The man The voice The guitar

Motown

Jutta
Translator
Translator

Motown

Post by Jutta »

Hi!

I have a question concerning the Gospel & Motown-album. Does anybody know by chance other Motown-artists besides Gil Scott Heron and Donny Hathaway, of which the album is based on, and where I can get this music from? I´ve heard an interview with Chris Rea (on BBC? ... from 2004?) and he mentioned several names there emphasizing it wasn´t Pop-Motown but the sort of Motown he listened to, when he was young. I couldn´t understand their names, because he mumbled so much.

Songs like "Clarkson Blues" and "Ain´t that just..." from the 60´s/70`s-album make me curious of Chris` "idols" as well. Has anybody an idea, who they are and where I can find this kind of music? "Got to be moving" sounds a bit like the Kinks, don´t you think? But I´m not sure, if that was intentional.

Thanks for a reply!
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Re: Motown

Post by Chris »

Jutta wrote:Hi!

I have a question concerning the Gospel & Motown-album. Does anybody know by chance other Motown-artists besides Gil Scott Heron and Donny Hathaway, of which the album is based on, and where I can get this music from? I´ve heard an interview with Chris Rea (on BBC? ... from 2004?) and he mentioned several names there emphasizing it wasn´t Pop-Motown but the sort of Motown he listened to, when he was young. I couldn´t understand their names, because he mumbled so much.

Songs like "Clarkson Blues" and "Ain´t that just..." from the 60´s/70`s-album make me curious of Chris` "idols" as well. Has anybody an idea, who they are and where I can find this kind of music? "Got to be moving" sounds a bit like the Kinks, don´t you think? But I´m not sure, if that was intentional.

Thanks for a reply!

---------

Hello Jutta, how are you doing,

In case you've missed it, someone from Switzerland ("deep-blue-sea") had placed this lint to an article with the favorite Chris Rea's records (CDs.)
I hope this could help you identify the Motown sound...

http://www.paulcaseymusic.com/article.jpg

Take care,
Chris
deep-blue-sea
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by deep-blue-sea »

I guess it wouldn't help her to find Chris Motown roots.... it is just blues Cd's and Miles Davis (Jazz ) on the list, any motown Cd's on there.
Motown was very popular on the end of 60' and beginning 70', just on this time where Chris start to play Guitar, so it's was really an inluence of his music beside Joe Walsh, Ry Cooder, Blind Willie Jefferson, Charlie Patton......
I don't know much about Motown Musician because it was not my time....
Bye and screw you and your deep-blue-sea.
Beat

Chris wrote:

Thanks for a reply!

---------

Hi Jutta,

Someone from Switzerland ("deep blue see") had placed this lint to the favorite Chris Rea's records (CDs.)
I hope this could hepl you identify the Motown sound...

Take care,
Chris
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

deep-blue-sea wrote:I guess it wouldn't help her to find Chris Motown roots.... it is just blues Cd's and Miles Davis (Jazz ) on the list, any motown Cd's on there.
Motown was very popular on the end of 60' and beginning 70', just on this time where Chris start to play Guitar, so it's was really an inluence of his music beside Joe Walsh, Ry Cooder, Blind Willie Jefferson, Charlie Patton......
I don't know much about Motown Musician because it was not my time....
Bye and screw you and your deep-blue-sea.
Beat

Chris wrote:

Thanks for a reply!

---------

Hi Jutta,

Someone from Switzerland ("deep blue see") had placed this lint to the favorite Chris Rea's records (CDs.)
I hope this could hepl you identify the Motown sound...

Take care,
Chris
-----------------
-----------------

Yes, you are absolutely right, the "Motown sound" is something one would have derive from the Tamla Motown Records --- "Tamla" from Debbie Reynolds hit movie 'Tammy' and "Motown" from "Motor Town" --- get the grip of it, so to speak, from all artists who recorded there, but the general idea is there, in these blues recording as well.
I just pointed out to Jutta that there is this CDs list, submitted by you.
I didn't want to claim the scoop on it, you know.
And furthermore, I myself like to get to the bottom of many things, a subject, a topic, a source, so I understand the reasons why Jutta is searching for answers.
I hope she will find them one day.
Take care,
Chris
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Post by Jutta »

Hello!
Oh, sorry for my being late. I did´t notice at first, that someone has answered my question.
Thank you very much for the link. I´s a great help, though it´s not about Motown-records. But I also like the Country-Blues (actually I like all of the albums and can´t get enough of them).
You´re right, Chris, I have 1000 questions concerning the Blue Guitars-album and the artwork as well. It´s a pity, that there`s no way to ask Chris Rea in person.