The man The voice The guitar

Just Got Blue Guitars - Unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!

imagemkr
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Just Got Blue Guitars - Unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by imagemkr »

My local record/CD store here in Northern California finally got Blue Guitars which I've had on back order for some time. I'm blown away!!!!!!!! I've played six of the CDs so far and I am constantly surprised. Just when I think it can't get any better, it does.

It almost seems a shame that so many great songs are going to get lost in this collection.

Five more CDs to go. I can't wait!! I'm sure at the end I'll still wish there was more!!!

Most musician/songwriters never make 11 CDs. Much less ones that you can listen to in its entirely over and over, and Chris has done this as just one effort. Fantastic. I can't say enough.

Listening with a smile on my face, Thom
Tina3
Support
Support

Re: Just Got Blue Guitars - Unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Thorm,
Blue Guitars speaks for its self as you are now discovering.The only problem I have with this box set is trying to decide which CD I will listen to as one is as good as the next.At them moment it goes from disc 7 ( Blues Ballads) to disc 9 (Celtic and Irish) but tomorrow will be different. A good complaint I think :)
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Bart
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bart »

Tina3 wrote:Hi Thorm,
The only problem I have with this box set is trying to decide which CD I will listen to as one is as good as the next.
my "problem" is that when I bought the set, I imidiatly copied all tracks to one directory on the computer and have been playing them from there ever since (the book - almost - never opened anymore), so I don't get the "feeling" Chris intented when moving from one "period" and "location" to another (disc). Of course I can judge which songs refer to which disc, but not always 100% (of course I could look it up). I play the songs which I like most (I guess that 'll be 75% from the set) in order as they are on my PC.
Tina3 wrote:At them moment it goes from disc 7 ( Blues Ballads) to disc 9 (Celtic and Irish) but tomorrow will be different.
I like most songs of CD9 most, actually some of my all time favorites are on that one (last drink, true loves name).
Tina3 wrote:A good complaint I think :)
... I'll ask Chris when I next speak to him not to make any more of these "difficult-to-choose-from" boxes anymore, okay ?!? :D :D hahaha
REAgards, Bart (webmaster)
imagemkr
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by imagemkr »

Well, I just finished listening to all in order. I did 9 CDs yesterday and the Latin and 60s-70s this morning. It is all so wonderful. Different, and dare I say it, better, than I even expected. And its ALL Chris Rea - what else could it be. You can hear older CR songs in many of these tunes and see how many of these different styles influenced all his song writing. This really wasn't that much of a stretch for him. Just more of the great music we're used to catagorized a bit. (Celtic Blue has a little too much Nothing to Fear in it though)

But its all just amazing. I am going to do the entire thing in order one more time before randomly selecting, though I already have a few favorites CDs and songs. WOW!!!

Cheers, Thom
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Bart/Thom,
I have only copied some of the discs to my P.C.I copy them according as I want to listen to them.I couldn't do it your way Bart though because it would drive me mad just trying to pick a dozen songs never mind one :)
Bart wrote:I like most songs of CD9 most, actually some of my all time favorites are on that one (last drink, true loves name).
Great songs Bart but I have 2 more... What about What She Really is ( I wish I could find out what Chris Rea was thinking when he wrote this) and Irish Blues and of course No More Sorrow.... sorry that makes 3 :) It is easier to pick the songs which I am not fond of :) of which are very few on Blue Guitars
Bart wrote:I'll ask Chris when I next speak to him not to make any more of these "difficult-to-choose-from" boxes anymore, okay ?!? :D :D hahaha
No unless I beat you to meeting him 1st :) :)

imagemkr wrote:(Celtic Blue has a little too much Nothing to Fear in it though)
The 1st time I listened to Celtic Blue I thought I had the wrong CD on.The likeness is scary.
Tina :) :
BBQ.Master
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by BBQ.Master »

I mentioned this before:

As on "Blue Guitars", I remember that he took two older songs - the slide guitar line from "Nothing to fear" and "Espresso Logic" - to use them again (as "Celtic Blue" and "Too far from home").

But there are even more older songs on this box - sometimes just a few notes. It would take long time to list up all "renewed/recycled" songs.

