Lyrics: "E", "Marvin"

Here you can discus Chris' lyrics
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Lyrics: "E", "Marvin"

Post by elangelo »

Hi all,
as I was listening to the "Road to Hell Part II" again, I wondered what this "E" means. Does anybody know for sure? I mean, it could be Extasy, E as a school note or Queen Elisabeth...
and next, does anybody know who Marvin is?
best,
Dmitry
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

Hi Dmitry
Marvin was a friend of Chris, if I'm not wrong he died beacause of cancer of other severe illness.
"E" is the great, awesome song!! My bet is that could mean "earth" but it's just my interpretation of the song.

Nice photos you got there.
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Zgred wrote:Hi Dmitry
Marvin was a friend of Chris, if I'm not wrong he died beacause of cancer of other severe illness.
"E" is the great, awesome song!! My bet is that could mean "earth" but it's just my interpretation of the song.

Nice photos you got there.
thanks :) not sure about the earth, I would say it doesn't really fit in there

i've already got a ticket, by the way! :)
The worst is gone....
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

'E' lyrics, a possible answer

Post by Chris »

Hi Dimitry, how are you doing out there in frosty Moscow?

I went through the text (lyrics) of "E" and I think that it could mean many things, just as Chris is singing...
The possible answer could be that he is, as you probably know, half Italian and "E" in Italian means a very common conjunction (con.) "and" (and this and that), as if to say "and what?", or "so what?"
Therefore, an "E" is indeed for anything: for comfort, peace, for good time, for a reason....
I think we ought to remember that in 1999, Chris went through a very difficult time. He was in between two (2) major surgeries. In and out of hospitals, with numerous doctor visits, worries and many questions, he could not find an easy answers to.
Just like they say: "tell me what's so wrong with E?"
Best to you from Poland,
Chris

'E'

E is for the comfort,
You give to me
E is for the peace, I feel inside
E is for the good times
That go against the bad times
E is for the world you gave us
And left us here behind

They say
Tell me what's so wrong with E
That's what I hear them say
Let's talk about it

E is for the reason
To live through urban grey
E is for the warm glow,
That takes the fear away

Show us what is better
Why don't you stand inside
these shoes
Oh live with me each Monday...
Let's see what you would do...

Which world do you live in?
Which world did you choose?
Hiding the tears, that's all
No win
No lose

They say
Let's talk about it

--------------
--------------

elangelo wrote:Hi all,
as I was listening to the "Road to Hell Part II" again, I wondered what this "E" means. Does anybody know for sure? I mean, it could be Extasy, E as a school note or Queen Elisabeth...
best,
Dmitry
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

furthermore......

Post by Chris »

Furthermore.....

That is unless, the 'E' in "the Road to Hell II" simply stands for Earth!
Or maybe Chris is using the "E" train reference, for the NYC (New York City) Subway (Underground) line? In the song immediately after the "E" he sings about the New York boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens, you know. So, perhaps the whole album is very much "Americanized" in suggestions and sub-texts?
Chris

--------------
--------------
Chris wrote:Hi Dimitry, how are you doing out there in frosty Moscow?

I went through the text (lyrics) of "E" and I think that it could mean many things, just as Chris is singing...
The possible answer could be that he is, as you probably know, half Italian and "E" in Italian means a very common conjunction (con.) "and" (and this and that), as if to say "and what?", or "so what?"
Therefore, an "E" is indeed for anything: for comfort, peace, for good time, for a reason....
I think we ought to remember that in 1999, Chris went through a very difficult time. He was in between two (2) major surgeries. In and out of hospitals, with numerous doctor visits, worries and many questions, he could not find an easy answers to.
Just like they say: "tell me what's so wrong with E?"
Best to you from Poland,
Chris

'E'

E is for the comfort,
You give to me
E is for the peace, I feel inside
E is for the good times
That go against the bad times
E is for the world you gave us
And left us here behind

They say
Let's talk about it

E is for the reason
To live through urban grey
E is for the warm glow,
That takes the fear away

Show us what is better
Why don't you stand inside
these shoes
Oh live with me each Monday...
Let's see what you would do...

Which world do you live in?
Which world did you choose?
Hiding the tears, that's all
No win
No lose

They say
Let's talk about it

--------------
--------------

best,
Dmitry
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Re: Lyrics: "E", "Marvin"

Post by Chris »

best,
Dmitry
----------
----------

I just read this article in "The Daily Mirror" from Nov. 16, 1999, and I think that you can find there an answer to your question regrading "E", what it means, etc.

