The man The voice The guitar

Chris In Dublin

Tina3
Support
Support

Chris In Dublin

Post by Tina3 »

Hi everybody,
Dublin is now over and so comes the end of another tour :( not that we need reminding).Paul Casey kicked of the evening at about 7.45pm.He was well received by the audience.When Chris FINALLY came on at about 8.45pm he was his usual fanastic self and so was his band.No changes from the song list that was was on recent concerts.Nothing added on either since it was his last concert.
I can say one or two things positive about the audience but not much else.Chris's old songs i.e Josephine etc were very well received and while Chris sang Let's Dance some of the audience quite willing got up and danced much to Chris's delight.As to the newer material i.e Return Of The..... the audience didn't have a clue what was going on.Clapping at the end of the Delmonts tunes was non existenced.At one stage I heard some person behind me say "will he ever stop playing this crap and start singing".I don't know what to say to that other than if they consider themselves Chris Rea fans why are they not familar with his music.Maybe they just didn't like The Delmonts as I Can't Wait For Love got a better response but only by some.I did speak to a few other "fans" but when I asked them what they thought of the latest realease they hadn't a clue about what I was talking about as they neither had bought it or had even tried to hear it.I am now wondering is there something wrong with me.I take it to mean that if you are a "fan" of any musician you usually try and keep up with their music or am I mistaken? Well I didn't go to see the audience but that said I think Dublin concerts for me with Chris are now finished.I think England or maybe even somewhere in Europe I might try next time as I hope there will be.I just don't like the attitude of security staff that over see the concerts in Dublin.Other concerts have shown me that.I just might go and see him again maybe in The Olymipa but not again in the Stadium.Enough said for now
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Re: Chris In Dublin

Post by Chris »

Hello Tina,
Thank you for your review. The tour is over but we'll keep on tracing Chris Rea's activities as well as exchanging views. Well, you know, audiences here and there are more or less the same. I don't expect everyone to know a lot about Chris, I've learned my lesson on several occasions, so I just take every gig as it comes. I'm happy that people still like Chris and his music, his guitar style and his voice alike.
Let's hope a new DVD and for new concert tour in the autumn.
Take care,
Chris
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi Tina,

Sorry about your disappointment :( and the audience in Dublin.

I think Chris Rea's management didn't do its job in promoting the HBN book BEFORE the tour, for the main stream audience.

There's nothing wrong with you !! :D :D I'm sure everybody here feels the same as you. Us dedicated fans do follow his work, and have heard his latest music, if not purchased it. Don't feel guilty on behalf of the Dublin audience, remember how nice your meeting with Chris was in Newcastle, and how pleased he was with your conversation :D

Whatever Chris decides to do in the fall, whether it's The Delmonts, or HBN, we will follow closely because we like him and his music.

I don't know how the young audience at Glastonbury may react to his music though, specially if he's planning on playing The Delmonts! Probably not a good idea for that concert. But Chris is in charge of his music now, and will do as he pleases :D

Take care Tina, I'll be checking in and out this next two weeks.

Lily B.
Last edited by lilybee on 22 May 2008, 03:17, edited 1 time in total.
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Post by Jutta »

Hi Tina, Chris and Lily,

I am also ambivalent of the concert. Actually I enjoyed the music very much and Chris was very lively, but the atmosphere in the audience was lala.
As they announced this concert (I dont know when it was - a year ago?) I expected something else from the tour. I really wonder why he is still touring under the name Chris Rea and why he plays his old songs. Dont get me wrong. I like the songs too - though I must admit I am a bit fed up of them. I dont mind if he would release another "new light through old windows" with them. I even would buy it, but I think after doing that he could leave it at that. Anyway we already have the new live versions on the road to hell and back-cd.
I think the problem is as usual: The tour was just too commerical. I got a google-alert today where you can read about the big success of this tour, that means that the tour organisers earned a lot of money with Chris Rea.In Germany and maybe on other places there is a trend, that people around 40 reminisce about their youth and the songs they were listening to when they were young. "Give me the feeling back" is a slogan of a popular radio station and then they play "on the beach" and other stars of the 80s. These people really have no clue about Chris Rea. They got their feelings back on the tour and the organisers are pleased. :|

I miss a band called ... lets say the Hofner Bluenotes with a guitarist, songwriter and singer whose name is accidentally Chris Rea, playing in small clubs, playing just new blusey stuff. I bet the real fans would be there.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi there! I see you Tina and Chris and Juta :D

Too bad the chat room is not working :(

Lily B.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hello again, Lily and Tina,

I'm also of the opinion that it was wrong the album was not promoted before the tour. That was a major mistake and I wrote a post or two about it here. Even during the tour and after it (in the continental Europe) it was hard to find the FHBN earBook in stores. My friends had to order it and wait a week, or so. That's something I cannot completely understand. I'm aware that Chris is no longer with a big label but there must be a way to get this product onto the market.
John Knowles, Chris's manager, had been around for the last couple of years now. I hope he does his job to his boss's likings. Personally though, he turned me off when he used vulgar language on one or two videos I've seen. To represent such a valuable artist as Chris is, I think, one should have class and manners.

