The man The voice The guitar

Concert wish list

BLUEHOOD71
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Concert wish list

Post by BLUEHOOD71 »

Reading the many different posts over the board you see mant fans have different ideas of which direction Chris should go next, what style of music he should do and should he do new stuff or old while on tour. This got me thinking if you could pick any 3 songs to hear live on he new tour what would they be? A very hard task I know so much good music over so many years however I would go for , Hired Gun, Curse of the traveller and The Hustler. Would love to hear what everyone else would like to hear
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: Concert wish list

Post by Mr_Blues »

BLUEHOOD71 wrote:Reading the many different posts over the board you see mant fans have different ideas of which direction Chris should go next, what style of music he should do and should he do new stuff or old while on tour. This got me thinking if you could pick any 3 songs to hear live on he new tour what would they be? A very hard task I know so much good music over so many years however I would go for , Hired Gun, Curse of the traveller and The Hustler. Would love to hear what everyone else would like to hear
1. Agree, Curse of the traveller from the old stuff would be great to hear on live.

Then almost anything from Blue Guitars, but let´s throw two

2. Two Days Missing Down The Viper Room
3. Too Much Drinkin´

I would love to see gig with music from Blue Guitars only :)

Here´s six songs which I DON`T WANT TO hear

1. Josephine
2. On The Beach
3. The Road To Hell
4. Fool (If You Think It's Over)
5. Stainsby Girls
6. Let's Dance

I have heard these songs way too many times and I rather listen almost any new song rather than these.
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Mr_Blues wrote:
1. Agree, Curse of the traveller from the old stuff would be great to hear on live.

3. Too Much Drinkin´

1. Josephine
2. On The Beach
3. The Road To Hell
5. Stainsby Girls
6. Let's Dance

I have heard these songs way too many times and I rather listen almost any new song rather than these.
I agree with Mr. Blues, Curse of the Traveller is a great song, but in the end is a matter of taste with all his songs; the six songs he doesn't want to hear made Chris what he is today, and I happen to love them still.

I believe Blue Guitars is his masterpiece so far.

Some people hate me because I don't like "Diamonds".... :lol:

Oh well, can't please eveyone,

Lily
philippe_wurtz
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by philippe_wurtz »

My pleasure will be if Mr Rea plays/songs old songs but not from him ...

i don't know the english name, in french we say "une reprise"

Automne leave,
temptation
Trill is gone
i got a spell on you
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

hm... I still recall when he sang "Moon River" a capella at the end of the 2006 concert, it was so wonderful...
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Peter S... »

Mr_Blues wrote:
BLUEHOOD71 wrote:

1. Josephine
2. On The Beach
3. The Road To Hell
5. Stainsby Girls
6. Let's Dance

I think all of the songs listed will be played but they will be changed from the original version. Chris has played these songs in the last three tours and each time there has been modifications to the song and each time it has sounded different. For example the version of Stainsby in the last tour was superb and it looked as though Chris enjoyed playing it. The concert at Bush Hall at the end of the month will probably be close to if not the set list for the tour.

I like everyone else have my wish list Wired To The Moon being at the top, i thought you could not beat the start of a Chris rea concert when you started with Nothing To Fear but Changing Times beat that.

Peter S...
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

Mr_Blues wrote:
BLUEHOOD71 wrote:Reading the many different posts over the board you see mant fans have different ideas of which direction Chris should go next, what style of music he should do and should he do new stuff or old while on tour. This got me thinking if you could pick any 3 songs to hear live on he new tour what would they be? A very hard task I know so much good music over so many years however I would go for , Hired Gun, Curse of the traveller and The Hustler. Would love to hear what everyone else would like to hear

3. Too Much Drinkin´

1. Josephine
2. On The Beach
3. The Road To Hell
5. Stainsby Girls
6. Let's Dance

As Lilly says, some songs are very important to Chris professionally and personally. Stony Road and Easy Rider for example, both of which I love and will never tire of hearing live. But, I do agree that there are so many good songs that it would be nice to hear as a change from Josephine, Stainsby Girls and more recently, Julia. We all know how important his wife and daughters are to him but I think we are due a break from hearing the songs in concerts this tour.
Of course it's all down to personal taste, if you love a particular song then you will probably never get fed up of hearing it live especially when they are played a bit differently, for example Stainsby Girls on the last tour when he "played around" on the guitar with the audience.
Reagards,
Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

Peter S... wrote:
I think all of the songs listed will be played but they will be changed from the original version. Chris has played these songs in the last three tours and each time there has been modifications to the song and each time it has sounded different. For example the version of Stainsby in the last tour was superb and it looked as though Chris enjoyed playing it. The concert at Bush Hall at the end of the month will probably be close to if not the set list for the tour.

I like everyone else have my wish list Wired To The Moon being at the top, i thought you could not beat the start of a Chris rea concert when you started with Nothing To Fear but Changing Times beat that.

