The man The voice The guitar

Chris on Bob Harris show

Stop the presses
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: Chris on Bob Harris show

Post by Mr_Blues »

Chris wrote:I'm surprised that Chris insists on going ahead with his "three new projects" (the vinyl records only.) I can understand the general idea, but - I mean - how many of us, fans of CR, would be willing to pull out our turn tables again?Chris
Well, I got nothing against the vinyls, but I just don´t have vinyl player.

So, my plan is this:

I will buy those vinyls, of course as I have bought every album so far.
But I will find a way to get those files on MP3 and will listen those with my pc. Just because I don´t wanna invest my money on vinyl player now when i have managed to get along all these years without one.

Does anyone have anything ethical or anything against this plan?

Mr. Blues
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Chris wrote:
Hi Chris, This takes me back years.I remember going to buy stylus or needles as they were better known.I have C.R on vinal too strange enough.It is in a poor condition that at 1 stage I thought of putting it in the bin but I couldn't in the end so it sits upstairs collecting dust.I think like yourself I better start looking around the attic and get out the old turn table I have and sort it out.You are correct in what you say that vinal is still sought after.E Bay always has plenty of C.R. on vinal for sale.My brother still uses his along with the newer digital material and he has often said that he prefers vinal to other types.Most if not all my C.R material is on cassette which I now have updated by buying CD's.But I would prefer not to go back to vinal but if I have to I will.Vinal is such high maintance compared to CD's and they scratch and skip so easly.With CD's you burn them to your computer and that's that. Well here's looking forward to the 6 November or a few days sooner if I'm lucky like I was on the C.D.Benny Santini is 1 of my favourates but Tennis I'm not to bothered about.Maybe I will go back and listen to it again.
Tina :D :D[/quote]

------------
Hi Tina, once more,

One way, or another, as vinyl or CD, most of us on this forum (I think) will buy the new project by Chris Rea.
I phoned the Universal Music-Poland today (Monday) and they told me that the DVD is "being distributed."
It should be in stores "soon", at the end of this week, or early next week.
As far as "Whatever Happened with Benni Santini" (CR's stage name!), it was my first LP by him.
I bought it, eventually, on CD, as well. I hardly used any tapes at home. It was rather: I would buy the LP and then copy it for my car's radio (as a cassette.)
A friend of my told me that he "never abandoned vinyl" since it has, as he puts it, a "certain flavor to is", the "sound is much deeper as well as more authentic" (natural.) The CD, on the other hand, is -allegedly - "flat."

Take care,
Chris[/quote]
Hi Chris I agree with you.Most if not all of us here would buy the vinal if that's what was produced.I checked with my music store earlier and it's the same story with them.So we will just have to wait.I think CD's and i-pods have replaced vinal and cassettes.But I see what you mean vinal does have a certin flavor and I would think harder to do since you have to create the sound you want since computers (proberly) would not be used.Vinal is still very popular and producing vinal in different colours is not a new idea by C.R.If you check Ebay there is a white version of On The Beach available and I have seen a red version of Benny Sentini.So blue is just another colour.My 1st C.R cassette was Watersign and I still love it.I only found out recently that Benny Sentini was another name for C.R So thank God for small favours.I'm glad C.R kept his own name.Take Care
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Mr_Blues wrote:
Chris wrote:I'm surprised that Chris insists on going ahead with his "three new projects" (the vinyl records only.) I can understand the general idea, but - I mean - how many of us, fans of CR, would be willing to pull out our turn tables again?Chris
Well, I got nothing against the vinyls, but I just don´t have vinyl player.

So, my plan is this:

I will buy those vinyls, of course as I have bought every album so far.
But I will find a way to get those files on MP3 and will listen those with my pc. Just because I don´t wanna invest my money on vinyl player now when i have managed to get along all these years without one.

