The man The voice The guitar

Chris in Harrogate - DISAPPOINTED !

davidgsmith
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Chris in Harrogate - DISAPPOINTED !

Post by davidgsmith »

Disappointed - but not with Chris Rea’s performance – more of that later. But disappointed with the apparent lack of enthusiasm in the audience. Maybe it’s just me but being a fan of Chris, I thought I would be surrounded by fellow fans, not the cast of the movie “Cocoon”.
I have seen Chris a few times now in England and would like to know from other fans and members of this board if they have found similar lacks of atmosphere at concerts in this country or anywhere else. Don’t get me wrong, clapping was abundant, in certain areas of the venue, but when Chris is on stage giving us his all and trying his very best to get us up on our feet to dance and the audience react like they are in some sort of hypnotic trance. No wonder at one stage I detected a look of despair on his rugged old face. I was on the second row and got out of my seat, on my own to dance (if you can call it that!!) in the hope that others might follow my lead. (To those sat directly behind me I humbly apologise) But to no avail, except for a couple of ladies to my right who got up during “Let’s Dance” (Some hope Chris!!!)
Please tell me if it’s just me or is this common with all of Chris’s shows now. I know the demographic age of the audience is generally older, but I can’t imagine the same response in mainland Europe.
Let’s start a discussion and maybe vote for your concert anywhere where you witnessed both the best and worst audience reaction and see who comes out on top. Please say which Tour, year, country etc….
I would be very interested in other comments.
As to the concert itself – He just gets better and better. Both his guitar playing and voice are on top form and I think he topped his performance at Newcastle, which I went to last Wednesday. He certainly looks a lot healthier and happier than 2 years ago and moves like he is enjoying himself. It’s a pity the same can’t be said for the audience.
“You ain’t never too old to dance” ? Welcome to Harrogate, Chris.

OK. Rant over. Thanks for reading this :)
Tina3
Support
Support

Re: Chris in Harrogate - DISAPPOINTED !

Post by Tina3 »

Hi David,
I think you have highlighted an issue that a lot of fans around here have commented on.I can't speak for other concerts but I was in Newcastle on the Tuesday night and all I can say is that "God Loves A Tryer".With the exception of one man on his own not one person got up to dance.At the start of Let's Dance I think Chris was fed up trying to get people moving cause he commented on it himself by saying that this song was played especially for "stayed audiences".This didn't even succeed in moving the audience cause one of Chris's crew came out from the back of the stage and physically using his hands asked the audience to get up.This they did but they didn't dance.I would like to think it was because they were in shock at the change in Chris :) and had nothing to do with age or anything but I am not sure.Why did I not get up cause at other concerts I have been told I had to remain seated. The best concert I was at was God's Great Banana Skin cause you could dance if you liked or stay seated.Needless to say I didn't sit all night. :) :) If they are dancing in Dublin on Wednesday so will I :)
Tina :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
davidgsmith
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by davidgsmith »

i was there, he was in the seat in front of me, good laugh he was. that was like me at Harrogate but without the drink !!! more embarrassment.....
Just wish British audieces were less reserved at concerts, I think its a cross between having seated venues and also the age of audience??
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi David,
You were there too!!! Wasn't that man just great the way he got up and sod everyone else.I wish I had had his courage drink or no drink :) You have to be commended if you did the same in Harrogate.I felt sorry for Chris cause he did everything he could to try and get people on their feet.Maybe he needs to change his venues to dance halls (can I still use that word) or venues with NO seating.I thought Chris's chat at the end of Let's Dance was hysterical about going to a "disco"I haven't heard that word used in years :) :) All I hear now is clubs ( I might be showing my age now ).Maybe at the next concert he will have more success.
davidgsmith
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by davidgsmith »

yes i was there, where were u sat? near the front? dance halls sounds great idea, especially with the new stuff like the Delmonts too
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi david,
I was in in the 6th row the 1st 2 seats.Great seats they were.Could see Chris right in front of me.He was close enough to get photographs without a flash.I got some fanastic ones or at least my daughter did.I was too busy watching the stage. :) I would love another CD of The Delmonts.I think they are just great.Well according to the tour programme they will be back in the Autumn.I wonder who Chris is referring to.We will just have to wait and see.I am going to see him again on Wednesday in Dublin.It will be interesting to see what way the Irish audience take him.
gjvg
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by gjvg »

Tina3 wrote: Wasn't that man just great the way he got up and sod everyone else.I wish I had had his courage drink or no drink :) ......Maybe he needs to change his venues to dance halls (can I still use that word) or venues with NO seating.Tina :)
NO seating, thats exectly why i like his gigs in Amsterdam or Rotterdam.
A big open arena with only standing places. Just enough room to do the same dance-movements as Chris does himself :D . You don't need courage then :lol:
But allways more movement then in a concert-hall, seats in a row and people only clapping at the end of a song :?
Müfo
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by Müfo »

Perhaps we should post in the guestbook of chrisrea.com that seating is an atmoshere- killer and that most of his real fans like to stand. Well, I am 30 and I understand that it is something different if you are 60. But chris in his age and with his health problems does even a straining performance. I saw him the first time when I was 15 on the GGBS- Tour in Saarbrücken, a perfekt- enthusiastic- atmosphere. On the farewell- tour I saw him in Luxemburg (seating- concert, lack of atmosphere) and a few days later in Offenbach (small club, standin- concert., fantastic- atmosphere). I think small clubs with a capacity of 500-1000 peaple is the setting where the new Rea works best. On the recent tour I went to the concerts in Esch (no atmospher) and in Antwerpen, where I was glad to be able to stand behind/ above the seating main crowd. Never could imagine that about 4000 people can be so silent?!
Reagards to you all and - as always- sorry for my bad english
Jan
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Müfo wrote:Perhaps we should post in the guestbook of chrisrea.com that seating is an atmoshere- killer and that most of his real fans like to stand.

