The man The voice The guitar

NEW RELEASE 2017 - ROAD SONGS FOR LOVERS!!!

Stop the presses
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Re: NEW RELEASE 2017 - ROAD SONGS FOR LOVERS!!!

Post by MRB »

ok, setlist must have some of the old songs, but I guess those contracts don't say setlist must be the same in each gig of the tour? man with hundreds songs and he can only play the exact 20 songs or so, it is really like saying to rally driver you can only use one gear and not the others?

really foolish contracts and if you think about it, would it really mean less audience if there was different songs?

my CD has arrived, even with signing which I thought might not happen as I ordered it such late. Will be great to test album in my car tomorrow when I go driving.
ann268 wrote:
Thank you Ann for posting the links to Chris live songs from the BBC program on Youtube
You're welcome Chris.
I think we will know a bit by now what to expect at the Tour. A few new songs and the hits, because "German fans want them and I have to sign that in the contract", that is why it's always the same setlists...German fans tell your promotors to stop with these ridiculous demands.
German is the biggest part of the tour, but there are other countries too.
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Well, the setlists from 2006 on have been nearly identical and I cannot believe any german fan would approve that - or even demand it... maybe if the setlist consisted of hits only.

It's clear to me that he has to play a few hits - every artist is expected to do that - and I guess 80% of the audience only knows these songs.

But none of these people would demand him playing "Where The Blues Come From" or "Somewhere Between Highway 61 and 49" - but he played these songs anyway instead of alternating and choosing a few others from his big back catalogue.

So I guess it must be a certain degree of laziness involved...
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

I would like an old fashioned, just play the new album and some old and for instance songs that are good and actual (Nothing to fear) at the moment. And a hit or 2. But at the moment I'm just happy I can go and see him.
Yes I got my package yesterday. Looks good and sounds even better!

BTW I think people will come anyway, he's just a great musician and slide guitarist.
You're never to old to dance!
veherny
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by veherny »

friends with these three piano songs especially the exquisite version of stainsby girl I'm done.Magnific
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

tobi777 wrote:Well, the setlists from 2006 on have been nearly identical and I cannot believe any german fan would approve that - or even demand it... maybe if the setlist consisted of hits only. It's clear to me that he has to play a few hits - every artist is expected to do that - and I guess 80% of the audience only knows these songs.
But none of these people would demand him playing "Where The Blues Come From" or "Somewhere Between Highway 61 and 49" - but he played these songs anyway instead of alternating and choosing a few others from his big back catalogue. So I guess it must be a certain degree of laziness involved...
100% agree with you, Tobias, he is talking this bullshit again, I heard it all before, in 2014, he also said he plays hits since fans (namely Germans) demand for this, he even had the nerve to say he changes songs which he never did. Signing to the contract with "hits always included" does not mean " all the same 5 hits from the previous tours", and the Germans (any fans or even not fans, actually) would like to hear not the same 5 hits but other ones too, especially those he had not played live (at all or for a long time). Vice versa, if not signing to such a contact, Chris would hardly play all the new stuff like he did in 2002. I do agree it is the least effort to get what is needed/required. Public get their same old hits, label does not bother arguing since it gets its bob, Chris gets his.
MRB wrote:ok, setlist must have some of the old songs, but I guess those contracts don't say setlist must be the same in each gig of the tour? man with hundreds songs and he can only play the exact 20 songs or so, it is really like saying to rally driver you can only use one gear and not the others? really foolish contracts and if you think about it, would it really mean less audience if there was different songs?
I think anyone would be please if he even not change the songs from gig to gig but changes the setlist after all! Stop being lazy and playing the same songs which the audience actually does not want (the same blues stuff) and play more new stuff. It is even okay with hits remain the same 5-6 songs and all the other songs in the set are from the new album. Win-win for everyone. But it won't happen anyway.
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
Müfo
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by Müfo »

Thank you Andrew an Tobi! So I don`t have to write it with my barely english skills ;-)...
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Müfo wrote:Thank you Andrew an Tobi! So I don`t have to write it with my barely english skills ;-)...
You're welcome, Müfo (though I never thought your English skills to be poor)

These are all just assuptions of ours, based on the past experience, since it seems now the only differences between Road Songs for Lovers album and tour and Santo Spirito ones are somemore live band studio work and a some greater amount of old-style Chris songs, that's it for now. Production, arrangement, promotion, overall treatment of the public and label's tacling are the same as in the past 10 years. The only good thing that remains is the sound engineering, which is 100% great work, even with such a poor raw material.
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
gjvg
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by gjvg »

#!@%&*#$ Ggggggrrrrrr... Ordered 22th of june... still not received. Afraid I can't listen all the songs before the gig in Amsterdam on Saturday 7th. :evil: :oops:
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Did you check your account gjvg? You can ask Royal Post to Track and Trace it for you.
Mine was delivered at Post.nl, but I heard others had it through DHL. I could see it when I clicked on Royal Mail, package delivered in Rotterdam to Post.nl....
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

Listened album once yesterday from CD in my car, sounds of course better than from Spotify.

Looking for listening more, but there's these few things stopping me, life, family and work, so more during weekend!
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Here Chris explains, song by song, the meaning of each tune, what it is all about.
I found it very interesting.
Enjoy!
Chris

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we8cirjbmkU
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

That video explains a lot, why he redid some old ones.
And the dog spotted in photo's in interviews, I wonder if that is the dog he's singing about....
See:
http://culturebox.francetvinfo.fr/musiq ... ers-263263
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

some numbers of sales (UK I guess):

http://www.musicweek.com/labels/read/he ... rts/070070
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

If we all bought in the UK, we wil help that sale I guess.
1500 signed CD's! :o