The man The voice The guitar

'La Passione' 2 CD and 4 DVD earbook release 2015

Stop the presses
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Re: 'La Passione' 2 CD and 4 DVD earbook release 2015

Post by ace of hearts »

The interview on radio Suffolk is on here for 28 days. Starts at 51.45 .. & Pt2 at 1.46.30 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p036cr37#play Enjoy :-) He reveals he was ill again for 8 weeks at the start of the year, he still sits every day and plays guitar or piano, music is his life, and that he is already on with two new projects, another ear book with a different slant on the slide guitar style, but wont reveal his other project incase it gets nicked !.
could this be true, could this be me..
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ace of hearts wrote:The interview on radio Suffolk is on here for 28 days. Starts at 51.45 .. & Pt2 at 1.46.30 http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p036cr37#play Enjoy :-) He reveals he was ill again for 8 weeks at the start of the year, he still sits every day and plays guitar or piano, music is his life, and that he is already on with two new projects, another ear book with a different slant on the slide guitar style, but wont reveal his other project incase it gets nicked !.
Hello again,

listened to Radio Suffolk interview carefully 2 times, great that Chris finally told something really new, but sad he still does not care about numbers and dates at all, and misleads the audience by this.

- he says he was ill in the beginning of this year, that he had 2 operations and 8 weeks recovery and missed all the racing springtime, but it is 100% true that he raced 3 weekends in late March, April and early May, but did not appear on summertime races and only came back to track in September. Thus, I am pretty sure he became ill in May, not in the winter, which must have prevented him from participating in spring races.

- Chris tells that he first came to record at Abbery Road studios 25 years ago (1990) but in recent (Dec 2013) interview about Driving Home for Chritmas writing story, he reveals that it was 1986 that he was first recording at Abbey Road and Driving Home was one of the first songs he worked on there.

- не says he has been on his own (without major record labels) since 1998, in fact he left Warner in 2000 and first album on Jazzee Blue label (founded in 1995) was released in 2002.

- for the 2nd time (the 1st was on the Loose Women in Sep 2009) Chris says that Blue Guitars earbook is 8 CDs while actually there are 11 CDs. I can undersatnd that he may put the wrong year or number from a period of decades ago, but how could he forget what exactly had he done just some year ago? If he puts the wrong numbers deliberately (Why??), I cannot understand it either...

Chris mentions Max Middleton orchestration works on THE NEW La Passione, but I assume it regards only the remastered old recordings from mid 90s where Max was the orchestration conductor. Chris also says he took some bits of music that had been rejected from the original soundtrack and added some MORE ITALIAN ORCHESTRA. From the track listing on Amazon I may assume that it concerns only the brand new music for the documentary films.

Best wishes
Andrey
Last edited by andrew fischer on 11 Nov 2015, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hi Andrey,

He has been ill and thats means treatment.
Whether it's cancer or this auto imune disease he ever said he had, it is treated as cancer.
Treatment for cancer does a lot to memory and the body. People can be very tired also.
It's not unlikely he just was ill in the beginning of the year and missing things, because of his treatment.
He isn't healthy, I'm in aw that I saw him for 4 times now, thinking it might be the last time.
He goes on and doesn't really look back (he sais that in this interview too), busy with the next project.
Live can be too short, so I guess it's just that.
I think his life isn't easy and he doesn't care for the past, just the future.

Best wishes,
Anneke
You're never to old to dance!
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi Anneke,

you are absolutely right in your thinking on it,

but as we see sometimes Chris does look back and reworks the thigs he had done 20 years ago (I mean La Passione). Also he remebers many things from his past very well and describes them in details, he is just careless about numbers and dates.

In another interview, from Mallory Park racing cirquit, Chris tells the same about being ill and operated at the start of the year. He also mentions his works on the new project (as well as he does at Jools Holland show) and says he bought 2 new slide guitars, and apparently is going to expreriment with them.

By the way, I hear him playing slide guitar in the bridge of Be-Bop-a-Lula from Jools's show, and it really sounds unusual, but Chris's playing technique is recognizable. Maybe it is one of his new guitars.

