The man The voice The guitar

Chris his new double album and singles/tour etc

andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: Chris his new double album and singles/tour etc

Post by andrew fischer »

Well, I do really wonder what concert footage the CD/DVD edition will contain... Any ideas?.. Maybe the same as Stony Road - Cologne 2002 footage? or something from the latter tours?...
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Chris
[quote="Chris"]the shooting stars appeared in the northern skies...meaning Mark Knopfler's and Chris Rea's albums, so life isn't boring.[/quote]
I love your description :-)) One of Mark's songs is available to listen to on line so at least we know that seems to be going well for a new release.The whole new Robert Cray album is available to listen to on line as well so life is not boring at the moment.
Like yourself I will go for the special edition of the next album from Chris.I am feeling a bit cheated to be honest and feel that this is a deliberate ploy by the record companies to force us to buy this album.

[quote="Chris"]I hate collections and the efforts of trying to get more money by only adding few new songs in it. And who the hell says that those two new songs a worth of to be in that list of so called best of songs??? [/quote]
Hi Mr Blues,
I know how you feel and good point why are these 2 songs considered for a "best of" when we don't know them.I think the only way to show Chris and record companies that we don't want these albums is not to buy them but as I have written earlier we are caught in the middle as they have put 2 new songs on there. So what do we do??
I don't like downloading so don't see what else we can do except buy them.

[quote="andrew fischer"]Well, I do really wonder what concert footage the CD/DVD edition will contain... Any ideas?..[/quote]
Hi Andrew,
I hope something different than Stony Road.Something we haven't seen before.I am wondering about the album itself. Benny Santini was 30 years old last year so could Chris have done a new version of some of the songs from that album. It's only one idea of many I guess.
Tina :-))
Pick up the pieces and start again.
daveid
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by daveid »

from last.fm website

STILL SO FAR TO GO…THE BEST OF CHRIS REA

The new Chris Rea album “STILL SO FAR TO GO…THE BEST OF CHRIS REA” will be launched at an exclusive gig at London’s Bush Hall in September. It chronicles 30 years of his recordings with Magnet and Warner Bros., plus tracks from the Jazee Blue album. It has two brand new songs “COME SO FAR YET STILL SO FAR TO GO” and “VALENTINO”. It will also include live and interview footage on a special limited edition digi pack. Fool (If You Think It’s Over), On The Beach, Let’s Dance, Josephine, Stainsby Girls and I Can Hear Your Heartbeat will be included on the double CD in brand new remastered versions, alongside seminal Rea tracks including Working On It, The Road To Hell (Part 2), Auberge and Julia.
The Limited Edition album will be available in the UK through amazon.co.uk
daveid
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by daveid »

track listing
disc 1
1. Fool (If You Think It's Over)
2. On The Beach
3. Let's Dance
4. Diamonds
5. Loving You
6. I Can Hear Your Heartbeat
7. I Don't Know What It Is But I Love It
8. Stainsby Girls
9. Josephine
10. It's All Gone
11. Loving You Again
12. Joys Of Christmas
13. Driving Home For Christmas
14. Working On It
15. Tell Me There's A Heaven
16. Heaven
17. Looking For The Summer
18. Come So Far Yet Still So Far To Go [previously unreleased]
disc 2
1. Road To Hell, The [part 2]
2. Auberge
3. Winter Song
4. Nothing To Fear
5. God's Great Banana Skin
6. Julia
7. You Can Go Your Own Way
8. When Grey Skies Turn To Blue
9. Blue Cafe, The
10. New Times Square
11. Stoney Road
12. Easy Rider
13. Blue Street
14. Somewhere Between Highway 61 And 49
15. Shadow Of A Fool
16. Valentino [previously unreleased]
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by 1981 »

'til 'King of the Beach' it would be easy to compile a 'chronicles' set. This selection is far from interesting. Selecting two tracks out of approx 150 Blue Guitars/Blue Notes is quite impossible.

Btw. Chris should quit releasing 'official compilations'. THis is the second one in a row. And again, I'm not buying it. Like Mr. Blues I will only download the two new tracks.
Hopefully we'll see a new full album within a year (to be honest, I wouldn't mind a 1-disc album).
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

Hi, two things.
Firstly just had an e mail promoting Paul Caseys' new album which is out in September. In the e mail it states Paul is again supporting Chris him on tour next year and will be in Chris' band itself for the tour.

