The man The voice The guitar

A new Tour "last open Road

Stop the presses
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Re: A new Tour "last open Road

Post by elangelo »

andrew fischer wrote:I assume their vocals can also be heard in the song Baby Don't Cry from The Blue Jukebox album
I think that must have been Sarah Randle (they cooperated at that time), but it's very interesting information anyway! Looks like you're in the management there Andrey :lol:
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

elangelo wrote:I think that must have been Sarah Randle (they cooperated at that time)
Yes, you are right, it is highly probable, but it seems Sarah has the lower/deeper voice than can be heard in that song. BTW, I reckon it is the newest song by Chris for the moment in which female vocals are used.
elangelo wrote:Looks like you're in the management there Andrey :lol:
You know, I really wish I was (though not sure I could bear it all, ha!). Then maybe there was another tour schedule and a fresher set listing ))) The sad think is no one from Chris's current management seems to care of what the fans demand or what Chris does upon his tours. Though Chris claims he plays the same old hits as recommended by the promoter, I am sure it is never true. He is long since his own boss and can play whatever he wants, regardless of somebody's wishes, if he ever did count on that.

BTW, yesterday I listened to the 1st part of Amsterdam gig recording and all the songs appear in faster tempo than in the beginning of the tour, even such initially slow numbers as Easy Rider, 61 & 49 and Stony Road. It feels like Chris is doing that to make the gig with the same set list become shorter as he becomes too tired by its end.

best regards
Andrey
My VK fan page for Chris Rea in Russian: http://vk.com/chris_rea
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

I'm sure he will tire soon, he played about 75 minutes I estimate, maybe 80.
He showed to be full of energy and had fun. The band played in good tempo with him. They are good together.
But you could see his sweat dripping of him during a solo.
Next link is Zürich, if you look you'll see almost the whole gig of this online by the same uploader.
Ann

2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DKQpL9DbYJD0%26index%3D9%26list%3DPLUimt6kTCaa_0Ybyh88QQVRsxW5ufqlSo&h=JAQF8G7iT
You're never to old to dance!
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Thank you Anneke,

here is the correctly working link to watch the full video, in pretty high quality:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... sxW5ufqlSo

BTW, it seems to be shot and posted by a Russian concert-goer (nickname Fetisov45), who lives in Switzerland.

best regards
Andrey
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Thanks that works as one gig!
Ann
ronald
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by ronald »

ann268 wrote:I'm sure he will tire soon, he played about 75 minutes I estimate, maybe 80.
All concert recordings i have so far of this tour vary between 1:30 and 1:36.
My Chris Rea page: http://www.chrisrea.biz
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

With or without the outro Ronald? He finished with the outro in 1.45 minutes. Without 10 minutes earlier.
Don't have the stick yet, ordered it at Bleecker.com. On it's way.
Ann
ronald
super REA-fan
super REA-fan

Post by ronald »

Without the outro, solely all 15 tracks.
My Chris Rea page: http://www.chrisrea.biz
Müfo
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by Müfo »

Hey Ronald,

can you recomment a concert to download so far? I got the one from Mannheim, its great but probably there are better ones out there? I saw some youtube stuff from Paris, the audicnce seemed to be very enthusiastic there..but sadly off all concerts this one is not downloadable? :-(
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Hi everyone, here is a fresh English article on Chris entering the UK leg of the tour.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/whats-on/m ... ng-8184676

The article is generally good, but it is comprised of the trivia and Chris's cites from different times and sources and thus contains same old deceptive information which I would like to comment on.

"He soon went on to perform in various bands, including one in which he replaced David Coverdale who later formed Whitesnake, and also played on a Hank Marvin solo album."

I wonder when this mistake will be wiped off all the general public souces like Wikipedia, Allmusic, etc. One more time, Chris NEVER replaced Coverdale in a band called Magdalene, it is just a chain of poorly linked coincidences. Dave had nothing to do with the bands Chris was playing in. And on Hank Marvin 1977 release it is Chris RAE (jazz bassist) who feautures on the record, not Chris REA.

"“Fool If You Think It’s Over is still the only song I’ve ever not played guitar on, but it just so happened to be my first single, and it just so happened to be a massive hit. It was in the US Top 10 for seven weeks.”"

I heard Chris telling this in the well-known Sky TV interview from Apr 2008. I could agree if he told that Fool is the only HIT song he initially had not played guitar on, but Chris wrote and played quite a lot of non-guitar songs thoughout his career.

"“We’re playing all the old hits on this coming tour,” he says. “But most are new versions of the old songs. We tend to tweak and mess about with them. We’ve just got a new version of On The Beach sorted, which is half reggae.”"

For the record, Chris has been playing the 'new' reggae version of On the Beach since 2002. Yes, it has been changing slightly over the years, but the general way it is played remains the same for over a decade. And all the other old hits he keeps on playing, have different versions each new tour and vary slightly from gig to gig through a tour. So these are again the words 'just to say something.'

"In 2001, he was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and had his pancreas removed."

