The man The voice The guitar

A bit of disappointment

andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

A bit of disappointment

Post by andrew fischer »

Hello everybody!

I know I’m a bit late writing about it, but believe me it’s not my fault.
Yesterday I’ve finally got a single CD and double DVD “The Road to Hell and Back”

I started from the CD as well. What a crazy fantastic soul-tearing memory!…
Chris was at his best of the best without a doubt.

But after what I wrote below someone will think I’m too capricious and critical.
I was a bit disappointed with the work of sond masters, sound produsers and others who was looking after recording, remastering, selecting and compiling the tracks for this album.

First. The single CD contains only 2 songs from “Blue Guitars”. But the running time for whole album is 68 minutes instead of available 80! They could have put at least 2 more songs, for example, brilliant played “Head Out on a Highway” and “Till the Morning Sun Shines on My Love and Me”. Not everyone can get the DeLuxe edition, but sure most fans would buy it even if it had just a 2-3 tracks more than ordinary version.

Second. Again time running mentioned on the cover is completely wrong. It makes me suspicious.

Third. When Chris is playing solo on his Italia Blue Sparkle on “Stony Road” and “Somewhere between the Highway 61 & 49” there are some permanent noises.

Fourth. I remember that on most gigs Chris played wonderful reggae version of “On the Beach” for at least 8-9 minutes. On the CD it is strangely cut down to a bit more than minutes. The same time an inexpressive, in my opinion, version of “Stainsby Girls” is extended to 8,5 minutes. Why?

Fifth. On “Fool” tired Chris sings first strophes out of tune. You’ll say doesn’t matter, and I’ll agree. But you know that many gigs were recorded and there were chosen the bets variants of playing each song. Why couldn’t they find a clear-sung variant of this wonderful song – I don’t know. I only know someone was deciding what would we listen to, but that was not Chris – we all know he never listens to his music. That’s why I suppose we could have more soulful and expressive “Road to Hell” and “I Can Hear Your Heartbeat” on this live album.

Last but not least. On the DVD cover they wrote with small letters just “Till the Morning” instead of the full title. The width of the box was enough… A trifle, but unpleasant.

Everything else is quite great.

Well, now you can say we’ve got what we’ve got, you can’t change anything, there’s no sense to show the minor. You’ll be right. But it doesn’t become less sad and disappointing. A spoonful of tar in a tank of honey would always bother you anyway.

I’m sure someone will disagree with me, another one will just pass it by and take it easy. I can’t take it easy. Someone said Chris is a perfectionist. That’s why it’s strange to feel it like this. I suppose myself being a perfectionist too, and this is the reason why I care so much on this occasion.

I would be glad to read other’s opinions and impressions. Thank you all beforehands.

Best regards,
&ru
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Re: A bit of disappointment

Post by Chris »

[/quote]

I’m sure someone will disagree with me, another one will just pass it by and take it easy. I can’t take it easy. Someone said Chris is a perfectionist. That’s why it’s strange to feel it like this. I suppose myself being a perfectionist too, and this is the reason why I care so much on this occasion.

I would be glad to read other’s opinions and impressions. Thank you all beforehands.

Best regards,
&ru[/quote]

-----------

Hello Andrew,

First of all, a quote from Chris Rea's interview from "the Sun" (Nov. 2, 2006), to which Jutta provided us all with a link to read (thank you Jutta!)

(quote)

Q. (put to Chris) It's the first live album you've ever released - has it always been a conscious decision not to release one?

It is the first in 25 years.

A. (Chris) Yes, there was a deal struck over this record - that my sound engineer on tours would mix the album and I would never have to listen to it once.

I still haven't heard it because I hate hearing myself, I really do. I just don't like the sound of myself. And the more other people like certain songs the more I hate them.

I said as long as I don't have to watch the documentary and as long as I don't have to watch the live gig, I trust the people who've done it implicitly.

There's not one Chris Rea record in my house - there never has been and there never will be. The joy and the immense joy is the making the music. Listening to it - oh no, that's horrendous.

