The man The voice The guitar

Autumn 2008

Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Autumn 2008

Post by Peter S... »

Hi,

Sorry to post this, but [...] the proposed autmn tour of The Delmonts has been cancelled.

Regards,

Peter S...

[Edit webmaster]
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
jwanzong
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Re: Autumn 2008

Post by jwanzong »

WHY??? Any ideas? Any further info? Thanks
Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by Peter S... »

Hi,

Someone I know was talking to Chris after one of the Newcastle gigs and he asked about the proposed autumn tour and Chris said it was cancelled with the promotor given as the reason. So bottom line it someone thinks its not financially viable.

As has been discussed elsewhere on this Forum, if he was to play just The Delmonts and people turn up to hear RTH etc then there would be uproar.

I dont think Chris would have a success with just playing The Delmonts, as like others I heard many voices at the concert decalre that they were not happy with the first 20 minutes or so.

This last tour was supposed to be all new, nor more RTH etc, it was not, why? Because the money men guessed that the paying customer (not his fans) wanted to here some new but mostly old Chris Rea songs.

Regards,

Peter S...
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
jwanzong
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by jwanzong »

Thanks for the info. That is really too bad as I would buy a ticket to every concert if I could simply hear the Delmonts play for 2 hours. I LOVED it! True exquisite band work and the music was FUN.
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Post by Jutta »

jwanzong wrote:Thanks for the info. That is really too bad as I would buy a ticket to every concert if I could simply hear the Delmonts play for 2 hours. I LOVED it! True exquisite band work and the music was FUN.

Hi Peter, hi Jennifer (?),
I wish there would be a possibility to vote on this forum or another to get figures. It would be interesting to learn how many fans insists of his old songs and how many can do without them and prefer the new ones.

Bye and have a nice weekend!
Jutta
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hello Jutta,

A very good suggestion; I'm all for it. Let's see how many of us would go to a pure Delmonts-only gig.
The problem is, however, we are a selected group of fans who would go to any concert by Chris Rea, even if he would decide to play with a symphony orchestra!
If Chris Rea intends to play Delmonts only he must name the tour accordingly: "The Delmonts Tour", so that people would know what they are in for. Fans or no fans, the concert goers want to know what to expect from a gig. It applies to public everywhere since Chris's music is well know. To great extend, it's the name ("Chris Rea") that is selling the tour. The Delmonts on this tour were not part of the title (The Return of the Fabulous Hofner Bluenotes), that's why it caused some confusion because people were not familiar with the new album. The earBook came out onto the market definitely too late. Nobody promoted the album in the media, at least "on the continent." A few articles in either English or German (which we fished out) have helped us to grasp the new concept. But we were the lucky few to share it on this forum.

Speaking about the FHBN's tour, that just ended in Dublin, I think it was designed to satisfy everyone. It's quite possible that someone, after the first few gigs, has suggested to Chris to cut back on Delmonts. I'm drawing this conclusion from the fact that Chris (that is: if I'm not mistaken!), started playing fewer Delmonts' tunes after his concert in Paris or Amsterdam. By the time he arrived in Prague and then in Warsaw, it was only a 20 minute part with merely six or seven cuts. That's all.
Being at the gig in Warsaw I've seen confused people who waited for "the real Chris Rea", meaning: his well known songs. Furthermore, Chris stated clearly on his web page that he wants to satisfy his fans. He's opened for our suggestions and I know he will take steps according to our wishes.
There was no explanation, up to this date, what happened to the "Memphis Fireflies?"
Take care and have a great Sunday,
Chris