The man The voice The guitar

NEW RELEASE 2017 - ROAD SONGS FOR LOVERS!!!

Stop the presses
veherny
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Re: NEW RELEASE 2017 - ROAD SONGS FOR LOVERS!!!

Post by veherny »

I think Chris has locked himself in. He needs a broader opening in arrangements and composition. Which I believe can be helped by great arrangers who exist in the music industry
This is my humble opinion
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

By the way I'm always puzzled why collaborations with other (reknown) artists are so rare.
I'd love Chris to invite other musicians to play on his albums! In my opinion this is the way to ensure musical quality and also bring in some freshness and new sounds. There are a very few musicians who can lock themselves in their basement and come out with a world class record. And even so Chris recorded the new album in a studio with a real band - it still sounds very much like a home made song.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

tobi777 wrote: And even so Chris recorded the new album in a studio with a real band - it still sounds very much like a home made song.
Joking again, maybe Chris wanted us and the label see there is no actual difference if he makes records at home or in the studio so he could continue on his own and do not bother himself with bringing in a band?..
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

Yes, even with band it does not sound too much of a band, more like compared to recent years.
tobi777 wrote:And even so Chris recorded the new album in a studio with a real band - it still sounds very much like a home made song.

Chris must hold tight on producer seat, he should pass it on quickly
andrew fischer wrote:Joking again, maybe Chris wanted us and the label see there is no actual difference if he makes records at home or in the studio so he could continue on his own and do not bother himself with bringing in a band?..
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Just have checked old fan club newletter and paper articles from 1997 and in several texts the forthcoming Blue Cafe album was told to be a jazz/blues album and what we got instead? Not bad at all, I love that effort by Chris to "give [the label] what [they] f***ing know", as he quoted in an interview in April'98; but it was just the opposite to what has been promised.
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Hi Andrew,

any chance of uploading the old fanclub stuff from pre-internet times somewhere?
These bits of information are very hard to find nowadays!

Cheers
Tobi
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

tobi777 wrote:Hi Andrew,any chance of uploading the old fanclub stuff from pre-internet times somewhere?
These bits of information are very hard to find nowadays!
Cheers
Tobi
Hello Tobias,
I have mailed you a digitized copy of CR fan club newsletters from 1989 and 1995-99. Please do not put them to public since I have no permission from those who owned/digitized them (most likely it was Bart, judging by the watermark, but I got them from another fan). Thank you.
best wishes
Andrey
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Thanks, I've sent you a mail.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Again, speaking of new album indirectly, I listen to Sarah Randle's 2003 The Sparrow album and find it a good combination for a 'commercial' Chris Rea release as the new album is assumed to be. I really wonder why it had no success definitely having the best commerce potential of all 2003 Jazzee Blue series, since it's more of a 'usual' Chris Rea album (maybe except for title track which is a piano driven gospel standard, perceived almost as acapella, just with some organs added by Chris), just with female vocals and a bit more bluesy, corresponding to Chris's interests at the time. It is not as blues/jazz-focused as Stony Road / Blue Jukebox and sounds much like some of The Blue Guitars (Louisiana, Gospel/Motown, 60-70s) but also has much from Stony Road (Working Day outtake, Hurricane / Burning Feet similarity) and even King of the Beach (Bluey guitar lead) albums and features The Blue Cafe album's reworked song. Had it been released as Chris Rea & Sarah Randle album (like Brian May & Kerry Ellis albums, with all vocals by Ellis and most music and guitars by May - similar to Chris's music & guitars on The Sparrow) with proper promotion, it could have had even greater success that Stony Road / Blue Jukebox, since its production and engineering by Stuart Epps are impeccable compared to later albums and mastering (by Jon Kelly?) is much better than The Blue Street album which was chosen as main album of the series. So I wonder how far the new album will be from The Sparrow, what do you think?

best wishes
Andrey
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

well it was not Chris Rea album, it was Sarah Randle album which had Rea's songs and playing in it. Maybe if he had been singing too and if it was marketed & released as Randle & Rea album it would have been more successful.
andrew fischer wrote:Again, speaking of new album indirectly, I listen to Sarah Randle's 2003 The Sparrow album and find it a good combination for a 'commercial' Chris Rea release as the new album is assumed to be. I really wonder why it had no success definitely having the best commerce potential of all 2003 Jazzee Blue series
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi all,
either they just still post lines extracted from The Road Ahead lyrics (why, on Earth?..) or a new single is coming soon, judging by CR official Twitter: https://twitter.com/chrisreamusic/statu ... 8139616258
https://twitter.com/statuses/883022915721207809

By the way, it is told that German release will be tackled by a division of Warner, which puzzles things even worse, but I could not find any info on that, can anyone help me please?..

best wishes
Andrey
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

I think they are teasers, just like the "About" on the ChrisRea.Com. If you read that part again, it gives a lot of lyrics and some information on piano and sax.
I forgot about that and I think a sax with piano will sound different as the first single The Road Ahead.
BMG is big and has subdivisions, Warner can be one of them I guess.
You're never to old to dance!
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:I think they are teasers, just like the "About" on the ChrisRea.Com. If you read that part again, it gives a lot of lyrics and some information on piano and sax. I forgot about that and I think a sax with piano will sound different as the first single The Road Ahead. BMG is big and has subdivisions, Warner can be one of them I guess.
Hi Anneke, I guess, Warner is even bigger than BMG, haha)) Warner's division EastWest was Chris's major label in 1988-2001 and another division, Rhino - in 2009-2011. So my question was which division of Warner is in charge of German Release of CR new album.
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

I lost track of which company was fusing with others. Only big ones survived...but it's strange.
And Germany is and was almost his biggest market within Europe. So he may have other deals there.
Who knows?
You're never to old to dance!
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:I lost track of which company was fusing with others. Only big ones survived...but it's strange.
And Germany is and was almost his biggest market within Europe. So he may have other deals there.
Who knows?
Yes, most likely, like it was in 2002-2007 with Edel Rec. handling CR records in Germany while in the UK they were handled by Jazzee Blue itself.