(end of quote)

As you can see, it was not Chris who picked the recordings or worked with them in any way. It was "a part of a deal" - he said - to have the 'live', first-ever CD and DVD from this tour issued.
And the people responsible for the job, probably have done the best they could; I'm sure of this. I don't think we are dealing here with a case of a sloppy job.
Chris is a perfectionist, therefore we can argue why he refuses to listen to his recordings. I mean, to the final product. I've noticed, on one of the DVDs, that in the studio he worked on a specific sound untill he was completely satisfied....
Perhaps there were no other ("better") 'live' recordings available? You know, the sound technician also has his limitations.
Obviously, I (and apparently everone of us) would love to have longer versions of all songs, but I'm satisfied with what I was able to puchase.
Take care,
Chris
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

I agree, Chris. I mean, it's just no use to complain about the quality. I really think that the people know what they do. Of course, one can feel something as if everybody was in a hurry - like wrong track times, I think I wouldn't be so hard to check them. But let's really take it easy. If you don't take THIS easy, how would you be able to live, man?
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

elangelo wrote:I agree, Chris. I mean, it's just no use to complain about the quality. I really think that the people know what they do. Of course, one can feel something as if everybody was in a hurry - like wrong track times, I think I wouldn't be so hard to check them. But let's really take it easy. If you don't take THIS easy, how would you be able to live, man?
Hi Chris, Hi Elangelo. Thank you both.
Obviously, I was ready to read what you wrote. That's right. Of course, I'll try to take it easy 'coz there's no other way. Maybe here I was a bit naive to wait from this one and only Chris's official live record the same excellence as I felt being on the gig... but here I am and I can't change it entirely, and that cannot do anyone of you.

The same as you all I will just enjoy.

Best regards
&ru
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

andrew fischer wrote:
elangelo wrote:I agree, Chris. I mean, it's just no use to complain about the quality. I really think that the people know what they do. Of course, one can feel something as if everybody was in a hurry - like wrong track times, I think I wouldn't be so hard to check them. But let's really take it easy. If you don't take THIS easy, how would you be able to live, man?
Obviously, I was ready to read what you wrote. That's right. Of course, I'll try to take it easy 'coz there's no other way. Maybe here I was a bit naive to wait from this one and only Chris's official live record the same excellence as I felt being on the gig... but here I am and I can't change it entirely, and that cannot do anyone of you.

Best regards
&ru
Hi Everyone
I wish I could comment on the DVD but I can't as I still don't have it.The realise date has been put back a week.Andrew you were correct about the sounds you can hear on the CD.Simon Honywill refers to them in the booklet that came with the CD.I like the CD as it stands and I even like when Chris sings out of key on Fool.It's nice to see perfectionist making things less than perfect.
Kind Regards
Tina3
Pick up the pieces and start again.
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Tina3 wrote:
andrew fischer wrote:

Best regards
&ru
Hi Everyone
I wish I could comment on the DVD but I can't as I still don't have it.The realise date has been put back a week.Andrew you were correct about the sounds you can hear on the CD.Simon Honywill refers to them in the booklet that came with the CD.I like the CD as it stands and I even like when Chris sings out of key on Fool.It's nice to see perfectionist making things less than perfect.
Kind Regards
Tina3
Yeah, that 'tired' sound really is charming to me!
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

elangelo wrote:
Tina3 wrote:
andrew fischer wrote: Hi Chris, Hi Elangelo. Thank you both.

Best regards
&ru
Hi Everyone
Kind Regards
Tina3
--------------

Hi everyone,

I pick my "reserved" double DVD today (Friday, November 3.) I bought it in Warsaw in a regular music store. But the price was rather steep, I must say. Instead of 20,00 Euro, like on German or British Amazon, I've paid over 30,00 Euro (130,00 zloty.) Well, my birthday is just around the corner and my wife said it would be my present. Sorry to hear that you Tina (and others) have not picked your copies yet!
Now to the sound and technical "problems" on both CDs and DVDs. I think that the hiss and some background noise are only "authenticating" these live recordings. They don't bother me a bit.
And yes, Chris is singing out of tune on "Fool", visibly tired (on DVD), thus: he is also "real", hard at work, on tour, for all of us to enjoy.
I wanted to have the 'live' recordings from the BBC studio (Bob Harris's show), because Chris was also very tired when he sang there, but the "file" had 50MB! At one moment on this show, Chris was out of breath all together, breathing heavily into the microphone....
Have a nice weekend everyone,
Chris
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Chris wrote:
elangelo wrote:
Tina3 wrote: Hi Everyone
Kind Regards
Tina3
--------------

