The man The voice The guitar

Brand new studio album & box set June 13th 2011

ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: Brand new studio album & box set June 13th 2011

Post by ann268 »

Yeeaahh, finally some news, read it this morning om FB! :D Was ready to copy and paste, but it wasn't necessary anymore. :lol:
Hope it will bw avialable in Europe also in june, anyone any idea?
Ann.
You're never to old to dance!
chrisreafan

Post by chrisreafan »

Goodmorning all,
we are all a bit dissapointed what we heard not read. I have searched yesterday on the IMDB site about what the movies are about exactly (meaning the one in Florence). Nothing till now.

Yesterday contacted the BBC and they will play more after the release. Just wait if this is the truth.
I have to agree with the Angelo. My opinion i do not like the record i heard and i probably like most records Chris ever made.

Bye
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Hilarious that mistake on the press release....first new material in 10 years and then there´s these old songs done newly or whatever :) and why they don´t mention The Return of the Fabulous Hofner Bluenotes as well when they mention Blue Guitars???
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

... and Stony Road, Blue Street, Hofner Blue Notes, Blue Jukebox.

I assume they count from King of the Beach, which was the last album with Warner. I think it's very offensive for Chris because they're ignoring his best works. Maybe he didn't read through the press-release as he never cares about this stuff. But I guess he should have read it this time because it just sounds rude this way.
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

elangelo wrote:... and Stony Road, Blue Street, Hofner Blue Notes, Blue Jukebox.

I assume they count from King of the Beach, which was the last album with Warner. I think it's very offensive for Chris because they're ignoring his best works. Maybe he didn't read through the press-release as he never cares about this stuff. But I guess he should have read it this time because it just sounds rude this way.
Yes, feel just the same way, the best works ignored.....
and it´s sure strange that there ain´t even one person of staff or managment who would read the press release and make it right before releasing....not even the UK radio host tries to change it right even though he´s played the new stuff in his shows in the past as well....strange....
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
chrisreafan

Post by chrisreafan »

Maybe its the deal with Rhino/Warner and other companies involved not to talk a lot about Blue Guitars and THBN because its 'them all over again in a more commercial jacket'?

I think the moviemusic will be excellent, don't know why. The Last Open Road can be a winner but. . . it must be better then Dancing the blues away.

That's what I meant. If a journalist does not know what he is talking about or does this on purpose. . .Man I can get mad every day reading the papers about (yes, its possible) more serios stuff.
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

I finally remembered where that main melody/riff is from - Electric Guitar from CD4 of Blue Guitars. Could barely sleep, it was spinning in my head but I couldn't tell where it's from. Sorry if I was the last to realize this :)
The worst is gone....
chrisrea101b
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by chrisrea101b »

Great news a new project is due!!

Typical chris, its as ambitious as the last few releases. My initial reaction is one of excitment mixed with intrigue and abit of disappointment. Excited = new material, promise of tour and book! Intrigue = what is santo spirito?? bullfighting?? gypsie music?? journey in florence?? [****] disappointent = the song titles from the new studio album, the're lifted straight from a mix of blue guitars and RFHBN books. The song 'dancing my blues away' seems to a lyrical mix of quite a few recent rea songs (twister inside/ i cant wait for love, the intro "my mama"...references to "born in the north wind" for example) the riff is actually more like a delmonts tune "Big storm coming". The song is also v.similar in style, structure etc to lots of his recent output, same guitar solos etc., zz top like? definite chris rea style of blues/rock. I love his rapid hammer on/ off technique, but I think it is somewhat overused? (most the blue guitar songs ended in this sort of solo)

Anyway, my point is I hope the new album isnt simply a re-introduction of old songs, slightly altered/ revamped for this a label release - to hopefully a wider audience. We'll wait and see...

[****]

I suppose this release puts to bed any chance of a memphis flie/ new delmont project as chris presses ahead releasing material under his own name...?

