The man The voice The guitar

Tour Reports 2010

blueskev

Re: Tour Reports 2010

Post by blueskev »

Had a great time in Brighton on Saturday :D I will write a review when I can but for now here is a video (not brilliant but the sound is ok) of Stainsby girls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gE7zS60Jd4
Regards,
Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
mark hughes
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by mark hughes »

Hi folks,

A great show at the Apollo in London on Sunday & good to see Paul Casey on stage with the band. I will write a review here soon.
...In this garden I will burn my callous robes...
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

blueskev wrote:Had a great time in Brighton on Saturday :D I will write a review when I can but for now here is a video (not brilliant but the sound is ok) of Stainsby girls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gE7zS60Jd4
Regards,
Kev.
We (my wife Louise and I) have seen Chris in Brighton four times now and although it isn't the most interesting venue, being a modern hall, the sound is good and the wheelchair access is easy. Although London is closer to us, Brighton is easier to drive in to.
We didn't get off to a good start, we had trouble finding somewhere to eat because everywhere was full as it was a Saturday. The other concerts we have been to have been during the week so it wasn't a problem. This slight hitch made us late so we missed the start of Paul Casey's set. I enjoyed the songs we heard but I felt that some backing would have been good, Just his singing and acoustic guitar was a bit too "basic" for my taste. He had a laugh with the crowd plugging his CD which I will probably buy. Paul finished at about 8.30 and then there was a break before Chris and the band came on. The hall was about 80% full I think, with just a small area to each side of the stage that was empty. They might not even sell tickets for these seats because the view would be very poor.

At 8.45 the lights dimmed, the stage backdrop was uncovered and Chris and the band came on stage. The concert started with the slide intro to "Cant wait for love" and from that point on we were treated to an awesome "full throttle" display of singing and guitar mastery. The songs were played without a pause between, and without any talking. Although I had heard the songs live before, it was still a treat to see and hear them again. The two new songs were great, especially electric guitar which I hadn't heard live before. Josephine was played getting faster towards the end which added a little twist to it. "Stainsby Girls" was a treat (as on the video) with Chris "shooting" the audience with his guitar and fooling around. All too soon it was the encore of "On The beach" and "Lets dance" which had the audience dancing in front of the stage more than I have seen before. When Chris did his "never too old to dance" bit on "lets dance", the spotlight went round the hall picking out those who were standing and dancing. The applause and foot stamping went on for ages after they left the stage until the lights came on and with them the sad realisation that it was over. But what a performance, I'm so glad we decided to go.

Anyone who didn't know about Chris wouldn't guess for a minute what he's been through and the medical problems he has. He gave it his all and a fit healthy person would have struggled to keep up with him on stage. I came out wondering yet again, why he isnt more popular, there was more talent and skill shown on that stage in 1.5 hours than you would see in a whole years worth of chart music.

One annoyance, nothing to do with Chris or the band and I'm not sure if this happens in other countries but during the last song, some people got up to leave. I have noticed this before and cannot understand why you would want to do it. Is queueing for the exit really such a hardship? Very strange.

A lot of people were taking pictures and recording on phones, you could see all the screens as you looked over the audience but I didnt see anyone being told off. I tried to video "Stony Road" which has particular significance to me but I missed the start, didnt realise that you have to zoom before recording and then pressed stop accidentaly! So I made a complete hash of it :-( but was able to salvage the audio track.

Regards,
Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Thanks Kevin
I wish I could have been there -sounds great
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Peter S... »

Kev,

Thank you for the report on your concert, much appreciated.

Peter S...
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Thank you Kevin,
I read your review with great interest. After all your account is the best litmus test for all of us since Chris is performing now on his own turf, back home; in England, Scotland and Ireland.
With kind regards,
Chris
vivienne
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by vivienne »

Thanks Kev for your report. I wait in anticipation for my chance to be there on April 4 in Dublin to see Chris. Was there any sign of merchandise about as I would love to have something to bring back home from the concert?
Cheers
Vivienne
'Til the morning sun shines
On my love and me
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

vivienne wrote:Thanks Kev for your report. I wait in anticipation for my chance to be there on April 4 in Dublin to see Chris. Was there any sign of merchandise about as I would love to have something to bring back home from the concert?
Cheers
Vivienne
Isn´t it already common knowledge that there is not any merchandise ?
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Great review Kev thanks :)
I'm looking forward to the gig here even more now :) :)

Vivienne wrote:Was there any sign of merchandise about as I would love to have something to bring back home from the concert?
Hi Viv
It is a pity there is no merchandise available from this tour and although you can't get something to take back from this tour there is plenty from previous tours available.I know as I have plenty :lol:
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

Tina3 wrote: It is a pity there is no merchandise available from this tour and although you can't get something to take back from this tour there is plenty from previous tours available.I know as I have plenty :lol:
Tina :) :)
Hi Viv,
To be honest I didn't miss the merchandise, I used to always want something from the concerts but the key rings, teddy bears and mugs on offer were always a bit disappointing but I would always buy something "for the sake of it". I hope that for the next tour (fingers crossed there will be one) they will get some quality items.

You can order from rono.de on line, they still stock merchandise from other tours but the postage costs are very high.
Regards,
Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

Mr_Blues wrote:
Mr Blues,
Vivienne is new here so probably wasn't aware about the lack of merchandise so that remark was unnecessary.

Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

blueskev wrote:
Mr_Blues wrote:
Mr Blues,
Vivienne is new here so probably wasn't aware about the lack of merchandise so that remark was unnecessary.

Kev.
Well, this has been talked in various topics and posts so....
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

Mr Blues
If I was a new user to a forum and was answered with an unnecessary remark like yours, I would think "what an unfriendly forum" and I wouldn't bother coming back.
Yes, the subject of no merchandise has been mentioned but I cannot see why you felt the need to make a negative post pointing this out especially after what has gone on over the last few months.
Please leave it at that.

Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

blueskev wrote:Please leave it at that.
Kev.
Thanks for your anticipation Kevin. We'll leave this subject now, so NO MORE commenting about this please! (and - of course - no discussion needed about this remark from the webmaster!)
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
desmolady

Post by desmolady »

Hi everyone,
Just to say that the gig at Portsmouth Guildhall on Monday was excellent, Chris looked very well, and I'd say that it was the best I've seen him :) He was very good at coping with the (friendly) comments from the Pompey crowd too :D Everyone on their feet for 'Lets Dance' :D