The man The voice The guitar

Next blues project (release 2016??)

Stop the presses
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Next blues project (release 2016??)

Post by MRB »

Oh man I'm really waiting the next blues project on which Chris is working at the moment.

My only wish would be that he does with a proper band including real drummer (not a single drum machine sound, PLEASE!!!).

It would also be nice if he would cut the tracks more on live style than over polishing the sound months, many bands do record albums live in studio playing together.....
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Re: Next blues project (release 2016??)

Post by MRB »

Almost a year now when I posted this. No news whatsoever. Wonder what is going on with the project Chris mentioned in some interviews. Is it already over a year from those interviews?
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hello MRB! The latest Chris’s interviews I am aware of are from late April’16 for BBC radios. But indeed, it is over a year since his Abbey Road interviews (Oct’15), where Chris already had been talking on his new projects (3 of them if I do recall). In April he also said that a Christmastime tour is possible. But I have long since got accustomed to when Chris says “new album in fall and tour after Christmas” (or vice versa) it evidentially does not mean “this fall” or “the nearest spring”.

There is an assumption by fans, based on recent activity of Chris’s “team” in social networks (to me – all dumb and inaccurate) regarding references being solely to his old works from Magnet/Warner times, that this is a kind of PR preparation to a forthcoming more pop-oriented album, not a blues or soundtrack project. But these are suggestions only…
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

hello Andrew! yes, anyway it would be good time to get news and new music, silence has been going on too long :)
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Speaking about past-time-oriented album, after La Passione re-take it could be logical of Chris to re-do The Road to Hell album, as he initially intended it to be like - overall concept album, dedicated to social media issues, without inappropriate inclusions of love songs or motorsport themes. I recall it when Chris talked a lot on The Road to Hell concept in the interviews back in 1991(BBC1 Classic Albums by Richard Skinner) and 1999 (Planet Rock Profiles) he said he regrets not doing "Side 2" of The Road to Hell concept album, because of compromise with the label on the contents - Side 1 with the concept and Side 2 with "just Chris Rea" (which eventually got completely mixed up, even with songs planned for Auberge). Looking at what other artists successfully do, e.g. Mike Oldfied who has recently relese his highly acclaimed Return to Ommadawn and plans Tubular Bells IV release, Chris could do something like The Road to Hell Revisited album. He only wants blues now? No problem, he himself has been persuading that the beginning of The Road to Hell song is clearly a spiritual gospel!
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

I want to hear all new music, remakes does not interest me, I don´t even have the new La Passione.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Well, speaking about parallels with Oldfield - his Return to Ommadawn and Tubular Bells sequels are all-new albums, without even samples of old recordings, but are loosely based on the old concepts. This is what I meant for Chris - a blues-oriented concept album based on the issues of The Road to Hell initial concept. This could consist of both then-unreleased songs and the all-new material.

I have not yet bought the new La Passione either, even have no digital download of new songs from it, though I really love the original 1996 album and concept.
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

The man has so much talent, I don´t want him to dance around with old projects, remakes or concepts, just bring all new music already :)
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

I would rather disagree with you. Over the years Chris has produced so much music and many ideas that were either underrated and unnoticed or not known even by fans, so it could be wise of Chris to do a correctly balanced look back. As an avid fan who has been doing a big job of systematisation and research for Chris's official and unofficial records, I have a big project in mind of proper reissues of Chris's old albums and performances, which would consist of such rare stuff that it would be perceived as all-new material (or even better, since it is "good old Chris", not the blues) as it is mostly unknown, even with advent of YouTube and torrents.
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

and I disagree, let the old stuff be and do new music, what is done is done. and people who wants to find his old catalogue simply should just buy the old stuff.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

No, the thing is just buying the old stuff does not help being capable of listening to it in proper quality. I listened to loads of old B-sides and outtakes on 7'' and 12'' and not only most of them are in terrible condition for a proper digital copy, but even when the condition is good, the music itslef needs deep and proper remastering, especially mid 80s stuff! That is why most people avoid this music even though it is now available on YouTube. I don't even mention live recordings, which need not a proper release, but just any official release!

On the contrary, the new music Chris has been recently releasing is long since far from excellent quality as regards production and mastering. That is why I would rather get an official live album or an outtakes compilation with thoroughly reworked sound engineering than an all-new but again under-produced album.

Chris himself also does not like to get back together with his old stuff (however, not rarely he does, nevertheless - on tours he does it even excessively) saying what's done is done and iI must admit I do not like this attitude that much.
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

that is why Chris should do the new music with a proper band, and outside producer. and no any computer sounds. with that recipe he could do a master piece.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Yes, with that I do agree, but what must pretend him from doing that is most likely trying to save money and keeping the control of the entire process which he has been always saying he deeply lacked. I can understand him as a human but not as a musician being a careful listener and convoisseur. Chris never had a bad band, but often had a not so good producer - himself. Jon Kelly was told to have taken part in Santo Spirito production but it must have benn a very, very small part as the effect of his acclaimed job is almost unnoticeable...
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

I really hate the fact that Chris is himself shooting his album releases down with doing everything himself without producer and musicians. Santo Spirito for example would be a whole different album, now it is actually bad one.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

I see it as a sort of saying "I am tired of being told what to do, now f##k you all, I do what I want the way I see it". But it became also a kind of "f##k you" to the listeners as well and does not correlate with Chris's alleged perfectionism, which has been puzzling me since 2007 Fool If You Think It's Over compilation. Okay, on his blues roots projects he really needed "f##king cheap sound" to reproduce the atmosphere of old blues records. It also worked well for The Delmonts, but further on that approach seems quite inappropriate, especially the video/soundtracks projects.