The man The voice The guitar

Kevin Powell

All topics concerning Chris' discography
Gabriëlle
Support
Support

Re: Kevin Powell

Post by Gabriëlle »

Nice to read all of this "back-stage" info, thanks Kevin!
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi Kevin... :D

Great stuff!! keep it coming...

How many songs/albums did you do with Midge Ure?

Thanks P.B. ... 8)

Lily
greyman45
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by greyman45 »

Hi lily,
As is usually the case with tours, the album was already recorded and I was just hired to promote it, however, I did get to record a single with Midge called, Call of the wild, I also did a film soundtrack and recorded a slap bass track for Ultravox!! Midge's proper band!!

Later. k.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi All... :D

Have you noticed the bass on Touché D'Amour is almost identical to the one on Teach Me To Dance?

I know Chris uses bits from one song to another...but Touché was the original one.

Thanks for all the info and the time you're spending here Kevin... :D :D :D

I know you've got lots more to share!!

Lily
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

:D
Last edited by lilybee on 20 Apr 2009, 03:55, edited 1 time in total.
alan1958
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by alan1958 »

Hi Kevin , I was wondering if you would mind answering a few non -Chris Rea questions ...

1) Who are/were you fave bass players ?

2)What basses do you play now ?

3) Who are you playing with now / or in the future ?

All the best
Thanks again
Alan

greyman45
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by greyman45 »

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the questions, so here are the replies:

My fave bass players are: James Jamerson,John Paul Jones,Jaco Pastorious and Marcus Miller. I like to think my playing reflects their styles, like the fretless work with Chris, is very Jaco! and the bass solo on the 84 recordings is Marcus influenced.

I still have the Steinberger fretless from the days of working with Chris, but have been through several fretted basses, but have had a 5string Peavey since 1989.

The most recent project I have done is the Steve Coogan tour at the end of last year, but being a session player, I just take whatever is offered.

Hope that answers your querys.

All the best,

Kevin.
Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Peter S... »

Hi Kevin,

Once again thank you for taking the time to answer the questions asked by members of this forum.

Regards,

Peter S...
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi All,

Here's Kevin's Youtube Channel.... :D

http://www.youtube.com/user/greyman45

Lily
alan1958
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by alan1958 »

[

Kevin , thanks so much for your reply ....as a "failed " bass player myself , I still find myself listening to songs , then realising all I did was follow the bass line .....
All the guys in your list are people I have followed for years , but I have never been lucky to see them live ;

The late James Jamerson ; The first time I read his name was in the early 70's in an interview with Jimmy Lea from Slade , who said "he is a genius ....and he only uses one finger to play the bass " I recently bought the dvd "Standing in the Shadows of Motown " , where some of his story is told ....a whole movie about him would be better :D

John Paul Jones ; .....seen Page & Plant live a few times , but not Zep ....maybe one day :(

Marcus Miller; ...i've seen Miles Davis live , but M.M was not in the band :( ( I will listen to the CR recordings from 84 with much more insight now :) , as I was not really aware of Marcus Miller back then .

Jaco Pastorious ; ...i've seen loads of guys that were in Weather Report (Zawinul, Wayne Shorter etc) , but he's the one I would loved to have seen....coincidence ; just before I read your reply , I had been listening to Ian Hunter's "All American Alien Boy " , with a Pastorious bass solo that still makes me smile , all these years on :)

Again , Kevin , thanks so much for taking the time to reply , as I could talk "Bass " stuff forever :lol:
All the best
Alan
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi all...

Just re-read this branch... a thousand thanks to Kevin for taking his time for posting such amazing things here! It is strange nobody asked Kevin about 2 songs from summer'84 festival setlists - Pigs Might Fly and I Don't Wanna Go which do not appear on any studio release. Were they ever recorded at the studio or not? When did Chris write these songs?

I think Kevin might remember the answer...

best regards
Andrey
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea