The man The voice The guitar

New Single...

pizzaaddi
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Re: New Single...

Post by pizzaaddi »

And on rhino.co.uk you can find more about the forthcoming (Deluxe Fan Bundle) album.

Here is the link:

http://www.rhino.co.uk/rhino-store/prod ... e_2779.htm

P.S. Great new single. Sounds very good
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

pizzaaddi wrote:And on rhino.co.uk you can find more about the forthcoming (Deluxe Fan Bundle) album.

Here is the link:

http://www.rhino.co.uk/rhino-store/prod ... e_2779.htm

P.S. Great new single. Sounds very good
Thanks for that link, but says out of stock, so have they been sold already ?
could this be true, could this be me..
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

HI all,

Really enjoying the new single, here are the lyrics

I've come so far but I still have so far to go

I'm chained to the highway
there's no other way for me
always looking for a new day
always a dream ahead of me
seems like it's so many lifetimes
through the sunshine, rain, and snow
Yeah I've come so far but I still have so far to go
Well I've come so far but I still have so far to go

I still have so far to go

I'm gonna end up dying
but buddy it's this thing for you
but you may as well be gone already
if you say your dreams can't come true
there's been good times there's been bad
but I still love the show

Cheers,

Lily

P.S. Rich, the site says currently out of stock. It actually goes on sale Oct 5th, check back then, and also check amazon and HMV.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Well, I just read on the rhino site that bundle is limited to 350 orders only....

So I guess you're right Rich, can't get that one :-(

Lily
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Hi all,

I'm afraid I don't like the new song that much. Blues Rock is fine and I like ZZ-Top as well but rhythm isn't everything. What about melody, harmony? These have always been Chris' real strengths. This seems to me like another boring three-chord-song of which we had so many over the last few years - quite uninspired and again not well produced.

REAgards

Tobi
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

tobi777 wrote:Hi all,

I'm afraid I don't like the new song that much. Blues Rock is fine and I like ZZ-Top as well but rhythm isn't everything. What about melody, harmony? These have always been Chris' real strengths. This seems to me like another boring three-chord-song of which we had so many over the last few years - quite uninspired and again not well produced.

REAgards

Tobi
Well, maybe it's a blues standard... But the solo part is great, with more chords than three.
Anyway, I was just happy to hear that the sound is up again, I'm sure that when the new album comes out 2010, there will also be ballads, jazzee things and everything we like about CR.
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

REAgards

Tobi
Three chords ain´t that bad thing...About production, actually what can we say about song that is heard from internet radio and over spoken by radio host ? I would have to wait to hear the whole song with good sound system.
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

Cheers Lily,
I've sent rhino an e mail about the bundle, it can only be found by cutting and paste from here. I'll get back when I get a reply to update.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi all,
I was wondering if the Rhino intends to assign a Deluxe Fan Bundle for each country where the new album is going to be distributed. That way if you cannot buy a copy a one country you can alway try to obtain it someplace else....
I will go for the Deluxe Fan Bundle, should it be available here.
Best regards to all,
Chris
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

I wonder who were these 350 biggest fans who pre-ordered the bundle if no-one from this site knew about it before it was over :lol:
Maybe they should have questionned everyone who tried to order it, to see if this person is a real fan :)
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

REAgards

Tobi
Well, I must admit I didn't appreciate this tune so much too. Moreover I just can't uderstand the words like "Fantastic!" and so on. I remember 2 years before when we all were waiting for the new TRotFHBN tunes and how many of us there were disapponted having heard the first tune available sonically - Legacy Blue. Now and then I find it just another Rea's boogy tune like Let's Dance, nothing special but nothing really bad. A merely successful trailer for looking forward to something new. Then, in 2007, I knew the other songs from the forthcoming album would be mostly better than Legacy Blue, and again I'm sure it's all still to be continued in a better way.

By the way, as MrBlues and some other folks here, I found Knopfler's new album trailers just great, though they sure recall his past good works.

P.S. As the new song is very close to Legacy Blue I can propose Valentino must be exactly like Blues for Janice or smth. in that way of a ballad, don't you think so? :)
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
daveid
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by daveid »

Um...are there any new lyrics of any kind in this song? Or has he just taken a few words like "Highway", "chained", "sunshine" etc and re-ordered them to make the same song under a different name?

