The man The voice The guitar

The Shadow Of a Fool

Peter S...
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

The Shadow Of a Fool

Post by Peter S... »

Hi,

One thing I should mention about last night concert in Glasgow, when Chris started to play The Shadow Of A Fool and the small screen that had listed titles of The Delmont numbers became alive again firstly with an image of Tony Blair then George W Bush, there was in my opinion a little chattering amongst the audience re the images.

A political point made by Chris and a one well made when you listen to lyrics.

The shadow of a fool
I hear the angels scream
they know the devil's out.
I sure don't know at all
what this is all about.
I need my true loves arm
I need my true loves kiss.
No matter whose side you're on
nobody needs all this.

And if there is a God
well, they've broken all his rules
and left us here fighting
for the shadow of a fool.

Now I'm trained to go
into the darkest night.
And in the name of the angels
stand for what is right.
But so much is wrong
in this hell of blood and fear
nobody knows no more
the reason we are here.

And if there is a God
well, they've broken all his rules
and left us here fighting
for the shadow of a fool.

Regards,

Peter S...
Between the eyes of love I call your name
Behind the guarded walls I used to go
Upon a summer wind there's a certain melody
Takes me back to the place that I know
Down on the beach
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Re: The Shadow Of a Fool

Post by Chris »

Now, I'm at home. I understand what he was driving at while in Minsk on February 29. He said there, at the press conference, that in Belorussia he will be playing a song dedicated to British soldiers fighting in Iraq, a country they know little about and don't even know why they're there in the first place...
So, Chris wanted to make a political statement during his concert as well. Interesting indeed.
Thank you for this information.
Chris
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

I support Chris Rea's anti-Iraq-war statement. The great majority of Americans want it to end now and bring our boys home. September 11 was a horrific attack on America, but we know the people of Iraq are not too blame. It makes no sense and we all know the only "freedom" Bush and his allies are fighting for now is a financial interest in Iraq's oil. I can only say our government's foreign policies are embarrassing, to say the least. (Don't get me started on domestic!) The media sold us patriotism in a flag and some of our soldiers took it out of context, now facing court martial.

There's a lot going on here now, I just pray to God he puts a wise man on our next presidential seat.

Chris' made another statement back in 92 with Nothing to Fear; right before the first attack on the World Trade Center in New York City.

Lily B.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

I would like to think of Tennis as Chris' first "statement" 28 years ago (I love that song, and this version of the video; his boyish ways still show through today):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=768gAExxGDc

Some people might regard it as not one of his best work, but I beg to differ; (did you ever pay attention to the cover of the LP?)

But in all fairness, this promotional video of Tennnis, (although of horrible quality):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYZkWfKsdVI

was a prelude and way ahead of Genesis' Land of Confusion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBdUz_IJ4VA

Any thoughts...?

Lily B.
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Well, now that I know I wasn't blocked from the site because of my anti-Iraq-war comments... :shock: ...

staying with the theme of Chris' The Shadow of a Fool, I would like to share and recommend this excellent documentary about "Bush's War", on Public Broadcasting Television, for those of you who really want to understand the truth behind it. (I know Chris Rea himself would love to watch this, it tells you exactly how Blair got the British involved).

Click on "Watch The Full Series Online" .then watch 1,2,3, etc. (they are in chronological order on purpose).

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/bushswar/

Lily B.
Last edited by lilybee on 27 May 2008, 05:22, edited 1 time in total.
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

I couldn't see the on stage monitor clear enough in Brighton but I guessed it was bush and blair especially when you listen to the lyrics. I read a quote a few years ago that Chris thought Blair was basically a good man, it sounds like he has changed his mind now.
Lily, at least you have the chance to vote soon, the trouble is polititions always get in....
Don't get me started on Blair.........

Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Thanks Kev,

Maybe someone will capture that screen on one of the ten concerts left?

Yes, I can vote, but the choices are grim...you know how politicians talk the talk, but don't walk the walk.

Lily B.
Last edited by lilybee on 29 Apr 2008, 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Lily,
The political statements were not made in Warsaw. I didn't see any messages nor pictures (neither George W. nor Tony) being flashed on the flat TV screen.
Chris' announcement in Minsk, when he mentioned that he will play a song dedicated to British soldiers who have found themselves in Iraq, had helped me understand the song in question. Otherwise, I wouldn't put two and two together.
Come to think of what Chris said then (on Feb. 29) about the soldiers who were in Iraq not even knowing where they have been sent to fight, I'd only like to add that soldiers everywhere (under 'normal' circumstances) have limited knowledge about the situation they are about to be involved in and this is being done on purpose. Had they known beforehand, they wouldn't have gone there in the first place!
The PBS documentary is very good.
An excellent journalistic work.
Thank you and take care,
Chris
chrismiller
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by chrismiller »

Hey everyone,

There weren't any pictures shown in Budapest either during the Hofner part, I, however, like the way Chris made his own statement. It's like being involved while not actually being involved, if you know what I mean. An example: When Bruce did his Devils & Dust Tour (an album written mostly about the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq) he began every gig with the sentence 'Bring 'em home'; he also did so in the Grammy's and MTV Music Awards'. And everyone knew what he was thinking about while he didn't say anything concrete. That's how it has to be done.

C.
You can waste a whole lifetime trying to be what you think that's expected of you
But you'll never be free.