The man The voice The guitar

The Tour 2017

Stop the presses
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: The Tour 2017

Post by ann268 »

[But what he has done to Stainsby is fantastic!
See the Stainsby Girls is wonderful! I couldn't imagine you wouldn't like it.
You said it was done before this way, but I didn't hear it like this.
I didn't like the part of the Santo Spirito behind the music it was played with.
The first two songs sounded a bit like the same to me. I prefer Happy on the Road, since it's from the new album.
The missing of sliding, I think he really has trouble with his fingers on his left hand. Still awesome solo's.
I think it was a Neil/Chris show at times. Neil being the main musician. I like James, but I missed Sylvin Marc somehow.
And the rest was just great ;)
You're never to old to dance!
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Thank you Andrew so much for sharing your impressions and for detailing all songs played. While reading your review I felt as if I was at the gig myself. Well done.
I'm listening to the new CD every day and in addition I'm scanning the Youtube for all new videos from his concerts at different places. I'm glad people still love his music and flock to his gigs in great numbers.
The set list might change from place to place but the main theme is there: he want's to perform for the audience both new pieces and old songs alike even though it might be difficult for him to play some solos or notes. I'm of the opinion that Chris is trying to say goodby the nicest possible way.
I miss Sylvin Marc, too (just like Ann) but I'm glad Robert Ahwai is back. He always stayed in the shadow, so to speak, but his contributions are just great. All the musicians perform very well, it seems, and Chris doesn't have any problems with communicating with them on stage. At least I haven't notices any blunders.
All the best to all,
Chris
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:See the Stainsby Girls is wonderful! I couldn't imagine you wouldn't like it. You said it was done before this way, but I didn't hear it like this.
It was played in a very close way in late 1986, I will send you these records in private mail.
ann268 wrote:The first two songs sounded a bit like the same to me. I prefer Happy on the Road, since it's from the new album.
Me too, but now I see it was important technically to place 2 similar songs at the very start, to put the sound in a proper way. There was a guy next to us by the very side of front row, checking the sound parameters and tuning the arena sound with an iPad. After that, starting from Nothing Left Behind, the sound became much clearer and the guy was gone.
ann268 wrote:The missing of sliding, I think he really has trouble with his fingers on his left hand. Still awesome solo's.
No, I don't think so, he did around the same amount of sliding as before, maybe even a bit too much (long) on Stony Road. The problems with sliding may apply only for Pinky guitar, but maybe he just wanted to play the songs on that guitar in a different way, like he did in 2014 with On the Beach.
ann268 wrote:I think it was a Neil/Chris show at times. Neil being the main musician.
Hm, there was no hint of being in a way like you say here. Neil was the closest on stage to where we sat, but I noticed no 'dominating' of him though the gig, he seemed to play and sound better than on studio records (he always does, actually) and his live accordeon playing was just welcome. It was always Chris who was up front thought the gig, both sound-wise and action-wise, even too much up front sound-wise in Moscow and at the start of St. Pete gig. Yes, in the studio, Neil seems to have a big influence on Chris and I don't like that, you know. The same kind of working relationship with Max Middleton was more than welcome, but with Neil - not so much.

BTW, that promo-guy in Moscow, my fellow Brian May fan, noticed that at the backstage, Neil was always next to Chris, going for a smoke together, with Neil literally supporting Chris by his hand. And that friend of mine said he found Neil as a very unpleasant person.
Last edited by andrew fischer on 17 Nov 2017, 14:31, edited 2 times in total.
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hm, there was no hint of being in a way like you say here. Neil was the closest on stage to our side seats, but I noticed no 'domiating' of him though the gig, he seemed to play and sound better than on studio records (he always does, actually) and his live accordeon playing was just welcome. It was always Chris who was up front thought the gig, both sound-wise and action-wise, even too much up front sound-wise in Moscow and at the start of St. Pete gig. Yes, in the studio, Neil seems to have a big influence on Chris and I don't like that, you know. The same kid of working relationship with Max Middleton was more thatn welcome, but with Neil - not so much.
I only saw the first gig, things might have changed, but I sat on the right side of the stage, I saw what happened on the left side.
Much like you described from the Brain May man, Neil played the "Max" solo's. Mal did some. As Neil was playing quite a lot of accordion, Mal played the keyboard parts. The other musicians were almost invisible. But I noticed on more recent video's Chris is more confident in walking and dancing as his first night.
And didn't he quit smoking?
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:The other musicians were almost invisible.
At our gig Martin was literally invisible by his drums, at least for the left side of seats next to the stage. I never saw his face throughout the gig since he 'hid' behind the cymbals.
ann268 wrote:And didn't Chris quit smoking?
Yes, that friend of mine was surprised, too, as well as by Chris's drinking. I was not, since he told in an interview he continued doing that even after the stroke. He knows better, if it helps him feeling good through the tour, so be it.
Chris wrote:At least I haven't notices any blunders.
I noticed Chris missing notes twice, once at the end of Josephine and the other time through Julia, if memory serves, and to my ear the missing was rather severe. He gave no fuzz about that, though. The band's playing together was absolutely proper, nothing to complain about.
Chris wrote:Thank you Andrew so much for sharing your impressions and for detailing all songs played. While reading your review I felt as if I was at the gig myself. Well done.
I'm listening to the new CD every day and in addition I'm scanning the Youtube for all new videos from his concerts at different places.
Really appreciate your kind words, Chris. Both Russian gigs were fully shot by the audience.
veherny
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by veherny »