So a project which raises a lot of possibilties and questions, but that is what a chris rea fan should probably have come to expect over the last few years, lots of promises of one thing, and the delivery of something completely out of the blue! (again bull-fighting?!?!) I just hope he hasnt gone a bit stagnant with the song writing :?

bring on the 13th june...
Last edited by Bart on 26 Apr 2011, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: PLease watch your language!
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

A dvd film/documenary on Bull Fighting doesn't appeal much to me. Not a 'sport' if that's what you can call it I like.
could this be true, could this be me..
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

'Santo Spirito' is actually a church and museum in Florence, Italy. Maybe this is nearer to the roots of the new project ?

http://www.museumsinflorence.com/musei/ ... irito.html
could this be true, could this be me..
NSM69
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by NSM69 »

Well it's great news that there is something on the horizon, but I am a bit shocked that this song is ( as a few on here have said ) a bit of a mish-mash of about 4 older tunes ! And most of those are what he's released in the last 10 years. I do hope the Cd has some totaly new songs with a bit of a "new" approach, dont get me wrong I love all he's done scince Stony Road but some of the riffs & solo's are getting a bit predictable...especially this new song ( which isn't surprising ! )
I too wasn't keen on the drum sound, but after listening to it on better speakers it didn't seem as bad.
Once again I am greatful for any release but for the first time ever I'm a little worried on how I'll feel if it is mostly remakes etc. of old songs.
Prove me wrong Chris, prove me wrong !! :D
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi all,
I was able to listen to the new song on this BBC program, over Internet here in Warsaw. I must echo some reactions here; it sounds like a mix of several all-too-familiar tunes...
But I think that Chris does what he always had done, namely: he keeps on repeating certain lyrics, phrases with all familiar to us references to 'tears', 'rain', 'moms', 'being born to a northern wind' etc., and is adding bluesy music to it. I hope I won't need to put ketchup on every song in the new album in order to make them edible. (In Italy, you know, if you want to make a restaurant owner (or a chef) really angry, just dare to ask for ketchup when a dish is served to you...)
Chris is getting older (we all are getting older, every day, unfortunately!) and perhaps he just might be - artistically - fizzling out.
I don't mind that at all. As long as the 'new songs' are labeled like that - 'new' - they can be for me either rewritten, revamped, remodeled or remade.
Drums? Apparently Chris likes them. He used them in the past. Although they can be annoying if this new song is played on a computer; granted. I would prefer hearing something of a Gypsy romance, nostalgic ballads, perfect for the summer holidays.
As far as the bull fighting, I think Chris - who in the past had frequently visited Spain - is against ritual killing in the arenas there. So, he followed here into foot steps of the French performer Renaud (album & song: "Rouge Sang").
Spirito Santo is in Florence (Ace Of Hears already wrote about it here) and Chris' daughter, Josephine, studied there for a few years. And Chris was always referring in his songs to places he visited or he knows from his travels.
I'll be waiting impatiently for this album.
Take care,
Chris
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Hi Chris! Haven't seen you for a long time.
I know what you mean, but as Mr. Blues said (and I agree with him in this point) the age doesn't have to mean stagnation. The closest example is Mark Knopfler who doesn't change his style but every album feels a bit different and fresh. And there are many many examples on artists who keep 'inventing' stuff, even while remaining on the same style in general.
The worst is gone....
chrisreafan

Post by chrisreafan »

Hello Chris,

Always fun to read your opinion. Have you ever eaten some 'cacciatore' by a good (red) wine?
Recommended.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Thank you chrisreafan for your kind words.

I also value, a lot, your opinions on other performers and always check out your suggestions. I have a list 'to buy' with Danny Darst, Dave Alvin (in June) and Greg Brown (May 10) on it.
I don't know if I've already mentioned that I like Italian music? For that reason I'm waiting for the new album by Vinicio Capossela (Marinai, Profeti e Balene - Sailors, Prophets and Whales). He's the Italian version of Tom Waits, if you didn't know it. I discover a lot of "italianisms" in Chris Rea's music...

Nice to hear from you Elangelo, too. I follow you posts and read them with pleasure. I also have tried to identify the last tune and I thought it was similar to..."Electric Guitar"! And Chris, I think, still has the creative vein and we will all enjoy his new albums and dvds alike.

Take care,
Chris