Peter S...
Peter,
You got in just before me with the Stainsby Girls comment! I also totally agree about Nothing to Fear and Changing Times. I will never forget my first concert being blown away at the start with Nothing to Fear, now that, I would love to hear live again.
Reagards,
Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

I've never had the good fortune to see C.R. live so almost any song would be fine W/me !
I can't name 3 songs but my list would be Shadows of the big man / Expesso Logic / On the Beach / JOsephine /
Somewhere between Hwy. 61&48 / Gone Fishing / Nothing is Happening by the sea / Where the Blues come from / Auberge / When the grey skies turn to blue / Miles in a cigarette / Stony road / Nothing to fear / THe memory of a good friend / Lond is the time -hard is the road ! I could add many more !
LIly -I don't like Diamonds either
JIm
Nothings Happening By The Sea
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

I don´t disagree with the fact that the old hits are important part of Chris Rea.
And those truly brought the attention to many of us and we learned to know his music.
But the fact is that I´ve always put other songs ahead of the multi selling hits,
Curse Of The Traveller, Windy Town, Shine Shine Shine, All Summer Long (from Shamrock Diaries),
Out of the Darkness etc. are much better songs. So, if we can´t get any other older songs than
the ultimate hits, I rather listen all new songs from his blues era.

And here we get again to the question of changing the set lists, Chris indeed should change the songs that he plays each night, after all he has too many good songs to be wasted and not to play on live. [EDIT: Please don't use this word], over 130 songs including Blue Guitars should have his truly own tour as it ain´t fair to hear only few songs out of that. From that kind of master piece it would be thrilling to build set list each night by changing 3-4 songs. Imagine the thrill of suprise, you would never know what to expect. Now it´s like eating your british fish and chips, you [EDIT: Please don't use this word] sure know what you get and it sure gets boring in the long run.
cookie
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by cookie »

Now it´s like eating your british fish and chips, you [EDIT: Please don't use this word] sure know what you get and it sure gets boring in the long run.
But you still go back for more??

On the question of "wish list" firstly I can't imagine that Chris felt his next project was going to be a " Best of " album so I suspect somewhere along the line there has been a compromise. I therefore fully expect the playlist to be those tracks on the album with the single being one of them along with the usual standards of On The Beach, Josephine and Stainsby Girls included. But as has been said the Bush Hall gig will give us a better indication.

As they say though I am just happy to be there to listen to the master at work.

Cookie
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

cookie wrote:
Now it´s like eating your british fish and chips, you [EDIT: Please don't use this word] sure know what you get and it sure gets boring in the long run.
But you still go back for more??

On the question of "wish list" firstly I can't imagine that Chris felt his next project was going to be a " Best of " album so I suspect somewhere along the line there has been a compromise. I therefore fully expect the playlist to be those tracks on the album with the single being one of them along with the usual standards of On The Beach, Josephine and Stainsby Girls included. But as has been said the Bush Hall gig will give us a better indication.

As they say though I am just happy to be there to listen to the master at work.

Cookie
Actually it seems that I ain´t gonna see next tour at all and if the set list has its core in the same old hits
I ain´t sorry to not be able to see it. Small changes in the way how the old hits are played doesn´t give me reason enough to see that gig anyway.
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Mr_Blues wrote:From that kind of master piece it would be thrilling to build set list each night by changing 3-4 songs. Imagine the thrill of suprise, you would never know what to expect.
Oh yes, that would be great, but have you heard of an artist that changes his tracklist slightly for each new concert? I think it would be hard, and as far as I understand no-one really does it, although the fans would love it. Do you know if any of big artists change their playlist for every concert within a single tour?
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
Müfo
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by Müfo »

Of course there are bands out there who change their setlists very often during one tour though they don`t have nearly such an enormous backcatalogue than chris. Listen to the fantastic dEUs and Zita Swoon from Belgium or the Motorpsycho from Norway. They not only change the setlist, they change the songstructure and jam as hell. I wonder if chris isn't bored by himself? Remember the Stony road and Jukebox- tours? Almost new stuff and chris looked happy as I`ve never seen him before on stage.
@ Lily: Thanx a lot for uploading the Auberge- Video from Saarbrücken. Thats more than great cause I had been on that concert in `93. I was 14 and of course the youngest person in the crowed ;-). and we were all able to STAND!!! I alway feel ashamed beeing on a rock- concert and seeing so many people ,,sleeping" in their seats ;-)

reagards to you all
Jan
Does anybody know if ,,Still so far..." will be released as a physical single? Probably with some unreleased extra tracks?
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Müfo wrote:@ Lily: Thanx a lot for uploading the Auberge- Video from Saarbrücken. Thats more than great cause I had been on that concert in `93. I was 14 and of course the youngest person in the crowed ;-). and we were all able to STAND!!! I alway feel ashamed beeing on a rock- concert and seeing so many people ,,sleeping" in their seats ;-)
reagards to you all
Jan
Does anybody know if ,,Still so far..." will be released as a physical single? Probably with some unreleased extra tracks?
You're welcome Jan, wonderful that you were actually at that concert! :lol:
I have more videos to upload but it takes a long time to convert from vhs to dvd, and then edit each one, plus, some of the footage is blurry or shaky, so it's a process but I will upload them all, eventually.

I don't know if Still So Far will be release as a single with other bonus tracks, but I understand that Chris has at least 2 more albums completed, aside from this Best of, plus an autobiography. We'll have to wait and see... :D

Lily