The man The voice The guitar

Chris his new double album and singles/tour etc

blueskev

Re: Chris his new double album and singles/tour etc

Post by blueskev »

Lets hope this is in addition to a new release, the cover picture doesn't look like chris's art work to me.
Regards to all,
Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi All,
[quote="blueskev"]Lets hope this is in addition to a new release[/quote]
Hi Kev
I hope so it is so hard to believe that Chris is bringing out yet ANOTHER "best of".On the video of the Mojo awards Chris mentioned a possible tour next year.What is he going to sing if it is not a new album??I know he will sing the regulars but that won't make up the time for an entire concert.
Have a great Sunday everyone
Tina :-))
Pick up the pieces and start again.
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Hi all,

I'm afraid it is not a mistake by Amazon. Just look at the picture of the album cover. I don't think Amazon made it. So it's going to be yet another best of. At least there will be 2 CDs.

I guess Chris doesn't have a lot to do with the desisions of the record companies. Maybe the last cd published by edel sold quite well and Rhino (which belongs to the Warner Music Group like eastwest does!) decided to make some money of his older songs. Again.

Each and every dud in the music business gets his box set and dvd and some other "collector's items" - but Warner can't think of anything different than releasing this "Best of" crap. How about some B-Sides? Or live rexcordings? Or or or...? It's just a sellout of a world class artist. Very annoying.

REAgards,

Tobi
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
If there is no new songs on this album I won't buy it.If Chris is prepared to stand up to music companies and sings as he sees fit then how come he doesn't voice his opinion on these "best off" albums.This is assuming that Chris finds them annoying then again maybe he doesn't.

[quote="tobi777"]Each and every dud in the music business gets his box set and dvd and some other "collector's items" - but Warner can't think of anything different than releasing this "Best of" crap. How about some B-Sides? Or live rexcordings? Or or or...? It's just a sellout of a world class artist. Very annoying[/quote]

Totally agree with you Tobi and as is everything else if we fans continue to buy these albums then record companies will keep producing them.Maybe us fans are the deciding force in this.We don't buy then maybe they won't produce.
Either way I will be bitterly disappointed if it is another "best of".
Kind regards
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Hello again,

I agree with you Tina - maybe we fans have more power than we might think. BUT: I've got the impression that the fans of Chris are not very present on the internet. This is the only notable page (thank you, Bart!). Just watch other fan communities communicate and you get the notion.

Maybe it's because Chris being so reclusive an his management doesn't seem to care much about us. The site chrisrea.de got caught in 2001 and chrisrea.com isn't much better ;-)

At least in Germany I often noticed that "fans" only liked his old stuff and went to his concerts because in was in the media during his commercial heyday in the late 80s / early 90s. In 1993 about 10.000 people watched him play live in Berlin - 1998 there were only 5.000. I didn't like "Blue Café" very much, either - but a decline of 50% is an indication of lacking loyalty I think. So we can't expect much of these fans. They listen to Chris while doing the laundry ;-)

Mark Knopfler's solo albums don't sell particularly well in comparison to his old DS records. He developed his own folk style which is not very commercial but he still has his faithful fans who buy his records, talk about his music and go to his concerts (last tour in Berlin: 10.000 of them!). Maybe Knopfler is more famous than Chris but this is just one example out of many for my impression that Chris' fans don't show enough.

REAgards,

tobi
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Tina, Tobias and All,

I'm confused as well as far as the "new" CD signaled by Chris in London in a brief interview with a reporter at the Mojo event. The picture of the supposed new cover on the Amazone.co.uk seems to be genuine. I have no reason to doubt there will be yet another Chris Rea's "best of." Should that be the case I'll probably skip this one, too.
I'm old enough to know that there is always something going on behind the scene when Chris (or his manager) must put up a fight for their rights with a record company. Perhaps not all previous albums were selling well? There must be a reason why the management keeps on changing the label - from WEA to Edel and then on to Rhino.
Tobias is right, I guess, when he suggests that we (as Chris Rea's fans) are not organized (or rather "disorganized".)
And this is the only site we can vent our feelings, a little....
I must say that I'm deeply disappointed.
Well, at least a new CD by Mark Knopfler (Get Lucky) is in the pipeline for some of us. And I'm glad it's not going to be his "the best of." We'll get lucky!

Best regards to you all,
Chris
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Well, seems like that there won´t be a new release from Chris in this house during this year.
You can put a bullet in my head if I go buying some best of album, that´s for sure :)
Insane shit I say, curse the day when Chris sold himself to the these companies.
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Hi all,

although I'm a bit disappointed by the news I am considering to buy the CD. First it will be a 2CD-Best-Of-set so maybe we get the first ever representative retrospective (unless the record company is going to mess up the track list...). Secondly I read in an article that his old hits will be remastered. Not these dull re-recorded versions they (ab)used on his last album a year ago! And I think some tracks definitively needed remastering! And maybe the two new songs "Come So Far..." and "Silvio" (I think these were the track names) will be great (still hoping).

What I don't understand is: this will obviously be a release by Rhino/Warner and (so I guess) will contain his old songs until "King Of The Beach". So how did they manage to add those new tracks? Did they make a deal with Chris' label or maybe these songs aren't so new? Did he change the label again? Did Rhino acquire his label? Any guesses?
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
Hi Chris How are you?? I hoe you are well and enjoying what you can of this so called summer.

