german interview

Stop the presses
Jutta
Translator
Translator

german interview

Post by Jutta »

Hi all,
here is another interview in german: http://www.stz-online.de/teleschau/musi ... 75,1041655

Can someone help to translate again please? I am always on the run - sorry :?

Bart, you could establish a column "interviews" (?). So we could find them more quickly later on.

Jutta
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Re: german interview

Post by elangelo »

Some interesting facts from the interview:
Valentino really is a dog :D ; Chris admits that "The Return of..." was commercially unsuccessful, but it was planned as something the musicians would like to play rather than what the audience would love to hear (he also mentioned the confusion of the Russian audience when they heard the Delmonts, and I can remember that as I was there!). Strange enough, they also said that the "Blue Guitars" wasn't successful, and I always thought that it sold enough copies.
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

elangelo wrote:Some interesting facts from the interview:
Valentino really is a dog :D ; Chris admits that "The Return of..." was commercially unsuccessful, but it was planned as something the musicians would like to play rather than what the audience would love to hear (he also mentioned the confusion of the Russian audience when they heard the Delmonts, and I can remember that as I was there!). Strange enough, they also said that the "Blue Guitars" wasn't successful, and I always thought that it sold enough copies.
Hi all; I hope you're not snowed-in in the first days of January, 2010, are you?
Thank you Elangelo for summarizing some of the main points in this interesting interview.
Speaking further about "Valentino" it's worth mentioning, perhaps, that it was Josephine who rescued the small dog in Florence, Italy, and had taken him to England. Otherwise, Valentino would end up a bait for the fighting dogs.
The two commercially unsuccessful projects (the "Blue Guitars" and "The Return of...") only confirmed what some of us on this forum have been suspecting from the beginning, namely that it was risky to publish these two albums and that Chris suffered financially.
The German big concerts' impresario (who could this possibly be?, Marek Lieberberg?) suggested to Chris to "play simple music not the blues" and it's interesting Chris admitted now that he got this important piece of advice. This, in turn, confirms the simple truth: Chris Rea - more or less - had been forced to return to the "main stream" of his music. I mean: "forced" by managers, tour operators, record companies' executives and such.
Important in this interview was also the news that Chris had started working on "the next new project"; a DVD. But he stopped from revealing any other details.
He also explained why he never recorded a live album. He said he didn't want to listen to his voice ("it's too low" for him) and he said he wished he had Sting's (Gordon Matthew Sumner's) voice, so he could record all his hits and keep on singing like Sting. "How easily I could sing those pop lines of my", he said.
Take care,
Chris
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Jutta wrote:Hi all,
here is another interview in german: http://www.stz-online.de/teleschau/musi ... 75,1041655

Can someone help to translate again please? I am always on the run - sorry :?

Bart, you could establish a column "interviews" (?). So we could find them more quickly later on.

Jutta
This is a mechanical, on-line translation:

German to English translationShow romanization
Rock star Chris Rea about the joys of Christmas, the healing power of music and his deep voice
"I would like Sting's voice"
Rock / Pop
Stefan Woldach (tele look - the mediendienst)
From the end of January, he sets out on extended tour in Germany, recently published a "Best Of" Album: Chris Rea reports back. Not, of course, had the now 58-year-old Briton but in the meantime has already celebrated his departure from the stage to commercially unsuccessful attempts at blues projects. In the interview, the grand master of the guitar rock kept talking about the healing power of music, commercial flops, and songs about small dogs.

Looking forward to his upcoming tour in Germany: Singer / songwriter and blues guitarist Chris Rea.
Picture: Mike Hill / Warner Music
tele look: A "Best Of" album is always a look back. What are the special moments, given the track list you go through your mind?

Chris Rea: I know exactly where and when I wrote a song. I bring it back to colleagues and fans always wonder. Take 'Joys Of Christmas': I will never forget this Christmas Eve. My father had a small ice cream shop in Middlesborough, where I worked as a child a few hours. I heard on the street a couple of carol singers and walked out the door - and it was really hopeless in our region: All garbage lying around, empty bottles and two guys just beating their noses bloody. Merry Christmas? It was simply irony. I later wrote this song about the "real Christmas" in the working-class town of Middlesborough - there is in fact nothing to do with Santa Claus, elves and reindeer. This is a special song for me.

tele look: You have written for the "Best Of" two brand new tracks ...

Rea: Right. The first song is called "Still So Far to Go ...", this is a story about how it will probably only present in the music business. I had offered my record company, I suggest a song title, and I would write them a piece of it. I said, 'Go off and got me and my band something to eat. And if you come back, the song is finished. I actually wrote this number in less than ten minutes!

tele look: And the song "Valentino"?

Rea: Valentino is a young dog that took my daughter in Florence. That included a couple of guys fighting dogs and should serve as a victim. They would have torn down in less than a minute. Mitkriegte When my daughter, she took the dog secretly brought to England, and a friendly veterinarian then has found a home for Valentino in the country. We do not want to keep him in our house in the city. But the moment when he was gone, it broke my heart. I never thought that I would employ the theme for so long.

tele look: On the album we can possibly "miss Bones Of Angels". It is said that you had the idea during a visit to the Cologne Cathedral, was with thoughts of death and impermanence, as diagnosed her cancer at the millennium ...

Rea: It's one of my personal songs, but he comes from the time before my illness. Some of these songs now have a new meaning. Almost two years I fought for my life and have lost more than 20 kilos of weight. It was a bad time that I have survived only with the love of my wife and two daughters. I still remember the time when I got extremely strong painkillers, which was hooked in no time and even then had to fight this addiction. There were two years where I needed a lot of strength and faith.

tele look: Do you believe in the healing power of music?

Rea: Yes, there is definitely some truth. When I look Songs like "Easy Rider" and "Stony Road" sing, I feel good, as if that was a big hit like "Josephine" and "I Can Hear Your Heartbeat" would be. These were not even the single releases. But they are important to me. And the public likes it also. The only ones who did not like these blues songs, were the people of my record company and concert promoter. The very word "Blues" made her wince. A large German concert promoter even advised me: "Chris, not just play blues!".

tele look: Can Well, we understand the concerns, perhaps, your blues projects "Blue Guitar" and "The Return Of The Fabulous Hofner Blue Notes" were commercial - to put it mildly - whether real flop ...

Rea: That's what I just did its own interests, which was more a labor of love. Even when my manager found that with the "Hofner Blue Notes" is not such a great idea. The whole thing was then yes also a commercial disaster! (laughs) Also performed was not a success. In England, they called in the audience: 'Chris, why do you sing any hits? " And in Russia, people did not understand even more what we were doing. Do not know why the musicians in England at that time and later played Hofner Guitars Les Pauls. But the project was just probably something for musicians than for ordinary fans.

tele look: The attest to your voice, it was like a full-bodied wine that is getting better with age ...

Rea: It's a nice compliment, but I like my vote actually less. I do not like her because she is simply not high enough, I now have time this deep growler. I'd like Sting's voice. He can sing pop songs and joyful choruses. Sometimes I can not. But I will not be dissatisfied, I do not feel really uncomfortable. But this is one of two reasons why I never really wanted to record a live album - but then what I have done so: first, because I never my own guitar solos, and secondly because I never wanted to hear my song! (laughs)

tele look: honest Viewed: What drives you after all these years, still today?

Rea: The love of music. I have already started working on his next project, a DVD, but more I will not tell you yet. Do they know it is the tension if you have a fresh, new idea - that feeling drives me. I can not stop when I begin.