Secondly all the debate over the 'Best of' made me re watch the '.soundtrack to my life' TV interview he did on release of Hofner Blue Notes music book. When speaking about them Blue Guitars and Fabulous Hofner Bluenotes', he said and I quote '' Well I'll only ever only do that now,.there will only ever be a music book from me and there will never be just another cd, because I realise the last time Elton John brought a record out he did everything promotion wise,he was proud of the record,and he worked his butt offand the sales could never be as much as they use to be. Just bringing a cd out is not enough for an older market that loves music,and loves the historty and the cult of album music there's still a life there, and we've proved it with the blue guitars and Hofner blue notes.''
He then goes on to say after singing 'legacy blues'. When asked about the future - ''I've already started 3 more books''
So where is that collection I wonder?
P.S Like many others, I will no doubt buy the new collection of 'Best' as well.
could this be true, could this be me..
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
[quote="ace of hearts"]Firstly just had an e mail promoting Paul Caseys' new album which is out in September. In the e mail it states Paul is again supporting Chris him on tour next year and will be in Chris' band itself for the tour.[/quote]
This is interesting.I am waiting to hear more about this tour.I wonder what Chris is going to sing.

[quote="ace of hearts"]He then goes on to say after singing 'legacy blues'. When asked about the future - ''I've already started 3 more books''
So where is that collection I wonder?[/quote]
Well look like Chris says a lot of things.I am starting to wonder are these "books" real or just in his imagination.Something along the same idea as been a member of a 3 piece band called "The Fireflies".That didn't happen either.

Hi Daveid,
Thanks for the information on the track listing.Who knows maybe Chris has done newer versions of some of these songs.Other than that nothing to get too excited about.
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Hi
I for one will buy the new album but as I've said before -I'll buy anything C.R. does !
At least there are a few songs here not on the usual best of's and a couple of new ones.
I have a theory if you recall it was VERY quiet before Blue Guitars came out.
Also Chris has said he had to cut back on Blue Guitars because he had too much material.
I think he's working on completing Blue Guitars (Italian Blues etc.) and I'm hoping for another Ear book sooner than later ! Perhaps I'm being too optomistic -but I'm hoping !
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hello again to all of you,

I've decided to buy the album anyway. For me it would be a gesture of loyalty to the artist we all (I assume) so adore in this "free downloading" epidemic.
Besides, it's a "best of" but with an extra cherry on top, with an interview and some live tracks to enjoy. There'll be an option to buy only the two new songs either by downloading them or as "singles", but I will go for the delux edition ("digipack", or what have you.)

Tina, the new album "Get Lucky" by Mark Knopfler, I read someplace, will be very much Irish and Scottish (Gaelic), soft with a lot of pipes, fiddles and accordion and pretty much characteristic of Mark.

Best regards to all,
Chris
vivienne
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by vivienne »

On Chris' DVD from the Blue Guitars book he made comment that On The Beach was meant to be a blues song but he was pressured to make it middle of the road. Could it be possible that the songs on this new album are done the way he intended them to be when he originally created them. His newer version of Josephine on the the banjo is an example of how a song can be changed for the better. Let's hope the new CD has something "new" on it for us all.

I will still buy the new CD whatever

Regards
Vivienne
'Til the morning sun shines
On my love and me
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
I was on the HMV website last night and they gave a detailed description of the next album from Chris which makes interesting reading.I think I will be buying from here even though it means waiting an extra week or more as Dublin usually has the 1 of the first release dates.I'm not in any great hurry to get this album.They also have the best price if you order in advance.In my local music store the price of the Digipack is €22.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/simpleSearch.do?s ... Search.y=0

If you click on the "more info" link it gives a very detailed description of what will be on the release.

It's like you have said Chris...a best off with a cherry on top.
Thanks Chris for the information on Marks next album.I think I will be ordering this too :-))

[quote="vivienne"]Let's hope the new CD has something "new" on it for us all.[/quote]
I hope so too Vivienne
Have a great weekend everyone
daveid
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by daveid »

And here is that info:
Aug 2009

Featuring a limited edition plectrum revisit the musical journey of one of the UK's foremost singer / songwriters / guitarist as 'Still So Far To Go' chronicles the incredible career of Middlesbrough's greatest export and finest son.