Mr. Blues
Hi Mr Blues, There is NOTHING wrong ethical or otherwise with your plan.I don't like the idea either of taking out the turn table.I do have 1 but I haven't used it in years and I have no plans to use it now if I can help it.When the time comes if your 1st in line for a mp3 version I promise you I will be behind you or close in the queue.Long live digital music that's what I say.Take Care
Tina :)
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

[/quote]
Hi Chris I agree with you.Most if not all of us here would buy the vinal if that's what was produced.I checked with my music store earlier and it's the same story with them.So we will just have to wait.I think CD's and i-pods have replaced vinal and cassettes.But I see what you mean vinal does have a certin flavor and I would think harder to do since you have to create the sound you want since computers (proberly) would not be used.Vinal is still very popular and producing vinal in different colours is not a new idea by C.R.If you check Ebay there is a white version of On The Beach available and I have seen a red version of Benny Sentini.So blue is just another colour.My 1st C.R cassette was Watersign and I still love it.I only found out recently that Benny Sentini was another name for C.R So thank God for small favours.I'm glad C.R kept his own name.Take Care
Tina :) :)[/quote]

-----

Hello Tina,

The "Water Sign" (1983) occupies special place in my heart. Especially the song "Candles." I've explained the reason why in several of my past posts. As you can see on your computer, I've written many posts. My wife always says: "too many."
Oh, well, I feel the same way as you and our colleague, Mr Blues (and presumably many other members on this forum), as far as copying the vinyl records and putting them on CD, MP3 or cassettes.
I mean: vinyl is fine and dandy, for Chris and others, but since 1958 we've moved into more advanced electronics. Therefore, in my opinion, sticking by Chris to "vinyl only" will be interpreted as him charging the windmill, you know. I know what he is driving at. He would love to recreate with his music a certain atmosphere of the gone by era. He will be trying to bring it all back and serve it to others on a silver plate. Well, so far, so good. I don't see anything wrong with that, except: he can do it with old wooden boxes, old hand-made guitars and aged equipment in a special studio (with wooden panels, high ceiling and a special floor, as opposed to concrete walls, plastic ceiling and linoleum floor, for instance), but all new songs should be registered the modern way. The final product, though, doesn't have to be put on "vinyl only." It should be offered to us in several formats.
Unless, he doesn't care (anymore!) and he will go ahead with his plans regardless.
Take care,
Chris
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Chris wrote:
Tina :) :)[/quote]

-----

Hello Tina,

The "Water Sign" (1983) occupies special place in my heart. Especially the song "Candles." I've explained the reason why in several of my past posts. As you can see on your computer, I've written many posts. My wife always says: "too many."
Oh, well, I feel the same way as you and our colleague, Mr Blues (and presumably many other members on this forum), as far as copying the vinyl records and putting them on CD, MP3 or cassettes.
I mean: vinyl is fine and dandy, for Chris and others, but since 1958 we've moved into more advanced electronics. Therefore, in my opinion, sticking by Chris to "vinyl only" will be interpreted as him charging the windmill, you know. I know what he is driving at. He would love to recreate with his music a certain atmosphere of the gone by era. He will be trying to bring it all back and serve it to others on a silver plate. Well, so far, so good. I don't see anything wrong with that, except: he can do it with old wooden boxes, old hand-made guitars and aged equipment in a special studio (with wooden panels, high ceiling and a special floor, as opposed to concrete walls, plastic ceiling and linoleum floor, for instance), but all new songs should be registered the modern way. The final product, though, doesn't have to be put on "vinyl only." It should be offered to us in several formats.
Unless, he doesn't care (anymore!) and he will go ahead with his plans regardless.
Take care,
Chris[/quote]
Hi Chris Hmm... is Candles the song Chris wrote after he visited Poland and he asked his interpeter was there anything he could do for her and she said 'yes light me a candle' or do I stand corrected? You can never write too much the more the better...Yes it should be offered in ALL formats but we all know how C.R feels about his music and he wants perfection in all senses so he will do as he sees fit I persume.Look there is a way to change from vinal to computer.How was it done for the likes of Elvis, Frank Santara or Bing Crosby?.Their CD's are available and they came from a time when digital was just a dream. Does C.R care what the fans... I don't know sometimes I think it's a case of C.R. knows best and we as fans either like it or not.Or am I been to critical?Take care Chris
Tina
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

Chris Wastell wrote: btw i have recordings of the bob harris show (the part with chris) if anyones intrested ill see if i can get them hosted for bart to link to ;)
That would be great Chris; I haven't heard it and was wondering how to record it from the listen again section on the web site. I guess the recording is too big to email?
Regards,
Kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

