Stop the presses
Tina3
Support
Support

Re: LIVE SESSION VIDEO OF CHRIS

Post by Tina3 »

Hi All
Hi Chris :) ...How are you hope you are keeping well
Chris wrote:I also got "this video is not available in your area" when I tried to play it, but I guess the BBC is blocking all outside users as someone already mentioned it here.
I reckon/HOPE that it is only a matter of time before these videos will be available on Youtube. I can understand the BBC limiting access to British viewers only after all they pay their bills.
Chris wrote:I also think that Chris should play live sessions and record them for future CDs and DVDs. Besides, he always plays the old songs differently.
Chris always sounds better live even at 9 o clock on a Friday morning :)
Chris wrote:As far as reversing himself in his announcements ('from now on only blues' etc.), I'm of the opinion that's part of the deal of being taken back on by the Warner Bros.
I had this thought too and I hope he doesn't change the blues style he does now .Maybe it could be a deal.Some old style material and some blues too. :)
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Tina,
I'm fine, thank you, and I trust you are fine, too. I'm looking forward to CR's concert in Warsaw on February 16, 2010.
I'm glad we have similar opinion about Chris Rea's live music and the reasons why he keeps on playing his 'old' hits.
Ever since I've began listening to him I've been of the opinion that he should be publishing more 'live' albums since every and each of his appearances is different and somehow unique. He keeps on changing his playing style and is "natural" in front of an audience reacting to it accordingly. It's especially noticeable in videos!
Have you noticed that the cover of the new album resembles very much a car race track? In fact, I think, it's a racing track with illuminating it lights, photographed at night, with the fingerboard of the guitar being a leading road to the ring! Very clever, indeed.
Take care,
Chris
poolie
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by poolie »

It really doesn´t matter which way he plays these songs, it´s dead boring to hear always these same ones.
Chris has hundreds of songs in his catalogue, it´s plain boring and shows no inspiration what so ever to do the same ones over and over again.
Sorry Mr B to disagree but just count up the nuber of songs Chris has released since ( and including ) Stony Road.His output since that time has benn phenomenal. Whilst I'd be surprised if Chris said he planned a Best of as his next album I think he is being pragamatic and compromising with this best of as a means of funding the tour, the book and the album for 2010. I for one don't mind hearing again the songs that brought me to his music in the knowledge that the next step is less than 12 months away. Also in recent interviews he says he "lost" 2 albums between analogue and changes to digital (however that might be possible?) so I suspect as he was independent it might have cost him a few quid personally and the Warner helping hand came along at the right time.Still it's only my assumption and I maybe wide of the mark, nevertheless I'll be waiting for his 2 nights in Newcastle next March to remind me of how it all started.

Poolie
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

poolie wrote:
It really doesn´t matter which way he plays these songs, it´s dead boring to hear always these same ones.
Chris has hundreds of songs in his catalogue, it´s plain boring and shows no inspiration what so ever to do the same ones over and over again.
Sorry Mr B to disagree but just count up the nuber of songs Chris has released since ( and including ) Stony Road.His output since that time has benn phenomenal. Whilst I'd be surprised if Chris said he planned a Best of as his next album I think he is being pragamatic and compromising with this best of as a means of funding the tour, the book and the album for 2010. I for one don't mind hearing again the songs that brought me to his music in the knowledge that the next step is less than 12 months away. Also in recent interviews he says he "lost" 2 albums between analogue and changes to digital (however that might be possible?) so I suspect as he was independent it might have cost him a few quid personally and the Warner helping hand came along at the right time.Still it's only my assumption and I maybe wide of the mark, nevertheless I'll be waiting for his 2 nights in Newcastle next March to remind me of how it all started.

Poolie
I can´t understand you people being so pleased to hear over and over again these same songs.
Don´t you understand that this guy has hundres of songs which are better??? Don´t you wanna hear anything else than -. road to hells and josephines??? World is full of music and I don´t wanna waste it to listen these same songs over and over again, -. I have heard them literally thousands of times, both original, mixes, live versions etc....I can´t even come up with the word I´m looking for here to describe this frustration what I feel with Chris doing this over and over again and you fans who are following blindly no matter what he does. We are titled to have more than the usual and easy way of doing concerts, interviews with live music etc. This all doesn´t really have no sense at all, why you all settle for less when you could get so much more with more inspiration and effort of actually doing magical live show with rare and new songs played instead of the usual "let´s play these same old songs and get the easy money out of these suckers"??? I am asking from all of you, are you stupid or what???
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

poolie wrote:
....in recent interviews he says he "lost" 2 albums between analogue and changes to digital (however that might be possible?) so I suspect as he was independent it might have cost him a few quid personally and the Warner helping hand came along at the right time.Still it's only my assumption and I maybe wide of the mark....
Poolie
Hi Poolie and all,