I'm sorry Tina you though the audience in Dublin was not adequate, or up-to-date with Chris's music. It takes special people like yourself, Lily and others on this forum to be die-hard fans, you know.
Best regards to you both,
Chris
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi Chris,

I know the video you're talking about, the DVD of the Blue Guitars album, didn't like Knowless language either.
But... it's not the language I'm worried about, (Chris is been described as a "Sewer Mouth' himself ! );
is the fact of not promoting his work before such a big tour. I also read your previous posts on this.

I was just reading the guestbook at chrisrea.com, and a lady there made it clear that some of them had no choice not to be able to dance, either because of a wheelchair or they just weren't allowed.

Cheers,

Lily B.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Lily,Chris and Jutta,
Thankyou for your replys.I think my disappointment lies in the fact that the tour is over.Like you Chris I am well used to audiences.I honestly don't see why if they like Chris and his music why they are not more up to date.I can understand for many reasons why you might not have all his music but surely people cannot think that all Chris sings is them songs from the 90's.I mean what do they think he has been doing for the last few years.
Jutta wrote:As they announced this concert (I dont know when it was - a year ago?) I expected something else from the tour. I really wonder why he is still touring under the name Chris Rea and why he plays his old songs. Dont get me wrong. I like the songs too - though I must admit I am a bit fed up of them

Jutta I think I can answer this for you to some extent.I think Chris wants to move on from these songs but from the response that he gets when he sings them I think he is some what stuck.I think Chris genuinely likes to keep his fans happy and I have seen this over the last 2 concerts.Not just by what he sings but I think he likes to sign autographs on their programmes and whatever else they ask of him.This too includes photographs.I just think he is a really nice man who doesn't want to disappoint the people he meets

lilybee wrote:I don't know how the young audience at Glastonbury may react to his music though, specially if he's planning on playing The Delmonts! Probably not a good idea for that concert. But Chris is in charge of his music now, and will do as he pleases :D

I don't know a lot about Glastonbury other than its trying to change its image and attract all age groups not just young people.BUT here too Chris's management has let us fans down BADLY.What is the point of announcing that Chris is playing at this venue a few weeks AFTER the registration for tickets has closed :evil: No point what so ever.

But... it's not the language I'm worried about, (Chris is been described as a "Sewer Mouth' himself ! );
is the fact of not promoting his work before such a big tour. I also read your previous posts on this.
[/quote]
Lily I LOVE his new name :) :) and this man was so RUDE in that DVD.Imagine talking to camera men who are making a video about your boss and speak to them in that manner.Is Chris a Sewer Mouth? Can someone point to where this is noticable cause I don't remember hearing it.There again I could be deaf as it is Chris here we are talking about. :)Lily have a good trip and keep in touch.Nice talking to all of you
Last edited by Tina3 on 03 Sep 2008, 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Chris wrote:John Knowles, Chris's manager, had been around for the last couple of years now. I hope he does his job to his boss's likings. Personally though, he turned me off when he used vulgar language on one or two videos I've seen. To represent such a valuable artist as Chris is, I think, one should have class and manners.
Hi Chris ,
Thankyou for your kind thoughts and I know I am among true fans here.
Last edited by Tina3 on 03 Sep 2008, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

HI Tina,
Is Chris a Sewer Mouth? Can someone point to where this is noticable cause I don't remember hearing it.There again I could be deaf as it is Chris here we are talking about.
Did you read Chris' introduction on the Blue Guitars Book? It's all there, Chris' candid personality shining through. As for the "sewer mouth" comment, I read it on a couple of interviews Ronald had on his site. That's just who he is, ... who knows.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning, (be back in two weeks), but I'll check in whenever possible.

Take care,

Lily B.
Last edited by lilybee on 22 May 2008, 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Lily,
I hope you have a good trip and that it goes well.I have not forgotton the other photos or the magazine artical I have.I will get around to sending them to you.I would think things could be quite around here now that the tour is finished but who knows.I wonder does Chris keep on Knowles as is far more capable of treating people wheather they are fans or others with a LOT of indifference something I am not sure Chris could do all the time.We can all loose it at times and Chris is no different but I think Knowles is capable of this kind of behaviour ALL the time.It would be nice if his daughters, well at least one of them would take over but I'm not so sure.I would think Chris and his wife brought them up to treat people with a bit of respect.Talk soon
Tina
september blue
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by september blue »

Hi Tina,

At last someone who realises that the audiences at the concerts are just there because they think all they are going to hear are 'Road To Hell' et al!!

I have always said that the concerts aren't quite the same anymore, but have evolved nicely over the years. The music is great and the challenge of The Delmonts is a brave move considering that the last time most of us remember anything similar was The Shadows!! I've seen them and it wasn't a good experience!! I have to say that I cannot keep The Delmonts CD out of the car now, it really has grown on me.