[/quote]
Hi Chris Hmm... is Candles the song Chris wrote after he visited Poland and he asked his interpeter was there anything he could do for her and she said 'yes light me a candle' or do I stand corrected? You can never write too much the more the better...Yes it should be offered in ALL formats but we all know how C.R feels about his music and he wants perfection in all senses so he will do as he sees fit I persume.Look there is a way to change from vinal to computer.How was it done for the likes of Elvis, Frank Santara or Bing Crosby?.Their CD's are available and they came from a time when digital was just a dream. Does C.R care what the fans... I don't know sometimes I think it's a case of C.R. knows best and we as fans either like it or not.Or am I been to critical?Take care Chris
Tina[/quote]

--------

Good Morning Tina,

Yes, exactly, that's the story behind this song. For us (I think), when we say (casually or seriously as it sounds) "(you can) light a candle for me", it's both: serious and deadly emotional at the same time. Especially, when we visit cemeteries on All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day to light candles...
That's why, I think Chris stroke a right note when he wrote this particular song. I wrote about it several times, therefore I don't want to repeat myself.
And you know something?, it's good that people interpret this song, "Candles", the way they want to, because it's also a beautiful love song for everyone.
Chris says quite frequently "I'm not a saint", but deep inside he is very emotional and admits that he reacts emotionally ("I cried after listening to a song", he misses (more and more) his older daughter Josephine, who grew up and left home....) This only says something: he is all right flesh and blood loaded with feelings. That's important. He is not just another hoopla artist, a Spy Girls-type, another hybrid with meaningless words and melodies.
I've been listening last night, once again, to Bob Harris's show and in particular to the 'live' (yet another) version of "'Til the Morning (Sun Shines On My Love and Me"), and I think the more CR sings this particular song, the more emotional (in it) he gets. Chris's slide solo was brilliant as he performed 'live' in the BBC3 studio. His guitar actually cried in it....

As far as vinyl vs. digital recordings, I think Chris still depends on fans like us. After all, when he will produce a new collection, he will count on selling it, too. With the three vinyl-only projects he just might lose some support. I simply don't think it's necessary for him to provoke some of us, to test our loyalty, to determine to what limits we would be willing to go.
Take care,
Chris
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Chris wrote:
Tina[/quote]

--------

Good Morning Tina,

Yes, exactly, that's the story behind this song. For us (I think), when we say (casually or seriously as it sounds) "(you can) light a candle for me", it's both: serious and deadly emotional at the same time. Especially, when we visit cemeteries on All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day to light candles...
That's why, I think Chris stroke a right note when he wrote this particular song. I wrote about it several times, therefore I don't want to repeat myself.
And you know something?, it's good that people interpret this song, "Candles", the way they want to, because it's also a beautiful love song for everyone.
Chris says quite frequently "I'm not a saint", but deep inside he is very emotional and admits that he reacts emotionally ("I cried after listening to a song", he misses (more and more) his older daughter Josephine, who grew up and left home....) This only says something: he is all right flesh and blood loaded with feelings. That's important. He is not just another hoopla artist, a Spy Girls-type, another hybrid with meaningless words and melodies.
I've been listening last night, once again, to Bob Harris's show and in particular to the 'live' (yet another) version of "'Til the Morning (Sun Shines On My Love and Me"), and I think the more CR sings this particular song, the more emotional (in it) he gets. Chris's slide solo was brilliant as he performed 'live' in the BBC3 studio. His guitar actually cried in it....