Interesting thread...
We all know that Chris (he admitted it in numerous interviews) had always "written for the drawer" ('in advance', to have something in reserve; 'just in case') so there could be - at least - two periods he might have lost some of his recordings. One would be during the change-over from LP to CD in or around 1984 (that's when he published his best-ever album "On The Beach" which was Chris' first digital format) and the second period just after "The Stony Road" when he wanted to switch to only blues. In both periods the managers of the record companies could have pressed him with their own ideas and that's how (I would imagine) Chris would "lose albums" (not only individual songs), especially since he published his music on several different labels ranging from PolyGram to EW Music (Warner) and from Universal through Edel Records back again to Warner's subsidy (Rheno.)
I believe these 'lost' recording are anyhow preserved somewhere (stashed away), so one day we just might wake up to a surprise with "the long considered 'lost' tapes being published" for the first time. I for one would be very happy if this happened.
Take care,
Chris
Last edited by Chris on 11 Oct 2009, 09:06, edited 2 times in total.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Mr_Blues wrote:[quote

I can´t understand you people being so pleased to hear over and over again these same songs.
Don´t you understand that this guy has hundres of songs which are better??? Don´t you wanna hear anything else than -. road to hells and josephines??? World is full of music and I don´t wanna waste it to listen these same songs over and over again, -. I have heard them literally thousands of times, both original, mixes, live versions etc....I can´t even come up with the word I´m looking for here to describe this frustration what I feel with Chris doing this over and over again and you fans who are following blindly no matter what he does. We are titled to have more than the usual and easy way of doing concerts, interviews with live music etc. This all doesn´t really have no sense at all, why you all settle for less when you could get so much more with more inspiration and effort of actually doing magical live show with rare and new songs played instead of the usual "let´s play these same old songs and get the easy money out of these suckers"??? I am asking from all of you, are you stupid or what???
[/quote][/quote]

Hi Mr Blues and all,

With all due respect, but to publish something with any record company an artist must be in agreement with the managers and such. So, I believe, Chris is being limited to certain 'approved' material with this being the best selling songs. The record companies are not willing to take chances in difficult times, especially when the recession is not over yet and there's no guarantee anything would sell. So, there's your answer: why not other songs but 'old' hit all over again.
With the money generated with this 'best of' Chris will be able to publish 'new' material, his long awaited book as well as possibly finance other projects we all (I believe) are impatiently waiting for. Poolie already wrote about it in a nice, polite way. Please take it from him.
And as far as being Chris Rea fans. Well, we have to compromise; 'we have to settle for less', as you yourself wrote. If only for a while, until new CD next June (2010.)
Take care,
Chris
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Chris wrote:
Hi Mr Blues and all,

With all due respect, but to publish something with any record company an artist must be in agreement with the managers and such. So, I believe, Chris is being limited to certain 'approved' material with this being the best selling songs. The record companies are not willing to take chances in difficult times, especially when the recession is not over yet and there's no guarantee anything would sell. So, there's your answer: why not other songs but 'old' hit all over again.
With the money generated with this 'best of' Chris will be able to publish 'new' material, his long awaited book as well as possibly finance other projects we all (I believe) are impatiently waiting for. Poolie already wrote about it in a nice, polite way. Please take it from him.
And as far as being Chris Rea fans. Well, we have to compromise; 'we have to settle for less', as you yourself wrote. If only for a while, until new CD next June (2010.)
Take care,
I don´t believe that managment and record company are taking part of choosing the songs which Chris is playing on live in his concerts. And I believe that tickets would sell without road to hells and josephines, at least Chris should cut the amount of these songs. Still I don´t get the response to the question which I´m asking, why you agree blindly with the set lists, don´t you wanna have changes on set lists, suprises with rare songs (rare as playing on live) etc???? Why you people nod your heads blindly for the non suprising set lists?

Bruce Springsteen is one name I have brought up, here is something new about his recent gigs, he has started to play whole albums during last shows, changing the album between 2-3 albums which he plays each night. Also he wrote a new song for the series of concerts held in certain venue (which will be demolished). And he still continues doing the thing where he is giving the fans a chance to affect on which songs he is playing (fans shows signs where is the song titles and Bruce picks up songs from there).

