The man The voice The guitar

The Josephines

All topics concerning Chris' discography
imagemkr
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

The Josephines

Post by imagemkr »

I know we've discussed aspects of this on other posts, but looking at YouTube today, there is a pictureless video labelled "Josephine (Version #1). It is approx. 4:26 long. On my Shamrock diaries CD the song is different and 3:54. Looking at chrisrea.biz's discography, Shambrock Diaries was the first place this song appeared, but they say the CD version is 4:26 not 3:54. They say 3:54 was a 7" vinyl.

Anyway were these versions different? Can someone take a listen to the YouTube Version 1 and tell me what that is, please. :? :?

Thanks, Thom
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: The Josephines

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi Thom!

Once more, specially for you :)

The verison (3.55) on your Shamrock CD is so called short french remix, released on 7'' vinyl in 1987, the same year Shamrock CD first appear. Before only vinyl LP Shamrock had been released, where (4.26) version appears. It's the very first version. It also appears on Germany only Herzklopfen compilation CD/LP.
By the way, there's a (3.53) vesion, which appear in its entirety only in video clip. Audio release of that version is shorter (3.36) and appears on several 1985 vinyl singles and on The Best of 2001.

Any other questions :D

Best regards,
&ru
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Andrew,
Yes I have one :lol: How do you know so much about this one song and do you own EVERY version.Sorry that makes 2 :lol: :lol:
Tina :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
imagemkr
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by imagemkr »

Hi Andrew -

That YouTube Version 1 is not the same as Herzklopfen. I have that and it is different. Herklopfen version is Version #4 on YouTube although the YouTube one is shorter 3:50 as compared to 4:28.

Here are the distinctly different versions I have:

Version 1 (YouTube) 4:17
Shamrock Diaries 3:54
NLTOW 4:32
The Very Best of 3:36
Herzklopfen 4:28
Ing 5:37
Road to Hell & Back 5:08
God's Great Banana Skin Tour Live (Bootleg) 6:59
Live (YouTube) 4:13

Cheers, Thom
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Thom,

This (3.50) is just reduced version of mentioned (4.26). It might be released on any local single releases in 1985, but I'm not sure, coz' I do not own every vinyl singles and even do not have exact info which version was put on different Spanish, Dutch, UK only etc. single releases.
I suppose it's just cut by anyone who lacked place on CD :) The original one is sure 4.26. It appears on Herzklopfen and Shamrock LP.

Tina

I know so much 'coz it's wonderful, amazing and fascinating experience for a addict audiphile collector.
Josephine is one of 3 songs which are supposed to be the ones I love the most.
Moreover, despite my knowledge who is this song about and in what case it was written, I always associate this tune with the soulful image of the person I love the most.
Of course, many special thanks to my friends here and there who let me get this knowledge.
Thanks Internet and especially to e-bay sites :)
The main reason is to be really fond of and letting yourself be involved.

I do not own 2 versions, which I know: so called "russian Josephine", which appeared after Chris, visiting Moscow in 1998 heard the hip-hop/dance song in russian with name translated as "Well, summer's flown by", which uses josy'88 sample and he loved it so much (on his wave of RTHP2 period) that he did re-remixed it and Chris and russian hip-hoppers voices are joined together in one tune! It was a couple of times heard on radio, but no one recorded it 'coz it was certainly a shock realizing it was not a joke! :)

The second, I still do not own fantastic remix made by Superfunk for Lucky Star Club, which appeared in 2005 on 1sided vinyl single only. I only downloaded (1.30) demo from voices-records.de and came across this single no more in any shops.

Most other versions I own as original sonical material. Just some mixes in mp3 only.
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Fascinating stuff Andrew :D

I'm thinking of more questions....

I enjoy reading you! 8)

Lily
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Andrew I 2nd that.I think more questions will be coming your way.
Tina :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
poolie
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by poolie »

Thom

The Youtube version of Josephine version 1 is the track taken from the USA edition of New Light Through Old Windows which is different to the one on the UK / European edition of the album.
I too have some other version of Josephine in the club mix style which have titles like the Fingers Ramirez Mix, Club Dub Mix and Alternate Mix are these the ones that you refer to as well?

Poolie
imagemkr
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by imagemkr »

Andrew and all -

I have just listened to all 9 versions that I listed above. No two of these are even close to being alike, regardless of length.
All I was trying to a find out was what that Version #1 on YouTube is from because it is definitely not from Shamrock Diaries, Herzklopfen, or any of the other recordings I listed. But it is a studio version from somewhere.

Please have a listen and see what you think. Here's the link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVp6e3BwGEM

Thanks, Thom
poolie
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by poolie »

Thom

I've just listened to my USA version of NLTOW and the Josephine track is 4.17 and is the one you link to Youtube.

Poolie
imagemkr
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by imagemkr »

Hi Poolie -

That's really odd because I'm in the USA and my NLTOW version is YouTube #5 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrigtWizX7c

Since NLTOW came out after Shamdrock Diaries, I would think the YouTube Version #1 predates SD. :?

Thom
poolie
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by poolie »

Hi Thom

The white cover is the UK / European edition of NLTOW which has Youtube version 5 on it. The blue cover of NLTOW is the USA edition which has version 1 of the Youtube version on it. Hope this helps and clarifies.

Poolie
imagemkr
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by imagemkr »

Hi Poolie -

Well the one I have I got here in the states. It is a white background, blue letters, green window distributed by Atlantic Records New York, has Version #5 on it!! ?? :? Never seen a 'blue' cover?? :?
This is like the one I have:
http://cgi.ebay.com/REA-CHRIS-Best-Of-N ... dZViewItem

Thom
poolie
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by poolie »

poolie
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by poolie »

Hi Thom

Sorry about the previous post as I was trying to post a copy of the USA edition cover which I seem to have done but don't know how!! Anyway version 1 on youtube is on this album and the white, blue and green one is the UK / European edition. The USA edition was on Geffen records and isued in 1988/89.

Poolie