REAlly addicted

St.Petersburg gig - short summary

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi all,

here are some notes regarding yesterday's gig

highlights:
- perfect and crystal clear sound
- all Max Middletone solos, which brought me back to the golden 90's
- some good changes in arrangements, e.g. Till' the Morning Sun...
- no any problems with CR's voice as I could expect
- great drummer's work
- beautiful but plain stage design

disappoitments:
- same old setlist, only 2 changes, even the sequence and some "tricks" as those in Julia, Let's Dance and Stainsby Girls were all the same as 2 and even 4 years ago.
- too little Max Middleton
- assuming Max back to the band when On the Beach started I hoped it would be like 90's live version, but it was again 2006 version, the same with Josephine
- some songs seemed performed even worse than 2 years ago - 61 & 49, Road to Hell, Josephine (except solos)
- still cannot make out why it was impossible to play the outro - Somewhere between the Stars - live instead of playback. It could be the perfect ending, as It's All Gone anyway left much more wishing for...

Strangely, in general I found this gig worth attending, even thou initially I did not want to attend expecting the worse. But it is still unclear for me, as for many others, why no changes?

Thanks to all for reeding this and best regards
Andrey
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Re: St.Petersburg gig - short summary

Post by elangelo »

Thanks Andrew! I had a friend that attended the gig and she said there was an opening act (a Russian blues musician), I wonder if there will be one here in Moscow. It's interesting because it's the first time we get more than the rest of Europe, you'd start to think it's not so bad you had to pay such amount of money after all :lol:
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi Elangelo!

Moscow and Rostov will see the same opening act. it was only 3 songs and 20 minutes long and it was quite awful... Sergey Voronoff of Crossroadz seemed to me a comic with a drug overdose... He was really miserable, though self-ironysing... It is that real bad that you pay such a heap of money and have such an opening act! Europe can thank god they do not have anything like this... Please believe me - you will see it tonight
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Oh... we'll see then :lol:
The worst is gone....
Bob Vermaak
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Bob Vermaak »

The Russians gets more! We will think about you! It's sounds like an act where you need a awful lot of beer to enjoy it! Succes!
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

I must say there were even some applause after the end of this opening act!
I think it was either the Russian event management company who hired this musician to show "what we can do" (take it the way you like), or Chris just asked for a accoustic opening so the guitar tech could tune the instruments (I saw it behind the scene during the act, the seame was 2 years ago when Paul Casey opened the gigs throughout Europe). But such a trrible choice... The sound of his acc.guitar was awful, quite unclear and really dirty, vocals cannot be called vocals at all, and even the English pronunciation seemed that of a Soviet engineer... I wish there had been no any opening act at all.
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Well, they're called the best blues group in Russia :?
We'll see!
The worst is gone....
Slava
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Slava »

Hi all, the show in St. Petersburg was a long awaited gig with about 5000 people in Oktybrsky Hall. We were in the first row, right in the middle. So it was my fifth visit to concerts of Chris Rea. Next came in Moscow two days later. Voronoff was a good opening, he has a bluesy mood, so it was intresting to hear his music and i liked it.
The band came with the Master and they played The Last Open Road. So we entirely enjoyed the show and Chris Rea playing and singing right in front of us till the very end with Somewhere Between The Stars. Chris seems to be in good shape and he danced a lot while playing the guitars. I only hope that next time we will get more from Santo Spirito album - this album is my favorite since october 2011. The highlight for me was the intro to Till The Morning Sunshine.. from Santo Spirito -amazing music. I must say that the price for this concert (200 Euro each ticket) is no matter to me, because i've got much more from Chris live performance.
Hope that you will get the same feelings in your citys.
With best wishes