BTW, in Jools's show Chris clearly states that the new La Passione is still about little boy, but not an abstract Jo Maldini anymore but Chris himself back in 1961. In Radio Suffolk show he recalls his reaction to the news about Von Trips being killed in the race. So I am almost 100% sure the new film will be autobiographical, not semi-autobiographical (based on Chris's memories and childhood dreams) as the old one. In the Mallory Park interview Chris announces there one-hour films on 2 DVDs. So the old film with the plot is surely not in the package.

Cannot wait to find out which of our assumptions were true.

best regards
Andrey
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

New projects are really the best news, especially that slide project! Sad thing there is no telling which year those are supposed to be released. Hopefully Chris stays healthy to be able to work with his projects and also release them.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

MRB wrote:New projects are really the best news, especially that slide project! Sad thing there is no telling which year those are supposed to be released. Hopefully Chris stays healthy to be able to work with his projects and also release them.
Hi MRB, I am pretty sure the new earbook with slide experiments will come out next fall. As Chris mentions it in the 3rd interview in a row, I may judge it is almost ready.

By the way, Chris says he works on the new music at home, but no one knows where does he live now. And yes, I hope that he will bring all his home0-made demos to Abbey Road or another big studios and not leave them as they are. Just listened to the old tunes from La Passione and was fascinated by the quality of their production in comparison to the recent recordings, even though they do contain synthesizers and drum machines.
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

Well, it could easily take to 2017, The Man is famous of taking his time with releases in these days.....

Yes, sure hope he uses real band instead of home recordings......
andrew fischer wrote:Hi MRB, I am pretty sure the new earbook with slide experiments will come out next fall. As Chris mentions it in the 3rd interview in a row, I may judge it is almost ready.

By the way, Chris says he works on the new music at home, but no one knows where does he live now. And yes, I hope that he will bring all his home0-made demos to Abbey Road or another big studios and not leave them as they are. Just listened to the old tunes from La Passione and was fascinated by the quality of their production in comparison to the recent recordings, even though they do contain synthesizers and drum machines.
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Hi all,

@Andrey, you wrote:
Chris tells that he first came to record at Abbery Road studios 25 years ago (1990) but in recent (Dec 2013) interview about Driving Home for Chritmas writing story, he reveals that it was 1986 that he was first recording at Abbey Road and Driving Home was one of the first songs he worked on there.
I may be wrong but I think the first time Chris was in the Abbey Road Studios was even already in 1981 when recording his eponymous album.

Cheers,
Tobi
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

tobi777 wrote: @Andrey, you wrote:
Chris tells that he first came to record at Abbery Road studios 25 years ago (1990) but in recent (Dec 2013) interview about Driving Home for Chritmas writing story, he reveals that it was 1986 that he was first recording at Abbey Road and Driving Home was one of the first songs he worked on there.
I may be wrong but I think the first time Chris was in the Abbey Road Studios was even already in 1981 when recording his eponymous album.
Thanks a lot, Tobias! You are absolutely correct, here is the prooflink where Abbey Road is amongst the studios used for recording 1981/82 Chris Rea album (I would rather say "nameless", not eponymous, as Chris gave up to fight for its contents and cover art and left all these things to Magnet rec.): http://www.discogs.com/Chris-Rea-Chris- ... se/1865588

I recall that in the same interview Chris told that Driving Home was written (and, as we now see, recorded, too) long before its first official release, right when Chris was having major troubles with Magnet and thought of quitting the showbiz, then he was still residing in Middlesbrough and travelled to and from London for recording. Thus, things fall into place very well.

I could not find more info on Chris's recordings at Abbey Road except 2009 sessions for Valentino orchestration.
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Thanks Andrej for the confirmation.
When I came home I also had a look into the booklet of this album and saw that a lot of studios have been used besides Abbey Road: Air Studios, Chipping Norton, Bray, Odyssey.

BTW: I'll never understand why this album is so underrated and it never got much attention - I think it is among the best albums Chris has ever done. Perfectly produced by Jon Kelly with a lot of studio pros like Ray Cooper, Katie Kissoon, Pete Wingfield and also his future band members.

