The man The voice The guitar

Belfast 16th March 2012 - epic

alan the squire
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Belfast 16th March 2012 - epic

Post by alan the squire »

Hi folks, long time lurker, but never posted, but felt compelled to share a few thoughts about Chris's gig last week in Belfast.

Just to put in context, I have followed Chris for years, as a youngster I spent far too long trying to emulate his guitar chops, however since the Gods Great Banana skin era, Chris had not played in Belfast until his welcome rediscovery of the blues with the Stony Road album, which was the first time I finally had the chance to see him in the flesh, and he did not dissapoint. Subsequently I also had the priviledge of seeing him on the Blue Jukebox and Farewell tours, and these were also excellent, although as others have pointed out, setlists were not a million miles from each other... and whilst I still very much enjoyed subsequent releases, I didn't quite get around to attending the Hofner Bluenotes and Greatest Hits tours...

Any how, I enjoyed Santo Spirito. Drum machines and saxophone synth solos aside, musically I sensed something of a musical renewal going on, and hence decided it was time to renew one's aquaintance with Mr Rea.

This time he was playing in the recently refurbished Ulster Hall; a fabulous venue, a little smaller than the Waterfront Hall where he previously played, but a much better atmosphere. Went to book a seated ticked, but they had all sold out very quickly. Only standing tickets were available, indeed the number of seated tickets available was modest, in the gallery. What was going on here? What did Chris have in mind? I don't think the general musical vibe of previous shows, whilst of undeniable quality, would have suited a standing concert experience. Was Chris planning on rocking out a bit?

I felt the refreshed line up held promise. I had seen Kirt Rust with Chris before, and felt he held down a very tight rhythm. Likewise Anto Drennan is a skilled player with a very wide experience; I had seen him before, with the Corrs when he played all the difficult bits Jim couldn't quite manage.

Like others, was sad to hear Martin Ditcham and Robert Ahwai were not involved; Robert is a most skillful player - indeed last time I had seen Chris, I actually felt Robert was carrying Chris slightly; likewise Martin has contributed great work over the year; however it would be wonderful if the sophisicated textures he had contributed around the Banana Skin/Expresso eras had superceded the drum machines that have popped up from time to time since then.

And to hear of the return of Max Middleton was most pleasant; some twinkly Rhodes solos would hopefully be in order.

Anyway on the night, events did not dissapoint. Others have pointed out similar to previous set lists; perhaps. But sonically to me it was obvious there had been a complete overhaul. Almost all the songs were played harder, and faster, than before. Some were a little sleeker and tighter than before. I'll not replicate the set lists, but the older songs did not dissapoint; I felt they were played the way that they should be heard now. Whilst Neil Drinkwater i suspect was doing most of the heavy lifting keyboard wise, Mr Middletons twinkly Rhodes solos were just fine. And he wore his much loved hat. Kirt's drumming was hard and precise, yet also sensitive and responsive to the needs of each tune. Mr Drennan provided sterling support for Mr Rea, a muscular backing, but allowed more than enough room for Chris to shine. And Chris kindly returned the favour, allowing Anto to shine and show off some choice soloage. Sylvan Marc was good value as always, and good to see him get a bit more vocal time, some good harmonies, but he could have been a little higher in the mix. Judging by the cheeky grins and giggles between the supporting players, i felt the interplay betrayed the fact that they all seemed to be having a jolly good time.

Chris himself was a revelation. I have never seen him play so good. Granted, all the previous outings I have been seen have been post-blues, and I love the blues, but it was good to see him ROCK, and he obviously loved it.

He danced.

He pulled rock guitar poses.

He pulled gurny guitar faces that even the late great Gary Moore would be proud of.

On a more serious note, i felt his quality of tone, and his choice of notes was vastly improved on previous outings. The soloing was more skillful and precise, and i noted much more non-slide guitar work, and this worked very well. Occasionally on some of the faster numbers he struggled a little to keep up vocally but given his age and his illness, and the fact he was rocking so hard, we can excuse him that.

The older songs, on the beach, josephine, sainsburys, road to hell, et al, were just fine. I felt the balance between old and new was just fine. I felt the songs lifted from the post-blues era had also grown and matured.

Stage design and visuals worked particularly well. The Florence visuals worked well, but in a much less dark context than on the original dvd. There was no bullfighting.

One missed opportunity I feel was the outtro, Somewhere Between the Stars, which felt was a highlight of the Santo Spirito set. I can't understand why they haven't taken a stab at it on the tour. With the spendid chord progression and build towards the end, add some real drums and Mr Rea could have had his very own Comfortable Numb. Mr Rea there's still time to rectify this!

All in all, a stunning night. Mr Rea restated his case to be considered along the other great guitar heroes of our time. The fact that he has been so ill only makes this current vein of form more remarkable.

What do we do now?

We need a solid, studio album that reflects where Mr Rea is currently sitting, which is somewhere between awesome and Bluesy-Rock god. We don't need a box set, we need 40 minutes, 12 focused tunes. We need good drums, Kirt Rust, Martin Ditcham, i don't care - be like mid-period Pink Floyd and get both. We need Max. And you will have your best album in 20 years. Judging on Friday night, you can do it.

Chris, I'm sorry i doubted you. You still rock. That was the concert I never had the chance to hear as a young aspiring guitarist. I'm glad i was standing. So was everyone else. The atmosphere was electric, and there was much dancing, rocking out and air guitar.

(although i did note at least one person had smuggled in a camping stool)
Strickley
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Re: Belfast 16th March 2012 - epic

Post by Strickley »

Many thanks for this upbeat positive review - without any nit-picking on the set list etc!

We're off to Harrogate tomorrow and looking forward to it immensely. I realised this morning that it's 20 years since we first saw Chris - each concert memorable in it's own way. Long may he continue.
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Oh yes, we do expect such an album, the problem is Chris thinks that his fans don't need any ordinary studio albums anymore. The problem is that that's exactly what I long for :D
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

Strickley wrote:Many thanks for this upbeat positive review - without any nit-picking on the set list etc!

We're off to Harrogate tomorrow and looking forward to it immensely. I realised this morning that it's 20 years since we first saw Chris - each concert memorable in it's own way. Long may he continue.
I'm going to Harrogate, but it's on Saturday, not tomorrow !!

Great review, thanks for the effort, really make me look forward to the show now, as if I wasn't already ! :D
could this be true, could this be me..