'Still So Far To Go - The Best Of Chris Rea' includes two brand new studio recordings, 'Come So Far' and 'Yet Still So Far To Go' as well as other classic Rea tracks such as 'Fool (If You Think It's Over)', 'On The Beach', 'Let's Dance', 'Josephine' and 'Stainsby Girls', 'Working On It', 'The Road To Hell (Part 2)', 'Auberge', 'God's Great Banana Skin' and 'Julia'.

The Limited edition 2CD version additionally includes expanded booklet with personal sleevenotes by Chris Rea, a selection of his own paintings and additional photos. The second disc is fingerprinted, allowing access to exclusive content when inserted into a PC/Mac, which will include a free download of the demo to 'Valentino', brand new interview footage of Chris talking about himself, the 2 new songs and his forthcoming 2010 tour. Plus archive videos, previous live footage, wallpapers and more...

'Come So Far' and 'Yet Still So Far To Go' - bit of a misunderstanding there. A bit like Jane Austen's acclaimed novels "Pride" and "Prejudice".

Incidentally, the fact that this is a Warner / Rhino compilation makes me wonder if the complete re-mastered back catalogue might be on the way, maybe 2-disc editions? That's exactly what Rhino did with Elvis Costello earlier this decade.... That would be every fan's dream.
rs4951
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by rs4951 »

[quote="daveid"]Incidentally, the fact that this is a Warner / Rhino compilation makes me wonder if the complete re-mastered back catalogue might be on the way, maybe 2-disc editions? That's exactly what Rhino did with Elvis Costello earlier this decade.... That would be every fan's dream.[/quote]

A double disc Best of is how Rhino started the Rod Stewart catalogue reissue that is currently underway so you may be right.
I would not get my hopes up for double discs of all albums though - Rod's albums would have outsold Chris in most instances, but Rhino felt that only 5 of them would sell enough to warrant Collector's Editions.
chrisrea101
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by chrisrea101 »

I've just pre-ordered the new best of offering. Its a new release with just enough new stuff to make it worth while (new songs, and hopefully new paintings and interview!!) however, Im a bit disappointed with "another best off" I cant get my head around what chris says will happen, and what actually happens - so much so I think we should make a list of the 'nearly but not quite' projects/ "phantom discography "e.g the fireflies, delmonts tour, more earbooks etc.

Maybe thats being a bit harsh and chris is still under pressure from record companies to release these types of records, one like heartbeats and the works etc. seemed to have little or no input from chris himself, but this one seems like it involves him, e.g new songs.

Lets hope this release will be preceded by more books, and maybe this rumoured autobiography??? which to be honest I would prefer then a new record. The title "so far to go" hints strongly at more original rea projects.

To my knowledge the "missing projects" are

1. more delta blues stuff (farewell DVD where chris says he's haunted by a gospel/ irish/ blues mix)
2. the memphis fireflies trio
3. delmonts go italia release and some sort of tour...
4. music and dance, guitar world, beach life earbooks...
5. more HBN's???
6. "The book"

any one know of anything else???

Whats bart's your take on this release.
anyways good health to chris, lets enjoy his new stuff, and tour!! keep up the good work on this site
Jump a train from Chicago
Trace it back
with the neck of a bottle
and the groove of the tracks
oh mississippi...running through my veins
BLUEHOOD71
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by BLUEHOOD71 »

I have been a big fan for years since I heard Shamrock Diaries when I was 15. Followed Chris and his work ever since back catalogues up to present date. I like many others am begining to feel a little disgruntled with the amount of best of albums coming out. If his health does not allow new material then I would suggest we all understand without having yet another Best of Album being sent out. Maybe a silver lining will be that I/we hear older songs live that I/we have either never heard or not heard for a long time. I have seen Chris numerous times live and he never lets us down however again I feel here there are only so many times On the Beach for eg can be done the same way. All sounds rather negative for a man I hold as my favourite artist of ALL time and will always jump at the chance of seeing live and again after all I have said I will buy new album just so that I can keep my collection up to date.