The man The voice The guitar

Next blues project (release 2016??)

Stop the presses
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Re: Next blues project (release 2016??)

Post by MRB »

Hard to tell what kind of a perfectionism we are talking about if something like Santo Spirito gets released with the awful plastic drum machine sound.....
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Exactly, that's the thing: no hint of perfectionism on recent records - I am referring to Warner era when even the simple pop-oriented tunes with minimum band on The Blue Café and King of the Beach sounded technically inpeccable because of proper production and engineering. The biggest problem is engineering I think, even not production. Chris is not Oldfield to succeed in doing everything by himself. So strange he is so ignorant to this evident fact.
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

Yeah, Chris should concentrate on what he does best, writes good songs, sings them with that amazing husky voice and plays great slide guitar. On everything else he should hire whoever is needed, a great drummer, bassist or other musician, producer, engineer etc. He should not settle for self made mediocre if he is such an perfectionist. And the thing is, if he just would take a chance on that he could do that master piece many of us knows he could do if he only lets himself to do it.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Yes, you are right, Chris's perfectionism refers first and foremost to his writing and singing and guitar playing: he says he hates to listen to his own stuff as he always wants to change something so he lets other people (engineers and producers) deal with that. This seems to be a perfect combination (when Chris's performance is controlled by people he trusts).
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

Now he has said that he does not want to "make just another album with 10-12 tracks", but it´s been 13 years when he last time made just regular album (Blue Jukebox), I think at this point he could step away from the boxset / movie projects and do regular album. He has been away from them quite a long time that maybe now he could make one with refreshed mind. Big projects, movies etc does take a toll out of him so that he doesn´t have time to concentrate those qualities he has when he has so much in his hands and mind. Regular album at this point could be fresh experience to him, get them dozen songs and group of musicians and greate great music as a tight group.
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hi Guys,
My guess is according to his latest interviews, a Blues album with Gospel.
He bought new Blues Guitars. And that would be wonderful, since I like that a lot!
What would you expect after these interviews?
Anneke
You're never to old to dance!
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

I've read all your comments. I think all the Trivia you find on Social Media is fun, but just small things to keep us satisfied.I don't see a consistency in the posting or tweets.
Promises they did so far, i haven't seen results yet. A big prop from his Tour was meant as a gift to a fan. Did it ever happen I don't think so. The #AskChrisRea has never been done.
So just nonsense.
The last thing he said about his next project, it was meant to be a Blues Album, with Gospel influences. His voice works good with that. Not my words. And he did buy new blues guitars. I would love new music and I would appreciate some old songs done as they were meant to be. And a good producer, YES please!
I like the albums he did in 2003 Jazz and Blues. So lets hope we don't have to wait to long. But you never know.
So we keep on waiting and hoping, although I think it has been a long time he didn't do a Tour every 2 years.
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

Hi Ann268, yeah think the blues album with gospel would be great. not so sure is the boxset approach needed, just album would be great. and like we talked with Andrew, it must be done with musicians, outside producer and engineer, without computer sounds and there could be a master piece.
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hi MRB
It's the last thing he said before he started hibernating again. I've heard nothing of him, but that photo that was from Caterham Cars, on Facebook. To me he looked like a painter in the clothing he was wearing. So I would not be suprised if he makes more than just an album.In 2003 he did several Blues and Jazz things, maybe it will be something like that. I guess it will be a bit more. I have the feeling no DVD, it's not fitting with the Blues/Gospel theme. Just my thoughts. :)
Anneke
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

MRB wrote:the blues album with gospel would be great. not so sure is the boxset approach needed, just album would be great. and like we talked with Andrew, it must be done with musicians, outside producer and engineer, without computer sounds and there could be a master piece.
I recall Chris was said to have been trying to release a blues(-oriented) album since late 80s (as he said in interviews form those times). But the label(s) would never let him do that, though a decent percentage of blues-inspired records you can hear almost every album and Banana Skin seems to have the greatest percentage. The Blue Cafe was told to be intented as a blues album, but being forced by the lable after La Passione flop Chris has to re-do it as a pop-oriented instead. But it could be absolutely awsome to get an entirely blues-oriented album with early 90s band (Max, Robert, Sylvin, Martin) and also those-times engineers (Neil Amor, Stuart Epps, Justin Shirley-Smith) and producers (Jon Kelly, Paul Lilly) and live brass and strings and backing singers. That would obviously be a REAl masterpiece.
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

King of the beach has some songs that could fit in those ideas too. And 90thies Blues....
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

I don´t want to have brass section and backgroud singers, just tight band, let´s say guitars, bass, drums, piano. Maybe some harmonica too, but Chris ain´t great enough harmonica player so maybe he should hire real harmonica player too :)

He has now means to release blues album with his own label, so no need to worry about them big labels trying to pull strings.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

I think the only reason for Chris to release a "normal" pop-oriented album, not a blues box set, is if he is friends again with Warner (he must have been talking to them a lot while working on La Passione retake). While he sticks to his independence, he will continue releasing blues and soundtracks with a small addition of contemporary songsso that they could sell better.

I really hope Chris changed his management after all since I have been doubting its existence for a decade I think.
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

he doesn´t have to make pop album, he can make regular album that is blues album. blues project doesn´t have to be always boxset.
andrew fischer wrote:I think the only reason for Chris to release a "normal" pop-oriented album, not a blues box set, is if he is friends again with Warner (he must have been talking to them a lot while working on La Passione retake). While he sticks to his independence, he will continue releasing blues and soundtracks with a small addition of contemporary songsso that they could sell better.

I really hope Chris changed his management after all since I have been doubting its existence for a decade I think.
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Andrey, Scott McBurney is mentioned in La Passione as being his management through Jazzee Blue. That name doesn't ring a bell, I don't know him. And a guy Mastering all recordings. A Tim Robinson.