The man The voice The guitar

NEW RELEASE 2017 - ROAD SONGS FOR LOVERS!!!

Stop the presses
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Re: NEW RELEASE 2017 - ROAD SONGS FOR LOVERS!!!

Post by ann268 »

I'm sure everyone has his/her own ideas of a typical Chris song. I just hope for some pure love songs too, he's good at it :) And the title album implies that, so I really can't wait. And I'm glad he used a proper band and musicians, hope to see them back at he Tour.
You're never to old to dance!
veherny
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by veherny »

I imagined something better. I agree that the synthesizer imitating brass is not the best. Also I imagined a return to its principles and for what seems to be more of the same. The musicians are Martin on drums Neil on synths and Robert on the other Guitar I do not have the data if Sylvin plays the bass. Well I hope the album fills my expectation and that it is just a passing song
GREAt hug
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi again,

speaking of whether the single directly represents the new album, I recall at least 2 recent cases with Chris's "brothers in arms", Mark Knopfler and Dave Gilmour. "Beryl", lead single from Knopfler's latest album "Tracker", made most people happily think he is back to his 70/80s Dire Straits roots, while the overall album appeared to be a typical solo Knopfler's folk-rock (which I like) and the single was just a deceptive teaser. Another case, with Gilmour's latest album's title track as single, "Rattle That Lock" which seemed to many too much a commercial and shallow undertake, proved to be another wise-chosen teaser to gain attention to the album which turned out to be much more elaborate.

If it is the case with Chris's new album, that the 1st single is actually a white raven on it, then it is so strange a choice - a contemporary bluesy boogie instead of a classic love ballad or an up-tempo road song, the types which supposedly make this album. If such a single was released 10 years ago, me myself I would have been in the front row to shout how great it is of Chris to release a relatively non-commercial song, representative of his recent music direction, instead of an old-school easy-listening ballad or a road song. But in 10 years we have been hearing such tunes so many times - Still so Far, Last Open Road and many other songs very much alike.

take care
Andrey
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

exactly, Andrey, not to mention that "Come So Far, Still So Far to Go" was produced so much better
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

elangelo wrote:exactly, Andrey, not to mention that "Come So Far, Still So Far to Go" was produced so much better
Yes, sure, Come So Far was quite properly produced because of Warner's Rhino label, I think. I had such high hopes for BMG label to push Chris and his management to do proper things and that' s what we get instead, just the usual mess and uncertainty with lots of promises broken and expectations not lived up to. They even couldn't make correct description of the vinyl edition at the web-shop: they say it is "double gatefold LP" and show 2 vinyl discs in the picture while text and tracklist says it is a single disc with 2 sides A/B, thus unclear if it is actually 2LP or not: https://chrisrea.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=33084
Munich-1983
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Munich-1983 »

Hi
I am here to express my disappointment about the new song "The road ahead", as heard yesterday on BBC2.
This is not a new song, but a very similar tune to several tracks from the last albums. Even the guitar-solo and the orchestration are quotations from "Santo Spirito". Not even the text makes much sense, I guess.
Overall the song sounds uptight and too-much-wanting. No tender feeling, no silent moment in it. I even did not mention the "better recording quality" and the band. It sounds so brusquely as the lonesome-made home records. All of that, what the press information by BMG or the announcement by Athenamats (on Youtube) did promise -- was not to hear.

I do not understand. Does Chris not have any musical consultant, no producer, no musician who can help to make it sound lovely?? All the poetry from the 80ies disappeared. Though there seemed to be the chance for a revival with rock-ballads and lounge-styled arrangements that we all loved so much.

The only chance for the upcoming concert that I see is, that Chris playes more of the old "Gold" songs from the 80ies, and that the reaches out for his audience. Please Chris: do not only play 12- 15 songs nonstop and in the fast-forward-modus, but TALK to us! Take us with you on a journey of your mucial life und celebrate a atmospheric concert evening instead of jamming this cold new musical staff.
Best REAgards from the biggest fan ever.
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Morning guys,
If you check the site ChrisRea.Com out, you can see what is on the vinyls. It's the 12 songs from the CD, both 6 songs. Seems a little bit for two vinyls....see link:
https://chrisrea.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=33086
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:Morning guys, If you check the site ChrisRea.Com out, you can see what is on the vinyls. It's the 12 songs from the CD, both 6 songs. Seems a little bit for two vinyls....see link: https://chrisrea.tmstor.es/cart/product.php?id=33086
Hi Anneke, this is exactly what I was talking of. But 3 songs per vinyl side is common nowadays - they try to get more funds teliing us the quality is better if lesser number of tracks is put closer to disc's edge, thus less distorsion. E.g., in 2014 Edel Rec. released 12-track version of Fool If you Think It's Over 2008 compilation on 2LP with 3 songs per side, see my post here: http://www.chrisrea.nl/community/viewto ... =60#p12616
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