Hi Everyone,
I think this is a great idea and I think the more posts we do on chrisrea.com the better.I have to be honest and say I much preferred Chris when I saw him on the Banana Skin Tour as you could dance if you wanted to without any problems.The last few concerts this option was not available and I doubt if Dublin tomorrow night will be any different.
Tina3 :)
davidgsmith
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by davidgsmith »

I totally agree too, That's why I apways prefer smaller intimate venues rather than the huge, Arenas like Sheffield, Newcastle, etc.... Great for making money for the artistes but not as much fun for the audience.
think we should start a new post for where is the best venue you have seen or would like to see Chris in future. I wonder if he, or anyone connected with him, reads this forum???
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

davidgsmith wrote:I wonder if he, or anyone connected with him, reads this forum???
Hi David,
I doubt it very much.I would hope Chris's new official site might have more contact with Chris but we have to wait and see.I wonder is it the size of the venue that is the problem or could the venue be big if it were arranged for an area for fans to dance if they so choose that way it won't turn fans off who do not want to dance no matter what Chris might like.
Chris Wastell
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Chris Wastell »

I feel your frustration. As what I think is probably one of the youngest Chris Rea fans out there (Ive been listening to Chris' music since I was 12 which is only a mere 5 years ago) I feel so frustrated at some of the crowds. The music is brilliant and the raw emotion is so moving. I started out listening to Stoney Road and have acquired everything from Whatever happened to Benny Santini to Hofner bluesnotes now. Including as many viynls as I can lay my hands on.

Chris' is a genius and Im gutted I havent got tickets to see him at Glastonbury. I've seen the guy in concert at every gig I could feasably get to since Blue Jukebox tour. Ive even travelled as far as Bornemouth ( I live in Bradford) and that was a journey done using 5 different trains, One thing is for certain I won't be giving up on his gigs seated or not as nothing compares to the live music. Standing would be nice though for sure.

P.s I hope this photographer Chris has got taken pictures gets some good ones because hes taken enough shots at the 2 gigs Ive been to, to create a 3d model of Chris that NASA would be proud of lol. I was tempted to grab his camera and show him how its done (photography student ranting lol)

P.p.s I think I saw you at the harrogate gig, were you just to the right in the middle block. If that was you, if you would have turned around to your left you would have seen me up on my feet.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Chris,
Haven't spoken to you in a while.I can see you are still mad into vinyl then :).Since you are a photography student I won't show you any of the photos I have from Newcastle,they would proberly make you cringe LOL.I could well understand your frustration at your age having to sit through a concert.It is great to see one so young so decicated to Chris.As for Glastonbury,I think that is a disaster for any Chris fan cause we found out way too late.One or two fans around here might be able to get it from T.V so if you are not there at least you might get a chance to see him.Maybe at your next Chris concert you could sneak a camera into it and give us all presents that we would love forever :lol:
Tina :) :)
Chris Wastell
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by Chris Wastell »

Please share away!! I do have some rather bad pictures myself as obviously Im restricted to what I can sneak in and not my usual SLR with the vast array of lenses. So my efforts of camera phones etc arent anything spectacular unfortunately tho I have to say that I never got any video footage on my swanky video camera which cunningly fits in a jacket pocket WINK WINK lol

At my age the sitting down is frustrating because as an avid fan I want to enjoy the music. I just cant describe how the music moves me. The man has so much emotion and soul its unbelievable. I do believe I would chew my right arm off to play guitar like Chris. One thing is for certain he has never got the recognition he deserves.

would be great to get some footage of glastanbury and if you hear on the news of a man being caught digging under the fences its most likely to be me :D lol.

The viynl does live on though not exclusively we have the CD's to go along with most of it now and to bring things to the 21st century its all on the iPod :D lol

Nice speaking to you it has been a while :)

p.s I did say my pictures wernt very goood. Camera phones wont cut it no matter how good your seats are :'(
In the autumn we may have to smuggle a better camera in ;)

http://www.bluehorizonhosting.com/images/edit.jpg
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi Chris W. and Tina, I just love reading your lively reviews, just wishing I were there at the tour :D
(soon enough though, maybe this fall).

Chris W., my regards to you, it's very refreshing to find such a young passionate Chris Rea fan, you've got really good taste in music :D

As for the dancing, well, comon' people...WAKE UP ALREADY !!! At least clap or something, even if your back hurts!

I know my husband and I would be dancing on top of our seats and not give a darn what anybody thought!
(Dancing and laughter are the best stress relievers, even during hard times.)

Tina, your pix are great, do share; I've tried to upload pix here before but couldn't do it unless I contacted Bart.

Cheers to all,

Lily B.