And the songs can't be so bad even from Chris' point of view - otherwise he wouldn't have recycled "When You Know That Your Love Has Died" and "Guitar Street" on later albums.

The bass line of "Loving You" by Bruce Lynch is also top notch.

Thanks also - as always - for the discussion!
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Hi Andrey!
By the way, I hear him playing slide guitar in the bridge of Be-Bop-a-Lula from Jools's show, and it really sounds unusual, but Chris's playing technique is recognizable. Maybe it is one of his new guitars.
I actually had an impression that Chris didn't play at all, the picture showed him without his guitar, prepared just to sing. And a good guitarist can imitate his style. But maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, I loved the song :)
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

elangelo wrote:Hi Andrey!
I actually had an impression that Chris didn't play at all, the picture showed him without his guitar, prepared just to sing. And a good guitarist can imitate his style. But maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, I loved the song :)
Hi Elangelo,
nice to see you back here on the forum, yes, at first I also thought (under the impression of the photos below) Chris only provided vocals, and it is Jools's band guitarist, Mark Flanagan, who played the bridge, but after several listenings and Chris's words about new guitars I have changed my mind. But maybe I am wrong, too.

Pictures are taked from official BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p031vlq0/p034sj3g
tobi777 wrote:I'll never understand why this album is so underrated and it never got much attention - I think it is among the best albums Chris has ever done. Perfectly produced by Jon Kelly with a lot of studio pros like Ray Cooper, Katie Kissoon, Pete Wingfield and also his future band members. And the songs can't be so bad even from Chris' point of view - otherwise he wouldn't have recycled "When You Know That Your Love Has Died" and "Guitar Street" on later albums.
I also do not understand why this album is so underrated by the public and the media, maybe the promotion was poor due to low belief in Chris's success, but the production is great and songs are too. But I can understand why Chris does not love this album - because it is too little of himself on this album, it is obviously too polished and overproduced, quite not in the way Chris intended it to be, flooded with session musicians, etc. Chris even almost never played any songs from this album live, only Every Beat of My Heart springs to mind.

best regards and thanks to you for the discussion in return!
Andrey
jlandon033
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by jlandon033 »

In response to the several comments about the self-titled "Chris Rea" album I too think is a lovely little album. The production on that album is top notch, the songs are interesting (very introspective/reflective), the musicianship is top rate, the vocals are fantastic as usual, and there is slide guitar all over that album.

Every time I hear "Loving You" I get kind of a haunted feeling. I swear I heard that song in 1982 when I was in college but I can't exactly remember the time and place.

As far as it's popularity it's hard to put a finger on why things flop and what becomes successful. Even Chris himself and his record company where massively surprised at the success of the single and album The Road To Hell. It's a crapshoot. Obviously the self titled album did not have any obvious hit's like say "Jessie's Girl" ( a big hit around the same time) but it's got some really fine songs on it (Loving You, If You Choose To Go, Runaway, & Little Columbus are personal favorites).

Half the problem is Chris himself. He doesn't promote his music from this time at all. Quite the opposite in that he is quite dismissive of his music from this time frame. I don't think he does a very good job of separating his dissatisfaction with the business and his struggle to have things exactly his way as opposed to the fact that there was some very good music composed during those same times.

Take for example the song Fool(If You Think It's Over). The song is a minor classic and is even played on American 70's/AOR format radio stations to this day, but Chris doesn't have a kind word to say about that first version of the song. The version of the song on the New Lights album is really good but it's nowhere near as good as the original version. IMHO! The 1978 version of the song itself it's still "Chris Rea"! It's his composition, his voice, & his sentiments. Just because it wasn't recorded at the same tempo & key that he intended and lacks his slide guitar that doesn't make it garbage.

Joe

Joe
ace of hearts
REAddict
REAddict

Post by ace of hearts »

Had my 'dispatched' email from Amazon - :D :D :D :D
could this be true, could this be me..
MRB
guitaREA
guitaREA

Post by MRB »

After you have got it, please tell us all your review of the product and tell something new of it which has not been known so far :)

And all the others who will get it in next few days, share your comments on it as well :)

Thanks!
ace of hearts wrote:Had my 'dispatched' email from Amazon - :D :D :D :D