It's like the old mini LP or Maxi Single. Give it a fancy name.
I rather like to listen to vinyl, so I bought that package. And the quality is mostly great if you keep your vinyl in good condition. :)
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:It's like the old mini LP or Maxi Single. Give it a fancy name. I rather like to listen to vinyl, so I bought that package. And the quality is mostly great if you keep your vinyl in good condition. :)
Dear Anneke, 12" Maxi-Singles (so called mini-LPs) play at 45 rpm speed as 7" singles while full albums have 33 1/3 rpm speed. And they both have physical limits of keeping the highest quality considering the amount of music on each vinyl disc side, it is ca. 10-12 minutes for 45 rpm 12" and about 20 minutes for 33 1/3 rpm, though most single LPs have 22-25 minutes of music per side, and with over 30 minutes per side the quality is not even reasonable. That is why they use these calculations as marketing approach to sell double LP with 50 minutes of music instead of a single one. Sometimes it is even a full album on four 45 rpm vinyls, e.g. reissued Metallica classic albums. It does not concern general vinyl quality issues like mastering, storage or playback technical requirements, but just the (presumably) highest possible quality with the least production expenses.
Last edited by andrew fischer on 20 Jun 2017, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Yes, I have always trouble to play the right speed, although as a youngster I never had that problem. :?
It's logical if I think about it :lol:
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Munich-1983 wrote:All of that, what the press information by BMG or the announcement by Athenamats (on Youtube) did promise -- was not to hear.
Hi! BMG press-release seems to be written by a person in charge of marketing (John Knowles the manager?) and thus may barly represent the actual contents of the album truthfully. Athena has some inside information sources (so do some other fans), but she (and others) still relies mostly on the same "official" information to put onto her YouTube channel. So she is surely not to blame for incorrect info.
Munich-1983 wrote:Does Chris not have any musical consultant, no producer, no musician who can help to make it sound lovely??
No, it is long since clear he only relies on his own views production-wise after Blue Jukebox where Sylvin Marc was musical director and Kiadnan Quinn was the producer, let alone it was a large real band there and then, soon shrunk to Chris alone with some occasional helpers.
Munich-1983 wrote:Please Chris: do not only play 12- 15 songs nonstop and in the fast-forward-modus, but TALK to us! Take us with you on a journey of your mucial life und celebrate a atmospheric concert evening instead of jamming this cold new musical staff.
Yeah, I so agree, no talking to audience at all makes Chris's shows machine-like, which I find pretty rude towards the public.
Munich-1983 wrote:Best REAgards from the biggest fan ever.
Words like these imply you better tell us your real name since I seem to know most of the biggest fans, who are active here and on social networks.
veherny
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by veherny »

I think Chris has come the time to meet with people of great musical quality and production. I propose to some people close to Chris names like for example Vince Mendoza an excellent musician and arranged that he has worked in great productions. I think this will have Than to be Chris's next step if he does not want to fall back on himself. I think aloud you will be interested in this or you will want to continue this way.
GREAt hugs
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

I think aloud you will be interested in this or you will want to continue this way

Sometimes I'm confused what you mean Verherny? You as in we as fans? Or do you mean Chris?

Hug,
Anneke
Munich-1983
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by Munich-1983 »

Hi Andrew,

as my nickname says, I am the biggest fan a musician can imagine since 1993. From the first note I have heard in a concert in 83, I was electricised by Chris`Music. I played almost every guitar solo, sung every song, and tried to feel every mood of his songs. But my enthusiasm is a bit overused in the last years. I hardly can´t recognise the poet that wrote songs like "Reasons", "Out of the darkness", "Seabird" or "Just passing through". And even on stage (and i participated in more than 20 concerts) the spark does noch jump across to the audience for a long time. It would be really desirable, if Chris could open himself a little bit on stage and talk with the audience which comes not for this strange new songs, but in a deep, long-standing affinity to his personality as artist.