songs you would like to hear on the next tour

Here you can read the latest tour news and reviews
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

songs you would like to hear on the next tour

Post by tobi777 »

Hi all,

as we all know by now Chris will be going on tour this autumn and after so many years of repetitive and rather uninspired setlists I have the feeling it might be different this time.

There must be a lot of songs You want to hear - maybe songs that never have been performed live before - and I'd like to know which ones.

My list would be:

- Windy Town
- Ace Of Hearts
- It's All Gone
- Steel River
- Soft Top, Hard Shoulder
- Nothing To Fear
- Set Me Free
- Daytona
- Looking For A Rainbow
- Texas ('89)
- I Can Hear Your Heartbeat
- Working On It
- Winning
- Seabird
- Wired To The Moon
- All Summer Long ('85)
- Two Roads
- Gone Fishing
- Too Much Pride
- Johnny Needs A Fast Car

Cheers
Tobi
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: songs you would like to hear on the next tour

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi again MRB,

from all of your list, only Johnny Needs a Fast Car is reported to be never performed live, though in its official video you can see snippets from Espresso Tour stage...

I presume certain songs may be added if Max Middleton joins the band, like it was in 2012, when It's All Gone with his remarkable solo was added, and also Soft Top Hard Shulder live version was rumored to be added instead (they sound pretty similar on stage and both feature Fender Rhodes solos).

I don't believe Chris may add the upbeat rocky old songs like Winning or Working on It to the set, but who knows... Ballads like Ace of Hearts, Seabird or Wired to the Moon are more probable, though the last two ones are too rare for a live performance... Also the old road-themed songs like Daytona or Texas may be added.

My guess on the set of, say, 14-16 songs is as follows:

4-6 new album's songs
2-3 blues songs (most likely Easy Rider, Stony Road, Where the Blues Come From)
4-5 regularly played old songs (most likely RTH, OTB, Josephine, Let's Dance, Julia or Summer)
2-3 'new' old hit songs (The Blue Cafe, Nothing to Fear, Soft Top)
Maybe 1 'surprise', like a cover song or a non-hit old song.
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

I have my tickets. I hope he plays something of King Of The Beach Album. Those are rare and I like it very much.
Otherwise we will see.
You're never to old to dance!
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:I have my tickets. I hope he plays something of King Of The Beach Album. Those are rare and I like it very much. Otherwise we will see.
Hi Anneke, I really doubt Chris will ever play KotB songs as he did not do that back then in 2001, maybe only in a completely new way like he did with The Last Open Road (1999/2011).

Strange that St. Petersburg tickets are still not on sale, though synchronous ticket sales start was expected this morning and the prompt announcement said that as well... Lucky you all those who already got tickets!
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

That is a real bummer Andrey, not being able to get to the tickets yet.
Many sold in the UK yesterday, in a presale. But I could buy them at 10 am here.
Some KOTB are well playable as bluesy songs or a lovesong :)
I'm really curious why this album has also a "Road" name in it.
He has so many songs with Roads. You could make a theme out of it.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi again Anneke,

thanks for your care, but it is okay, tickets on sale now for St. Pete as well, 'usual' (over) pricing, maybe a bit higher than in 2012 (front rows center ca. 300 EUR), but I have long since been accustomed to it all and give no [EDIT: Please don't use this word]. Most likely will buy tickets much later from someone reselling them cheaper for personal reasons.

Yes, King of the Beach has some tunes quite suitable to be played live, e.g. Waiting for a Blue Sky, maybe in a bit altered versions but I still highly doubt Chris would play any old stuff never played live before.

For the album's 'concept' MRB has already given a good clue, recalling a relatively recent interview on new projects.

best wishes
Andrey
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Wow that is a lot! Is Russia always that expensive in anything? Or is it because "it is" from abroad?
And I guess you mean Tobi in this conversation...?
I hope he wil do some promoting and will hear singles.

Best wishes!
Anneke
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Yeah, it was me. The interview remark and the setlist in the first post :D
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:Wow that is a lot! Is Russia always that expensive in anything? Or is it because "it is" from abroad?
In concert tickets pricing for foreign artists - always, other foreign things now maybe not so much. They know people will come anyway having no real alternative (not so many travel abroad for gigs), especially with artists who are really popular here like Chris (but his concerts pricing here is not the highest).
ann268 wrote:And I guess you mean Tobi in this conversation...?
tobi777 wrote:Yeah, it was me. The interview remark and the setlist in the first post
Sorry, mixed up a bit, though there are not so many people talking here, to say the least... To be honest, I do not recall the exact interview he talked about it, but yes, he mentioned something like this, I remember. So I would rather agree with you on that assumption.
ann268 wrote:I hope he wil do some promoting and will hear singles.
On the official site they say Road Ahead is the 1st single off the album, but no mention of its release date. Early September, I guess. http://www.chrisrea.com/about/
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

So far any news came from Radio 2 BBC, the Social Media are functioning well and let us know when a first single will be released. I read that in the About part on his site. It's all much more professional. So much different from the other years. Though I can't find any information on management.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:The Social Media are functioning well and let us know when a first single will be released. I read that in the About part on his site. It's all much more professional.
Yes, and it's definitely thanks to BMG. However, if social media are run by the new management already, it is strange they make many dulll things mistakes there, compared to the new off. site which is very simple but neat and seems all true and run by a person well aware of what to do.
ann268 wrote:So far any news came from Radio 2 BBC
Which news do you mean? About the album and tour which we already now? Or something else?
ann268 wrote:I can't find any information on management.
Me too, no matter how hard I try. I wrote to Jim Beach again hoping he could help. But he usually replies quick and now he didn't.

best wishes
Andrey
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

If a new Tour or Album was presented, Chris did his most announces through Radio 2 on the BBC. Not much promotion, but with every media used (not all exiting I know) we can expect him to inform us if he will do a radioshow, like Jools Holland, or any other.
Who's Jim Beach? Can't remember that name?
Anneke
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:If a new Tour or Album was presented, Chris did his most announces through Radio 2 on the BBC. Not much promotion, but with every media used (not all exiting I know) we can expect him to inform us if he will do a radioshow, like Jools Holland, or any other.
Thanks, now clearer, I really hope Chris will announce a radio appearance soon so we get more info on the new project.
ann268 wrote:Who's Jim Beach? Can't remember that name?
Chris's main manager after John McCoy and before John Knowles, from 1979 until 1999 (together with Paul Lilly at times), ex-'Real Life Ltd', now Queen Productions: https://www.discogs.com/artist/1570879-Jim-Beach-2
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hi Andrey,
After some googling I found a Richard de la Font Angency.
See this link:
http://www.delafont.com/music_acts/chris-rea.htm

Best wishes,
Anneke
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:Hi Andrey,
After some googling I found a Richard de la Font Angency.
See this link: http://www.delafont.com/music_acts/chris-rea.htm
Best wishes,
Anneke
Hi Anneke,
Thanks a lot, but it has nothing to do with actual CR management, it just suggest you booking a star for a corporate event or private celebration, and if you ask they (act as if) are trying to contact an artist's management. We have such agencies in Russia as well, they even give approx. prices to invite a certain star for an evening, hilarious! I recall CR price was about 200,000€ per night)))

Take care
Andrey