Why no one ever cares of at least correct year of a case? Chris's major operation took place in summer of 2000, in May 2001 he was already touring again.

Okay, I shall change the key. Anyone who attended the gig in Amsterdam, do you remember which guitar Chris used for The Morning Sun? Maybe my ear deceives me, but it seems to be the Bluey Strat! Anyway, it was 100% neither Thinline nor Italia as before. Maybe 'sunburst' battered Strat?..

Thanks for the answers and best regards
Andrey
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

Hi Andrey,

See the pics I sent you, no 748, than you have your answer I believe.

Best wishes,
Anneke
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

ann268 wrote:Hi Andrey,

See the pics I sent you, no 748, than you have your answer I believe.

Best wishes,
Anneke
Hi Anneke,

thanks a lot for this quick response, okay now I see it is not Bluey (though I recall it present on a photo from this tour) but the 'sunburst' Strat tuned in E straight just like in Josephine, Julia, Looking for the Summer and On the Beach (before this tour). Previosly Chris used Fender telecaster Thinline or brown-grey-sliver Italia tuned in open D accordig to the original key of The Morning Sun. Thus, the same unexpected change in tune and guitar just like with On the Beach.

So that now Chris does not change guitars playing the sequences of Morning Sun/Julia/Looking for the Summer and Stainsby/RTH/OTB/Let's Dance. Did he fire his new guitar technician in order to save money?..

Thanks Chris, keep on suprprising us anyway!

best regards
Andrey
ann268
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by ann268 »

He did change guitars less as usual, maybe that's why everything is so thight and has quit an uptempo in it.
I remember which songs he did and don't know all the names of his guitars, but can refer back to these pictures.
Only pinky and bluey. But if you follow the sequence in the pictures, you can see he has the same guitar for quit a while.
Road to hell are all the red pics in a sequence. He didn't use pinky, like in Sochi.
So yes he did things differently.
And 60 is the new 30, man I keep reading that everywhere in the UK articles.
It's Chris his state of mind at the moment it seems.
Anneke
hi it'sme
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by hi it'sme »

Hi,
it is really amazing how Chris seemed to have used different guitars for different songs on each gig.
As I also have taken shots for every song in Hannover I can follow his use there.
For those who are interested, here is the Hannover list:

Last Open Road: a Hofner( ? - that's at least what the logo on the headstock says) with red-brown body and yellow side and black pickguard and headstock as for the first song in 2012
Long Gone: Italia Blue Maranello
Where the Blues Come From: gold-brownish speckled Fender Strat
Josephine: Italia Blue
Easy Rider: Italia Blue
Morning Sun: maplewood Fender Thinline
Julia: gold-brownish speckled Fender Strat
Looking For The summer: as above
Stony Road: Italia Blue
Come So Far, Yet... Italia Blue
Highway 61 & 49: Italia Blue
Stainsby Girls: Pinky
Road to Hell: Pinky
On the Beach: Pinky
Let's Dance: Bluey
So it comes to 6 different guitars for that gig.

Best regards to all.

Correction, written December 16th:

Thanks to Andrey and with help of my Bleekerstreet USB-stick I checked my photos again and found that
Where the Blues Come From was indeed played on Italia Blue and
Josephine on the Brown Fender Strat.
The Last Open Road was played on Maranello Classic (anyone any idea about the golden logo on the headstock?)
Sorry about my mistakes - the rest of the list is correct.
Thank you very much, Andrey, for your friendly assistance!

Regards to all.
Last edited by hi it'sme on 16 Dec 2014, 10:14, edited 1 time in total.
andrew fischer
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by andrew fischer »

Thanks a lot for this information!
hi it'sme wrote: Last Open Road: a Hofner( ? - that's at least what the logo on the headstock says) with red-brown body and yellow side and black pickguard and headstock as for the first song in 2012
Hm, this is quite a surprise for me, I assumed Italia was used everywhere for this song... In Paris it was 100% brownish Maranello Classic. Maybe you can double-check...
hi it'sme wrote: Where the Blues Come From: gold-brownish speckled Fender Strat
Josephine: Italia Blue
I am quite sure you mixed up these two - vice versa, Where the Blues on Italia, Josephine on Strat.
hi it'sme wrote: Morning Sun: maplewood Fender Thinline
In Amsterdam Thinline in open D was substituted with 'sunburst' Strat tuned in straight E, the same as used for Josephine and Julia.
hi it'sme wrote: Road to Hell: Pinky
On the Beach: Pinky
This is the main surprise, The Road to Hell began to be played again on Pinky from Sochi concert, after 13-year gap, and On the Beach is in E now and played in open tuning on Pinky which Chris never did before (it was always played on Bluey from 1986 till 2001 and on grey-silver Italia from 2002 till 2006, in 2008-2012 it was played on 'sunburst' Strat.
hi it'sme wrote: Let's Dance: Bluey
Also a bit of surprise and a change in tuning again, previously Chris always used Pinky for this song (though I am not sure, maybe he used Bluey as well for some old performances).

Thanks again for the survey,

best regards
Adnrey