Hi everyone,

I pick my "reserved" double DVD today (Friday, November 3.) I bought it in Warsaw in a regular music store. But the price was rather steep, I must say. Instead of 20,00 Euro, like on German or British Amazon, I've paid over 30,00 Euro (130,00 zloty.) Well, my birthday is just around the corner and my wife said it would be my present. Sorry to hear that you Tina (and others) have not picked your copies yet!
Now to the sound and technical "problems" on both CDs and DVDs. I think that the hiss and some background noise are only "authenticating" these live recordings. They don't bother me a bit.
And yes, Chris is singing out of tune on "Fool", visibly tired (on DVD), thus: he is also "real", hard at work, on tour, for all of us to enjoy.
I wanted to have the 'live' recordings from the BBC studio (Bob Harris's show), because Chris was also very tired when he sang there, but the "file" had 50MB! At one moment on this show, Chris was out of breath all together, breathing heavily into the microphone....
Have a nice weekend everyone,
Chris
Hi Chris,
Nice to talk to you again.Thankyou for your thoughts.You got a lovely birthday present.I will just have to wait and see when the DVD becomes available.I wish they would not issue realise dates for CD's and such like and then not deliver.It is just so frustrating .Well at least I still have it to look forward to.I like the background noise and sounds and yes it goes to show that they truely are live and not just made to sound live.`When you think about it by the time Chris got to singing Fool he had been singing for over an hour.It goes to show what a brillent musician he is when he is tired and he can still sing with only a few words out of key. Enjoy your weekend Chris and the DVD.
Kind Regards
Tina3
mark hughes
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by mark hughes »

I ordered my copy of the DVD today. £11.99 online with HMV. Mon 13th is now the expected release date so not long to go now hopefully.
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Post by Jutta »

On the concert of 1984, you can listen to the French Fanpage, Chris is also singing the last verse of "I can hear your heartbeat" as you can hear it on his new version. I thought it was a new verse ...
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

mark hughes wrote:I ordered my copy of the DVD today. £11.99 online with HMV. Mon 13th is now the expected release date so not long to go now hopefully.
Hi Mark
I hope so but I'm not getting my hopes up.If that is now the correct date I should be able to get it in Dublin tomorrow Friday.Our week over here for new realises is Friday to Thursday so I hope so. :)
Regards
Tina
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Jutta wrote:On the concert of 1984, you can listen to the French Fanpage, Chris is also singing the last verse of "I can hear your heartbeat" as you can hear it on his new version. I thought it was a new verse ...
Hi Jutta,
Nice to talk to you again.I was wondering could you post a link as I can't speak french.Have you any idea which tour it came? As a matter of interest did you get DVD yet.?
Regards
Tina :)
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Post by Jutta »

Tina3 wrote:
Jutta wrote:On the concert of 1984, you can listen to the French Fanpage, Chris is also singing the last verse of "I can hear your heartbeat" as you can hear it on his new version. I thought it was a new verse ...
Hi Jutta,
Nice to talk to you again.I was wondering could you post a link as I can't speak french.Have you any idea which tour it came? As a matter of interest did you get DVD yet.?
Regards

Hello Tina,
how are you? I don´t know when the DVD will be released in Germany. I am impatient too, but I even don´t have the time to see to it (too much work).
The link of the French site is there (actually it´s a link of a link): http://paco49.chez-alice.fr/mediajukebox.htm
Bye for now! (I may have time in a few weeks. Then I will be a better Chris Rea-fan!)

Jutta
mark hughes
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by mark hughes »

Jutta wrote:
Tina3 wrote:
Hi Jutta,
Regards

Hello Tina,
how are you? I don´t know when the DVD will be released in Germany. I am impatient too, but I even don´t have the time to see to it (too much work).
The link of the French site is there (actually it´s a link of a link): http://paco49.chez-alice.fr/mediajukebox.htm
Bye for now! (I may have time in a few weeks. Then I will be a better Chris Rea-fan!)

Jutta

Another great link Jutta :D I'm listening to the audio concert on there from 1984 fantastic music from Wired to the Moon, Watermark and others of that era.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Jutta wrote:
Tina3 wrote:
Hi Jutta,
Regards

Hello Tina,

Jutta
Hi Jutta,How are you.?Nice to talk to you again.Thankyou for the link.I have finally managed to get a copy of the DVD and it was well worth the wait.I had some trouble getting it as the popular music stores didn't have it and they were totally indifferent to my quiry as to when they would have it in stock.I managed to get it from another store who kindly held me a copy which was a bit of luck as they only had 2 copies in stock.The other copy was bought while the sales assistant was looking for mind.The girl told me they had problems even securing the 2 they had so maybe it's going to be popular.I have no doubt you are as much a fan of Chris as any other 1 of us.I hope you get a copy soon it will be worth it.Talk to you soon
Kind Regards