I'm glad you've had a great time with your wife. I'm so surprised that Chris is still smoking. It's a shame! I knew that alcohol did not leave him, he only takes care of himself at meals. I think Neil is a good guy, I do not see him unpleasant. Now Chris is giving him more space than I love. His piano arrangements are not excellent for me. Another one that is a great musician and is a bit limited is Mal.Ann I understand that driving is going to sing from December .It is a pity that in baloise there is no play nothing left behind or two lost soul neither till .... GREAT embrace friends
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

I agree with you Verherny. Would love to see more of Mal and less of Neil, I do like the man.
I hope for a snowcannon and Driving home for Christmas on the 6th December. I think the Irish like that too.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:I noticed on more recent video's Chris is more confident in walking and dancing as his first night.
For Chris's movements on stage, it often made us really worried how stumbled jumping through his 'ritual dances' on Stony Road, Julia, Let's Dance - so fragile he looked in those moments. My wife said to me, half-joking: "Don't know what he gets high from, but it fits him!'', to what I answered that it is painkillers Chris is getting high from, just like Dr. House. And it is sad but true. But I do not care since he seems to be alright with that.
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Lidocane or something called like that. Might be possible. He dances like he did before, only his left foot stays behind at times. He looks fragile indeed. But you must have some energy to play a Tour like he does now.
More cities as 2014. And his hair is really making him look old, I wished he didn't use that gel.
Although I thought Phil Collins looked older as Chris before this Tour, now it's about the same.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:Lidocaine or something called like that. Might be possible. And his hair is really making him look old, I wished he didn't use that gel. I thought Phil Collins looked older as Chris before this Tour, now it's about the same.
In Dr. House case, it was vicodin, but can be lidocaine as well. We shall see Phil Collins through his postponed/added shows later this year, same time as Chris's last shows, and can compare again)) And yes, me too, I hate this gel. I used such thing when I was 13-14 years old and that was awful so I recall that with shiver and shame)))
veherny
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by veherny »

My poor English was misunderstood I love Neil's piano arrangements I find them excellent.
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Verherny, I understood, no worries. I know you love Neil. I missed the others a bit. There was not much space for their contribution, And I know it was only the their first night.(Amsterdam) Tour must grow,
jlandon

Post by jlandon »

In response to Andrews comments about the guitars Chris relies on now. I don't like the way the relic'd (new guitars scuffed up to look old) guitars look either. Relic'd guitars are supposed to look worn out due to extreme use but whoever relic'd the Squier and the Italia (with the Hofner label) kind of laid it on a little thick. They look like they've been dipped in maple syrup. However to each his own. A guitarist can fall in love with a guitar regardless of how it looks if they feel it's easy to play. They begin to connect with the instrument.

There's nothing like 'ole pinky though. If I could have one guitar in the world it would be that one.
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

there is a new interview online:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ents ... them__39_/

find it a bit bothering that in the end he talks about On The Beach like it's a new thing to play it as a reggae as it has been done like that for almost 20 years or so ??
BLUEHOOD71
bREAth of blues
bREAth of blues

Post by BLUEHOOD71 »

Just back from Glasgow and have to say Chris was as good as I have seen him. I have attended many of his concerts over the past 30 years and would say this was one of the best. Chris looked like he was enjoying himself and the Glasgow audience danced !! Considering the health of Chris he was unbelievable ! Loved the new stuff and as for Easy Rider and Stainsbury Girls just wow. Last time I saw Chris in Edinburgh I thought I wouldn't go back it was same songs and felt like Chris was going through the motions. Boy am I glad I went back. Thank you thank you Mr Rea !!