I've been a fan of Chris Rea for 16 years (despite the "starter Chris Rea fan" bollocks top right)and I hate to say it but he's lost it completely. Nearly every song is the same now; pathetic lyrics, cliched images, predictable chord changes and about only one verse in the song.

It's very hard to admit the truth about an artist you've admired for half your life when he goes rotten, but I'm sorry to say he has.

There is nothing new in his music any more, only tired, boring ideas and an incredibly limited vocabulary. What happened to lyrics like "In this garden I shall burn my callous robes" (Light of Hope). Listen to an album like On the Beach and listen to this crap. Is it the same artist? Or has he become a pastiche of some imagined idea of what he might have been like in some tiny commercially profitable moment in the late 80s?

A self-parody.

Sorry Chris, the show's over, at least to my ears.
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

daveid wrote:Um...are there any new lyrics of any kind in this song? Or has he just taken a few words like "Highway", "chained", "sunshine" etc and re-ordered them to make the same song under a different name?

I've been a fan of Chris Rea for 16 years (despite the "starter Chris Rea fan" bollocks top right)and I hate to say it but he's lost it completely. Nearly every song is the same now; pathetic lyrics, cliched images, predictable chord changes and about only one verse in the song.

It's very hard to admit the truth about an artist you've admired for half your life when he goes rotten, but I'm sorry to say he has.

There is nothing new in his music any more, only tired, boring ideas and an incredibly limited vocabulary. What happened to lyrics like "In this garden I shall burn my callous robes" (Light of Hope). Listen to an album like On the Beach and listen to this crap. Is it the same artist? Or has he become a pastiche of some imagined idea of what he might have been like in some tiny commercially profitable moment in the late 80s?

A self-parody.

Sorry Chris, the show's over, at least to my ears.
You are harsh there on just one piece of new work. I'll say it again, we have been spoilt by the last two works released by Chris. If the next full release is more commercial then so be it. I'm sure he has spent a bit of his own cash producing them. Something has obviously changed to go to warner bros, his music is still king to me, what if it is a bouncy rocky, blues number, i like it. Not every thing has to be deep and meaningful.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

I agree with Rich here :-) furthermore, I don't think 5 people complaining all the time will make a difference to the thousands that have followed Chris from the start and will buy his albums anyway, no matter what path he takes. He's still passionate about his music and it comes from the heart. You can't please everybody, but I think Chris Rea has more than paid his dues and deserves the respect and admiration of his true fans. I'm one of them.

Lily
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi all,

I'd like to side with Lily and Rich on this one.
Chris Rea has a certain style (a unique one, that is, and - in fact - it's his trade mark), which hasn't changed much (even with blues) since his first recordings. Hence, the title of his current single leading to the new album, "Come so far, yet still so far to go". You can sense his credo in it: "I'm chained to the highway; the's no other way for me to go...", "always looking for a new day"..., "always a dream ahead of me"...,"but I still like the show.."
Lyrics?, well he's not a great poet (he never claimed he was one) and you could say he had his ups and downs with words but basically he sticks to his vocabulary and uses it best he can. Chris admitted in interviews that he "kept on re-writing his old songs, changing them a bit" etc., so for me there's no surprise there either.
I admire him for his style and treasure for what he's done and he still does because all of his songs come directly from him. He writes his own texts and music. Music comes straight from his heart and goes into our harts and minds. Words are expressing his feelings and life's experiences including: his happy and sad moments, childhood and youth days, birth of his two daughters, reminiscence of his parents, brothers and sisters, friends and places he visited (beaches ((Spain, Italy)), islands (mostly Caribbean: Parrot Cay,Turks and Caicos Islands) , cities (Duesseldorf, Hamburg, Cologne, London, Dublin, Warsaw), rivers, far away places (in his imagination) as well as (yes!) hospitals.

And as far as "burning himself out", "running out of ideas", "coming to the end of the line", "being finished" (because the party is - allegedly - over) etc., I mostly take him for what he had done throughout his life and still want to hear him perform and record. I'm of the opinion he's predictable. At least he was and still is for me.
Best regards to all,
Chris
Last edited by Chris on 01 Sep 2009, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.