Listening to "Blue Guitars" for a long time now, I'm sure about my decision that this is the best CR record. Even if he tries hard, he can't get any better than on this one.
When it hurts so deep and stays so long
Though it's dark you know where you belong
Then you will know...

...where the blues come from.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
BBQ.Master wrote:But there are even more older songs on this box - sometimes just a few notes. It would take long time to list up all "renewed/recycled" songs.
Yes I have noticed this on quite a few songs too.
BBQ.Master wrote:Listening to "Blue Guitars" for a long time now, I'm sure about my decision that this is the best CR record. Even if he tries hard, he can't get any better than on this one.
This I agree with TOTALLY as well. :)
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

I agree as well, Blue Guitars is a masterpiece, :D

lily bee
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

Hey who else could do a best of (Blue Guitars a Collection of Songs -2 CD's) for one album !
I find the more i listen the more each CD could stand alone as a release.
If you recall when Blue Guitars was released CR made the comment he had a few more CD's he could have added and he specificaly said Italian blues -our next ear book perhaps -considering his heritage ?
Jim M
Nothings Happening By The Sea
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi there, :D

I copied almost the whole collection of BG to my iTunes, and then made favorite playlists from there, burned them on cds for my car, etc. I do look at the book from time to time, and I have four posters from the album, which are really nice.

When I listen to FBN, I have that book handy as well, but mostly to show it off to friends who don't know Chris Rea, I love their reactions to his music and books.

I must say I do most of my listening at my computer and car. I'm getting MacTV soon, then I'll be able to watch my youtube videos on a big screen tv, :D

lily b
imagemkr
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by imagemkr »

Well, I've almost listened to everything a second time (and some CDs/tracks even more). It's all just wonderful. There are some definite favorites, but its all great and each could stand alone as an album. As I listen some more, I will compile a top 10-20 favorites. I have it all on my ipod, CD by CD and it is getting lots of airtime!

Lilybee mentioned she has four of the posters. In the book it says they are available through CR's website, but that was the old website. Does anybody know how I can still obtain one or more of the posters???

I watched the DVD as well yesterday - and now I am anxious to get the one piece of my Chris Rea collection that I'm missing - the 2 CD set Dancing Down the Stoney Road. It sounds like it was a prequil to Blue Guitars.

Cheers, Thom
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Thom,
imagemkr wrote:Does anybody know how I can still obtain one or more of the posters???
http://www.hopefortomorrow.org.uk/chris_rea/. This is the original site that Chris's posters are available on.

I am anxious to get the one piece of my Chris Rea collection that I'm missing - the 2 CD set Dancing Down the Stoney Road. It sounds like it was a prequil to Blue Guitars.

If you are thinking of getting the CD Dancing Down The Stony road there is another version of the DVD too.This has 2 DVD's in the box.The original Stony Road DVD and an extra DVD which has a 20 minute live concert footage from Montreux Jazz Festival where Chris launched the Stony Road CD.The catalogue number on the side of this DVD is EDEL 0141928ERE.This too is an excellent CD and well worth getting.Hope this helps
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi Tina :D

Is this the one you're talking about?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chris-Rea-Danci ... 90&sr=8-41

I can only find it used :(

lily b
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

I just received my 2 posters from hope for tomorrow yesterday and they are fantastic.I ordered Country Blue 1 and Latin Blues 1 and can hardly wait to frame them.THey are going to look GREAT in my wine room.
Nothin's Happening by the Sea
Jim
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

[quote="lilybee"]Hi Tina :D

Is this the one you're talking about?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chris-Rea-Danci ... 90&sr=8-41

I've tried to figure out how many versions of Stony Road there are.This is what i've come up with;
Dancing Down the Stony Road 1 DVD W/75 min.documentary and 20 min. concert footage
Jazzee blue Jbluedvd01
Dancing Down the Stony Road 2CD's W/20 songs
Jazzee blue jbluecd01
Dancing Down the Stony Road 2 CD's W/20 songs and 20 minute live concert video @ the end
EDEL 0143652ere
Dancing Down the Stony Road 1 CD W/13 songs EDEL0141922ere
Be carefull which one you order -Nothing's Happening By the SEa -JIm