

Here's my list:

Steel River
It's All Gone (both from Hello Friend re-record double 7'' vynil)
One Golden Rule
Midnight Blue (both from On the Beach '86 double 7'' vynil)
Loving You Again (from Working on It 7'' vynil - very bad sound quality)
Let's Dance (from Texas '89 CDS)
Daytona
The Road to Hell (Birmingham 1991)
Working on It
On the Beach (Max Middleton piano solo) (all from Nothing to Fear double CDS)
Just Passing Through
Footprints in the Snow
You Must Be Evil (all from GGBS double CDS)
Gone Fishing
On the Beach (Munich 1993)
Auberge improvised intro (all from Too Much Pride CDS)

It is all enogh to create a whole double live album, which had been supposed to appear in 1993, but anyhow it failed to do it :(

I have some more live songs in perfect sound, which could have appeared on official B-sides, but I'm not sure they really could.
E.g., Dancing Shoes, Too Much Pride, I Can Hear Your Heartbeat, and so on.
Can anyone add more to the list above?

I know for sure Josephine was never released as live song until 2006 Farewell Tour.
The same time I know that there was one more official live release of Road to Hell in 10 minutes length, soon after the LP release, but I have no idea exactly where (That's What They Always Say CDS???)

By the way, any of CR's singles have a promo video, except All Summer Long'85 and That's What They Always Say (and some of the local single releases, e.g. Dutch releases of Seabird or Wired to the Moon). Any ideas about existence of these videos?..

May your shadow never grow less,
&ru
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
tobischmitz
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Re: CR Official Live Recordings

Post by tobischmitz »

Hi,

I found some other live recordings:

1984 - Ace of hearts (12" single) - Live excerpts of I CAN HEAR YOUR HEAT BEAT
1988 - I can hear your heart beat '88 (CDS) - LOVING YOU AGAIN
1988 - On the beach '88 (CDS) - IT'S ALL GONE (Live in Montreux)
1993 - Too much pride (CDS - CD2) - NOTHING TO FEAR / SOFT TOP, HARD SHOULDER

One thing came into my mind - why aren't Chris' Montreux concerts released? Many other artists did that in the past...as far as I know he visited Montreux at least two times (1986 and 2002). Might be a nice goodie for his fans :)

Greetings and tschoe
Tobias
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

An interesting thread.
I have quite a few 'singles' from the 80s and 90s with 'live' CR's songs so I won't repeat what my predecessors already have said. I'd just like to mention that Chris Rea's performance from Monteaux 1986 Jazz Festival was published as the "Dancing Shoes" CD (semi-bootleg, Flashback, Luxemburg ((Flash 02.02.0173)).)
Two (2) great songs 'live' from the same festival, "It's All Gone" and "Steel River" (the same versions as on "Dancing Shoes"), have been published back in 1987, in Japan, on the "Snow" EP (Magnet/Victor Musical Industries VDP 28013-2.)
It's pity nobody could put together a nice 'live' album with all these great songs from - more o less - the same period.
Best regards,
Chris
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Hi everybody,

the TEXAS-Single releases are real gems:

7" - Let's Dance
12" - The Road To Hell (is it that song you mean, Andrew?)
5" - Working On It

BTW: How do you know that there was a live album to be released in 1993?
Back in 1993 I called the "Bayerischer Rundfunk" (the bavarian broadcasting company that recorded the five tracks released on the Too Much Pride CD-Singles) and they said these were the only songs they had recorded :(

But I'm sure there must be some great stuff in the vaults of the record company...
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hello Toby and others!

about the unreleased live album: I can try to find the very interview where I read it, but you can trust my memory - I did not invent such news myself :) In that speech Chris mentioned that most studio releases are far from the live versions in their inentirety and style, as well as the live album was to be releases then, but Chris, as a perfectionist and self-criticist, was not satisfied with the quality of his playing live, that's why the release of the album was delayed and then cancelled. That's what he said; the true reasons are never to be known.

Concerning the record company, which recorded but 5 tracks, it is quite normal when there are plenty of live recorings throughout the whole tour, and then the best of them are compiled into one album - recall the Farewell Tour.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

By the way, what about Montreux gigs, Gary Moore, for example, played at least 5 times there, and the audio version had not appeared until last year, when the limited 5CD pack called The Complete Montreux Sessions was released. Only the video version of 1990 Montreux gig had seen its release before.

We can but hope that the same might happen with Chris and his Jazz Fest performances...
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Hi all,

I'd love to listen to an official live album from Chris' most prolific period (1987-1992 imho) and maybe one day they'll open the vaults...

Especially the "Naked Truth Tour" must have been gorgeous *sigh*. A pity that especially from this tour no listenable bootleg seem to exist...

Cheers,

Tobi
tobischmitz
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by tobischmitz »

I remember the Naked Truth Tour 1991, because it was my first Chris Rea concert. And I still think, that this tour was one of his best. The band was awesome and had an extra with the brass section.

As Tobi said before me there is no "good" bootleg available from this tour...it's a shame :(

Ok, maybe someday...all the best
Tobias
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Daytona, Evil, Footprints, Just Passing Through, Working on It and On the Beach, which appeared live on singles, were recorded during exactly the Naked Truth tour. There must have been therefore much more recordings made then...
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Hi all,

maybe if we all pelt eastwest with mails and letters they will release the stuff? :D Well, don't think so, honestly :( Who knows how many songs still wait for their release - maybe even video files? e.g. there must be a japanese broadcast of Chris' '87 concert from Tokyo. Also a very good tour - with the great Jerry Donahue on guitar! I've only seen the b/w videos on youtube but maybe there's a japanese dvd???

REAgards,

Tobi
mohawk
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by mohawk »

Regarding Chris` official live recordings being used to create a live album - the idea has been put into practise on youtube just to get the fans reaction to a project like this . Three albums worth - mostly compliled from official releases - are getting the thumbs up from everyone who hears them . I can`t post a link - but just look for CHRIS REA ON THE ROAD . The hope is that something similar might be offically released . This is a very interesting debate so I hope it continues . There is obviously a demand for such material and a collection like this would be a welcome addition to Chris` catalogue . Would love to hear what others think !
Mohawk
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

I have recently got a very, very good quality bootleg of 2 CR performances in Brighton in Dec'91.

Everyone who is interested can contact me through e-mail.
veherny
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by veherny »

Andrew Yes I want it please!!!But What is your mail???My mail is veherny@gmail.com Thank you very much gREAT friend!!
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Sounds nice Andrew!
I send you a mail.

Greetings,
Ann
You're never to old to dance!
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi Ann and Veherny,

seems like the private mail service on this site is no longer working as I did not get any mails from you.

Veherny, I have sent you a mail.

Other can leave their mails here or contact me on andrew-fischer@yandex.ru

Best regards
Andrey