Kindly take a look...http://zeldor1.chat.ru/dmirror16nov99.JPG

It was posted by someone from Russia and placed in the "photo" section of this forum.

Best regards,
Chris

Post by Guest »

Chris wrote:
best,
Dmitry
----------
----------

I just read this article in "The Daily Mirror" from Nov. 16, 1999, and I think that you can find there an answer to your question regrading "E", what it means, etc.

It was posted by someone from Russia and placed in the "photo" section of this forum.

Best regards,
Chris
Thanks, Chris!
Well, I guess, I was right, it's Ecstasy...
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Chris wrote:
best,
Dmitry
----------
----------

Best regards,
Chris
Thanks, Chris!
Well, I guess, I was right, it's Ecstasy...
The worst is gone....
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Chris wrote "E"....

Post by Chris »

best,
Dmitry
=============

...after a session round the kitchen table with his daughter's schoolmates....as a concern parent, he discussed the issue of drugs (in general) with these youngsters (well, "young people", ready to enter the real life, to be politically correct!), and surprisingly, these young people were more open with Chris than with their parents!
That's why he keeps on repeating in the song: "what's so wrong with "E", let's talk about it, let's talk about it..."
I'm glad I learned the real reasons why he wrote this particualr song.
Thank you Dmitry for bringing this issue up for a discussion...
All the best to you in Moscow,
Chris
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Re: Chris wrote "E"....

Post by elangelo »

Chris wrote:
best,
Dmitry
=============

...after a session round the kitchen table with his daughter's schoolmates....as a concern parent, he discussed the issue of drugs (in general) with these youngsters (well, "young people", ready to enter the real life, to be politically correct!), and surprisingly, these young people were more open with Chris than with their parents!
That's why he keeps on repeating in the song: "what's so wrong with "E", let's talk about it, let's talk about it..."
I'm glad I learned the real reasons why he wrote this particualr song.
Thank you Dmitry for bringing this issue up for a discussion...
All the best to you in Moscow,
Chris
Thanks to you to for that interview! We found the answer together man :) :idea:
The worst is gone....
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

Well, well. So it's about Ecstasy drug, I must admit that I was wrong and this song need to be interpretated this way. I felt it was rather positive-meaning song but now I see it's not that simple, so I was wondering what's up with "let's talk about it" or "no win, no lose" but now this is clear.

Maybe using this stuff would give me the understanding earlier but somehow I don't miss this ;)
Therefore even more respect for Chris (is it possible? :D) and thanks guys for serious working on Man's lyrics.
dmytrobryushkov
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by dmytrobryushkov »

I agree with everyone, E- it is the one of the most enigmatic songs of Chris Rea. A year and half ago, when I translated this song to Russian, I had to do deep research about meaning of this song. Finally, I decided, that E- is the third note (in English), in Slavic languages it is commonly called Mi (Ми in Russian). To prove my opinion, it is enough to tell, that Chris Rea- is the very romantic songwriter, and very different from other rock musician. It majority of rockers cannot live without of Ecstasy drugs (or other drugs, affecting mental judgement), I am sure, it is not related to Chris Rea at all. This great master is above drugs and I am sure, never even touched them!
dmytrobryushkov
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by dmytrobryushkov »

To help Russian and other Slavic language speakers to understand complete sense of the song E, I would like to show Russian version of this famous song (if site administration allows me to do it). If not, please, you have my consent to remove this poster, as inappropriate:

E Chris Rea (Russian version- by Dmytro Bryushkov)
Нота Ми

Ноту ми- для комфорта ты исполнишь мне.
Ноту ми- для покоя в душевной глубине.
Ми- для лучших времён- что плохое время сменят,
И оставят позади нас, целый мир изменят...

Припев:
Я спрошу-
- Скажите - что случилось с ми?
Я спросил у них,
- Скажите - что случилось с ми?
Я спросил у них
Вы расскажите мне.

Ми- есть причина жить в серых городах,
И для мягкого света, что развевает страх.
Подскажет то, что лучше- как просто стать другим,
Будь каждый понедельник со мною лишь одним…

Припев (х 2)

В чьём мире живёшь ты?
Что выбрала ты?
И слёзы ты прячешь среди пустоты-
Ни да, ни нет… (последняя строка х 2)

Припев (х 2).

(15 Августа 2010)

Edit webmaster: Normally this forum is English only (see also rule 1.5), but for now this post is fine by me.