When we were at the Bournemouth concert it was just brimming with people who were expecting the same old, same old if you know what I mean!! I nearly wore my Road To Hell concert T-shirt from 1990 too!!

I must say that the only surprise I had was that the hall was not sold out which was posted on the BIC website. We were on the terrace and there was at least 30 seats in front that were empty as well as the seats in the wings and up in the balcony. Maybe that is down to the marketing??

Anyway glad you enjoyed the music, afterall that's why we all continue to go back for more. Even if he had a moment and changed to punk rock I think we would all still go!!! :D

SB
Nothing's happening by the sea!
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi S.B,
It's nice to know that I am not on my own! I think if Chris didn't sang the old songs anymore none of us would be that upset.We do like them just we want the other music too.He is just so good now that I rarely listen to the older music. I feel the same about The Delmonts.I just LOVE that CD and I can't stop playing it either.I would love another CD by them.The Dublin concert was sold out so much so that extra seats were added and sold on the day.I was talking to a woman at the concert who bought her ticket only last Wednesday and she ended up right in front of Chris where as I bought mine last year and ended up down towards the back.I think it could be down to bad advertising on the part of Chris's management if the concerts were not sell outs.With regard to what Chris sings he could sing 3 Blind Mice or about 2 flies going up a wall and I would still go and see him :) He is just the BEST and there will never be another like him.It's been nice talking to you and hope to again soon
september blue
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by september blue »

Hi Tina,

You are totally right about the marketing side of things. I bought my tickets last year in the Autumn and I was surprised that so little was done to promote the tour. Back in 1988/9 on the 'RTH' tour everyone knew the song as commercially it was 'on the money' at that time. What was a real shame was that the only real cheer came when RTH was played and at the end when Let's Dance had finished. By that time it was a bit late!!

If you look at the older tours, he used to play at much more intimate halls eg in our area he would be at Poole Arts Centre (capacity no more than 15/1600). Now he plays at the Bournemouth International Centre the capacity is around 4000! And you need to push hard to put that many bums on seats!!

I also feel that it wasn't that long ago he did the 'farewell' tour and I spoke to some people who thought it was a bit sly to tour again so soon with the way it was sold as CR presents the fabulous hofner blue notes. Especially as those hofner albums were never really given much of a chance as they were always in the shadows of the main stream music that was coming out from jazzee blue.

I would also say that the real problems started when Warner got involved. Big corporate machine which he needed and they were calling the shots. So i suppose it was all about money for the label and the quality of the music from the artist. How mny times do we see that.

I think the best concerts I ever saw were the Driving Home For Christmas mini tour at Wembley arena ( where I spoke to Max & Robert) and also the RTH 1989 at Shepton Mallett an old cattle shed at the Bath & West showground!! Great effects at that one!! They put on the smoke and someone had left the door open and it all went off the same way it came on!!

Anyway catch you soon.

James. (SB) :lol: :lol:
Nothing's happening by the sea!
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi S.B,
You bring up a lot points that its hard to know where to start.I think things went wrong somewhere along the way with Chris's latest album.Do you remember it was suppose to be released in December 2007 and it was cancelled.Looking back now I think most of us had our concert tickets bought by then.I wonder was it a case that Chris had no choice but to go ahead with a tour that no one knew what the new music was going to be like maybe because of fairly large ticket sales and people thought it's Chris Rea and since there was no mention of a new CD they just assumed it would be what they always got in the past.A bit strange don't you think.Exactly the opposite to what happened with R.T.H.I wonder if this was the reason for installing a T.V listing songs from The Delmonts. So maybe "fans" can be forgiven for the response we gave to it.No one knew what to expect and where as we his FANS the true ones that is waited to see what was coming and accepted it for what it is.
I now know The farewell Tour meant an end to the old Chris singing Road To Hell etc and to Chris Rea as an individual musician.To begin with I took it to mean that he was retiring completly from touring but after the concert I knew that was not going to happen (thankfully).In fairness, Chris has us all confused.He has stopped touring as an individual BUT he has not stopped his old songs.I think wheather Chris likes it or not he is still very much under the influences of big corporate machines.Who is responsable for this I do not know.I know he has his own label but I wonder are Warner looking for a piece of the pie cause they might see sense in what Chris says about the music industry been dead in the water so to speak.If they are willing to invest and give him money to do as Chris sees fit then they will want a BIG return hence the need for much larger venues and much larger numbers.I also wonder would it have been better for this now passed tour to be rescheduled until people had a better chance to listen to his new album.The Hofner Blue Notes are there but again I think its only the "die hard" fans that would know about it cause to us Chris is so much more Than Road To Hell as good as it was.
I would have loved to hear him sing Driving Home For Christmas and who knows the way things are going I just might still have a chance.I would have also loved to be a fly on the wall when Chris got his hands on the person who left that door open :)Lovely talking to you and hope to again soon
Tina :)