Tobi,[quote="tobi777"]BUT: I've got the impression that the fans of Chris are not very present on the internet. This is the only notable page (thank you, Bart!). J[/quote]
I 2nd this one Tobi..thanks Bart....but there is a very good Chris page on Face Book.It doesn't have a forum yet but hoping that will be only a matter of time.I think most of Chris's fans are internet wise but our problem is we have no where to go except here and hopefully Face Book too.

[quote="tobi777"]Maybe it's because Chris being so reclusive an his management doesn't seem to care much about us.[/quote]
I have thought this many times too Tobi that Chris's management doesn't give a [EDIT: Please don't use this word] about us fans. I don't understand what the problem is or why they don't seem to want to use the internet.Mark Knopfler is a great example of how musicians can interact with their fans.His site on the net is one of the best kept that I know of.

Hi Chris...[quote="Chris"]I'm old enough to know that there is always something going on behind the scene when Chris (or his manager) must put up a fight for their rights with a record company. Perhaps not all previous albums were selling well? There must be a reason why the management keeps on changing the label - from WEA to Edel and then on to Rhino.[/quote]
I'm the same as you here but where does Jazzee Blue fit into all of this.I understood Chris has his own record label so what am I missing here.Why do these same record companies keep appearing??

[quote="Chris"]Well, at least a new CD by Mark Knopfler (Get Lucky) is in the pipeline for some of us. And I'm glad it's not going to be his "the best of." [/quote]
Yes something to look forward to along with a new album from Vargas Blues Band and later still Robert Cray has his new album too.So yes something to look forward to :-))
rs4951
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by rs4951 »

Rhino are really just the archive division for Warner so it's not really another move of record label by Chris.
Rhino actually have a good reputation for managing back catalogues although they do sometimes just do the standard best of's too.

[Case in point is the current Rod Stewart reissue campaign they are managing:
-expanded versions of all solo albums 1980-2001, digital only
- Collector's editions (2CD) of five of his studio albums and the unplugged album
-A live 4cd boxset, next year
- A 4cd studio boxset this September with 26 previously unreleased songs plus 37 alternative versions of old songs (including a "piano version" of Windy Town)
- Compilation of b'sides and remixes
-The release of a studio album done in 1992 that was shelved at the time.]
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Hi all,

just take a look at the cover pic on amazon.co.uk - an acoustic guitar! Maybe I'm a bit fussy but this cover has not much to do with Chris. Should have been "Pinky" or at least ANY Stratocaster or an Italia. This pic looks like a cheap run-of-the-mill cover.

If they don't care about an adequate packaging I doubt the rest will be better...sigh...

REAgards,

Tobi
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by 1981 »

What a lot of complaining about nothing. Some here think Chris is one of those few artists who releases a 'best of' album every single year. Fact is that there have been only four 'best of' albums that fit the Chris Rea canon:
- New Light Through Old Windows (1988),
- the best of Chris Rea (1994),
- the very best of Chris Rea (2001) and
- Fool If You Think's Over: The Definitive Greatest Hits (2008).

Most others are just record label releases (probably with little to no input by Chris). Ignore the 3-disc release 'The Works' and stuff like that. The four above are the only true Chris Rea compilations that are part of the official discography.

About the new release? I need to have more information about it. If it contains new work and is compiled and (co-)produced by Chris, it's definitely part of the canon.
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

From chris's facebook page:
The new Chris Rea album "STILL SO FAR TO GO...THE BEST OF CHRIS REA" will be launched at an exclusive gig at London's Bush Hall in September. It chronicles 30 years of his recordings with Magnet and Warner Bros., plus tracks from the Jazee Blue album. It has two brand new songs "COME SO FAR YET STILL SO FAR TO GO" and "VALENTINO". It will also include live and interview footage on a special limited edition digi pack. Fool (If You Think It's Over), On The Beach, Let's Dance, Josephine, Stainsby Girls and I Can Hear Your Heartbeat will be included on the double CD in brand new remastered versions, alongside seminal Rea tracks including Working On It, The Road To Hell (Part 2), Auberge and Julia.
The Limited Edition album will be available in the UK through amazon.co.uk http://www.amazon.co.uk/Still-So-Far-Go ... 23&sr=1-13
and HMV http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleSearch.do?s ... Search.y=9.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Thank you Kevin for posting this more precise information about the album.
I would have to take a look at the "special edition" and probably will end up... buy it if it contains an interview with Chris as well as two (2) new songs.

Answering Tina's question, yes we have had a semi-summer over here, but the weather wasn't too bad for the last couple of days and the shooting stars appeared in the northern skies...meaning Mark Knopfler's and Chris Rea's albums, so life isn't boring.

Best regards,
Chris
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Yeah, you know what, I´m gonna just get those two new songs and I will download them from someone as files and hell not put any euros to that collection. I don´t care if someone thinks that there is "only" 4 best of albums, fifth is on its way and half of them are vain anyway. I hate collections and the efforts of trying to get more money by only adding few new songs in it. And who the hell says that those two new songs a worth of to be in that list of so called best of songs??? Bring on new albums, forget the [EDIT: Please don't use this word] collections.
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)