As far as vinyl vs. digital recordings, I think Chris still depends on fans like us. After all, when he will produce a new collection, he will count on selling it, too. With the three vinyl-only projects he just might lose some support. I simply don't think it's necessary for him to provoke some of us, to test our loyalty, to determine to what limits we would be willing to go.
Take care,
Chris[/quote]
Good Morning Chris,Yes Candles is truely an amazing song.Every time I listen to it I think as to how that song came to be.I always light candles wheather it's to think of someone who has died but also for the living.C.R seems to be a religious person and also a very caring person.I don't know of another singer who sings about what is most precious to them and the people he loves.Christmas Day last year I received Blue Guitars as a christmas gift and the 1st CD I listen to was the Celtic and Irish Blues and that is my all time favourate song of that CD.It does get better and better as he sings it.If Chris is testing our loyality to him I think we would all pass.I don't know any fan who would not get the 3 vinals and then find some way to listen to them.As Mr Blues said earlier he will find an MP3 format and others would do the same.I know I will only take out my turn table as a last resort.If Chris Rea was anything like the Spice Girls or others he would not be still around now.As I say to my lot when they ask me what do I think of such bands is lets see how long they last and none of them last any length of time and that speaks for its self.Chris is still here after 20 years or more and that proves that he is a master.Take care Chris
Tina :D :D :D
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

blueskev wrote:
Chris Wastell wrote: btw i have recordings of the bob harris show (the part with chris) if anyones intrested ill see if i can get them hosted for bart to link to ;)
That would be great Chris; I haven't heard it and was wondering how to record it from the listen again section on the web site. I guess the recording is too big to email?
Regards,
Kev.
------

Hi Kev,
Here's the link which takes you (anyone) directly to the BBC player with Bob Harris's show, but I don't know either how to record it from the site...is it at all possible?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainfram ... /bobharris

Take care,
Chris
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

[/quote]
Good Morning Chris,Yes Candles is truely an amazing song.Every time I listen to it I think as to how that song came to be.I always light candles wheather it's to think of someone who has died but also for the living.C.R seems to be a religious person and also a very caring person.I don't know of another singer who sings about what is most precious to them and the people he loves.Christmas Day last year I received Blue Guitars as a christmas gift and the 1st CD I listen to was the Celtic and Irish Blues and that is my all time favourate song of that CD.It does get better and better as he sings it.If Chris is testing our loyality to him I think we would all pass.I don't know any fan who would not get the 3 vinals and then find some way to listen to them.As Mr Blues said earlier he will find an MP3 format and others would do the same.I know I will only take out my turn table as a last resort.If Chris Rea was anything like the Spice Girls or others he would not be still around now.As I say to my lot when they ask me what do I think of such bands is lets see how long they last and none of them last any length of time and that speaks for its self.Chris is still here after 20 years or more and that proves that he is a master.Take care Chris
Tina :D :D :D[/quote]

--------

Thank you Tina for your very nice and prompt reply.
I feel the same way about Chris as you do. He must be deeply religious as he has deep feelings about many events in his life. His mother, father, brothers, sisters, daughters, wife, friends are being mentioned quite frequently in his songs. Especially in these from the 80s.....
Take care,
Chris
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Post by Jutta »

Hello everybody,

I also found the concert on the show great. But I ´m having trouble understanding his Middlesbrough accent from time to time. The audience laughed a lot :lol: :D :P , but sometimes I don´t know why. Can somebody tell me a few of his jokes he was making?
Thanks a lot!

Yours Jutta
blueskev

Post by blueskev »

Mr_Blues wrote:

Mr. Blues
Listening to them in the car is going to be interesting....
kev.
It's just me
and my deep blue ways...
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

blueskev wrote:
Mr_Blues wrote:

Mr. Blues
Listening to them in the car is going to be interesting....
kev.
Kev, I lOVE your wit!!!! :D :D :D :D
Tina
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Jutta wrote:Hello everybody,

I also found the concert on the show great. But I ´m having trouble understanding his Middlesbrough accent from time to time. The audience laughed a lot :lol: :D :P , but sometimes I don´t know why. Can somebody tell me a few of his jokes he was making?
Thanks a lot!

Yours Jutta
Hi Jutta,Nice to talk to you.I don't have the DVD yet( :( )but when I do get it I will try then. Tina :)
Jutta
Translator
Translator

Post by Jutta »

Tina3 wrote:
Jutta wrote:Hello everybody,

Thanks a lot!

Yours Jutta
Hi Jutta,Nice to talk to you.I don't have the DVD yet( :( )but when I do get it I will try then. Tina :)
Hello Tina,
nice to talk to you too, but I meant the Bob Harris-show, not the DVD. I also have to wait for the DVD. In Germany we even got the CD only last Friday ... very late :cry: .