The man The voice The guitar

review Blue Guitars

blueskev

Have you noticed?

Post by blueskev »

I have only listened to the first CD (taking my time...) It's interesting to hear little bits of other songs in there. Just a few notes here and there, "ghosts" of the old Chris Rea !!? Just goes to show that the blues were always there just below the surface...
Kev.
leila.wilson
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Re: Have you noticed?

Post by leila.wilson »

blueskev wrote:I have only listened to the first CD (taking my time...) It's interesting to hear little bits of other songs in there. Just a few notes here and there, "ghosts" of the old Chris Rea !!? Just goes to show that the blues were always there just below the surface...
Kev.
Have you tried Celtic Blues yet Kev? Nothing to Fear is right there in the first track and it is beautiful! Yes, you,re right! the blues have always been there. Colb has found many similar examples. Actually, at first I was a bit surprised, but after listening a lot more, I think it is very much in keeping with this album being the culmination of his work throughout the years. Hard to put into words but this album has it all from the very first recording he made. What do you feel ? :)

Leila
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

leila.wilson wrote:
blueskev wrote:I have only listened to the first CD (taking my time...) It's interesting to hear little bits of other songs in there. Just a few notes here and there, "ghosts" of the old Chris Rea !!? Just goes to show that the blues were always there just below the surface...
Kev.
Have you tried Celtic Blues yet Kev? Nothing to Fear is right there in the first track and it is beautiful! Yes, you,re right! the blues have always been there. Colb has found many similar examples. Actually, at first I was a bit surprised, but after listening a lot more, I think it is very much in keeping with this album being the culmination of his work throughout the years. Hard to put into words but this album has it all from the very first recording he made. What do you feel ? :)

Leila
I'm listening to cd2 while typing this; at this rate it is going to take me months to listen to it all! I need a few months off work but don't think the boss would understand... :D
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

blueskev wrote: I'm listening to cd2 while typing this; at this rate it is going to take me months to listen to it all! I need a few months off work but don't think the boss would understand... :D
Well, you shouldn´t work in place where´s no understanding for music of Chris :D
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Post by Zgred »

Mr_Blues wrote:Well, you shouldn´t work in place where´s no understanding for music of Chris :D
:lol: =D> =D> ;)

Did I already tell that my boss is also Chris' fan? And he's probably more time than me in knowing his music, but he does not understand English instead. I think it's a bit strange to say like that. Or at least it's a loss. Heck of a lot of loss :D
I can understand liking guitarists and instrumentalists, but hey, reading a song of the Man is like one month in Shaolin ;):D
blueskev

CD 04 Memphis Blues

Post by blueskev »

This is my favourite so far, every song is superb. Also it isn't quite as 'dark' as the first two. Been listening to it in the car on my journey to work. Got to find a longer route...... :D :D
Kev.
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Paul simon - Songs from the capeman

Post by Bart »

Hello;

Just started listening to cd 10 and I have heard 3 tracks so far, but I noticed something. These tracks are VERY MUCH alike with the CD "songs from the capeman" of Paul Simon ... Does anybody know that CD (beautifull cd by the way!) and thinks the same about it ??

REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Re: Paul simon - Songs from the capeman

Post by Bart »

Back again ...

Listening to track 7 Sometimes (cd10) I heard a very short piece of "auf immer und ewig" in it ... has anyone else noticed ...
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
Zgred
REAddict
REAddict

Re: CD 04 Memphis Blues

Post by Zgred »

blueskev wrote:Been listening to it in the car on my journey to work. Got to find a longer route...... :D :D
Kev.
Drive at 1st gear only.......:D
marcolino
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Re: Paul simon - Songs from the capeman

Post by marcolino »

Bart wrote:Hello;

Just started listening to cd 10 and I have heard 3 tracks so far, but I noticed something. These tracks are VERY MUCH alike with the CD "songs from the capeman" of Paul Simon ... Does anybody know that CD (beautifull cd by the way!) and thinks the same about it ??

Yes, mood, flavour, and some chords recalls very much Paul Simon's CD (great CD, no doubt, I'm such a fan of Simon & Garfunkel, both together and as soloists), but consider the Caribbean sounds and instruments used in both works, so it's natural they resemble each other.

Auf Immer und Ewig ... How much I was impressed by that song when I heard it for the first time; soon became one of my favourites of that album, and I've listened to that track so many time that I thought the cd would have worn out. CD 10 recalls me the whole On THe Beach very much.
Marcolino
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by 1981 »

Good news, 'Blue Guitars' entered the Dutch album charts at #29!!!!!!!
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Daniel Raedts wrote:Good news, 'Blue Guitars' entered the Dutch album charts at #29!!!!!!!
Wow, that´s a great chart position for a 12-disc box with price around 55 - 60 euros :D Hope it would happen in every country.
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
Square Peg
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

3 years of music WOW!

Post by Square Peg »

I got Blue Guitars a few months ago and decided to get into each CD one at a time, So I've only heard the first CD and I was pleasantly surprized. Great stuff. My favorites are Sweet Sunday, West Africa/Cry To Home, Work Gang, Praise the Lord, Where The Blues Came from and The King Who Sold His Own.

Ive been playing this album in my car for a few months now and i'm still not sick of it, but beginning to get curious about the 2nd CD. With good music hard to find these days its cool to have be able to have a new Chris rea album whenever I decide to have one. Great stuff so far.........Jim
And Me, I'm always looking down that road out of town.
Stewart

Blue Guitars

Post by Stewart »

This is one of the most stunning bodies of work that has emerged from the whole body of contemporary blues-influenced music - up there with the greatest works of heroes like Miles and 'Trane. Chris Rea is an incredible combination of musician, composer, ethnomusicologist and keep of the memories. What an acheivement - tell evreyone you meet about this fantastic collection. I will be doing so.