Now, I am saying something now, is Chris so lazy that he can´t play any other songs than those which he plays on first gig on his tour??? Can´t they practice new songs, why go with the easy way? Why not have the effort of giving fans suprises, true thrills???

So, once again I´m asking, don´t you people want to have these suprsises from him which i´m pointing out???
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Mr Blues again,
Don't get me wrong, we all would love to be getting from Chris only 'new songs', 'new albums', 'live recordings' etc., but to be able to publish anything he needs - first of all - money! One way or another. I understand that. For new projects paid by himself or by a record company. I still believe his last blues recordings were not selling too well. The blues niche is rather narrow, just like jazz. I have in mind the red earbook. I bought it at the gig in Warsaw alright, but the red album was eventually re-issued as a two CD format, too! It apparently didn't sell well enough to cover the costs. That's why Chris had to shelve now several of his (perhaps?) over-ambitious projects including new earbooks ('Italian blues' and such) and go back to the verified money making mechanisms. It was all calculated, time and over again, before we knew it.
That's why I "settled for less" (to use this cliche once again) for two new song and the best of in anticipation of a brand new album with a better selection of songs next June.
In my case I fill like contributing towards his new projects. It's like payng him some advance money.
I also understand why you would not buy this current album.
Take care,
Chris
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Chris wrote:Hi Mr Blues again,
Don't get me wrong, we all would love to be getting from Chris only 'new songs', 'new albums', 'live recordings' etc., but to be able to publish anything he needs - first of all - money! One way or another. I understand that. For new projects paid by himself or by a record company. I still believe his last blues recordings were not selling too well. The blues niche is rather narrow, just like jazz. I have in mind the red earbook. I bought it at the gig in Warsaw alright, but the red album was eventually re-issued as a two CD format, too! It apparently didn't sell well enough to cover the costs. That's why Chris had to shelve now several of his (perhaps?) over-ambitious projects including new earbooks ('Italian blues' and such) and go back to the verified money making mechanisms. It was all calculated, time and over again, before we knew it.
That's why I "settled for less" (to use this cliche once again) for two new song and the best of in anticipation of a brand new album with a better selection of songs next June.
In my case I fill like contributing towards his new projects. It's like payng him some advance money.
I also understand why you would not buy this current album.
Take care,
Chris
Actually, I ain´t talking about just the new blues material, I´m talking about the fact that IF Chris has to do old songs, why can´t he choose other songs instead of these cliche choises which he chooses???? -., I would be happy to see him doing for example new bluesy versions of his old songs such as Guitar Street, All Summer Long, Windy Town, 90´s Blues (which is blues already but live version heard today would be awesome) etc....I can´t understand why he has to go with the easy route, which is stupid, underestimating us fans, -. boring and not inspirated at all. True musician would put more challenge for himself and his band.

There is no taking risks, trying to put their asses on the line by doing something different.
I´m sure that doing so they would amaze us all and sell even more concert tickets.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Actually, I ain´t talking about just the new blues material, I´m talking about the fact that IF Chris has to do old songs, why can´t he choose other songs instead of these cliche choises which he chooses???? -., I would be happy to see him doing for example new bluesy versions of his old songs such as Guitar Street, All Summer Long, Windy Town, 90´s Blues (which is blues already but live version heard today would be awesome) etc....I can´t understand why he has to go with the easy route, which is stupid, underestimating us fans, -. boring and not inspirated at all. True musician would put more challenge for himself and his band.

There is no taking risks, trying to put their asses on the line by doing something different.
I´m sure that doing so they would amaze us all and sell even more concert tickets.
[/quote]

Hi once more,
Well, although I believe Chris would love to choose to play his 'other' great 'old' songs, I'm also convinced that he has a limited maneuver possibilities. Meaning: he might have picked other songs (we don't know that for sure) but people in music business could have 'pointed out' to the songs they would consider 'right' (versus: 'wrong') for the 'best of." So, in the end it's a matter of give and take and coming to an agreement what to publish.
It's a brutal world out there, you know. Try to talk to John Knowles. He could explain to you a few things...
Take care,
Chris
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi All,
Hi Chris,
yes thanks I am well :)
Chris wrote:That's why I "settled for less" (to use this cliche once again) for two new song and the best of in anticipation of a brand new album with a better selection of songs next June.
In my case I fill like contributing towards his new projects. It's like paying him some advance money.
This makes sense and yes it could be a case like "paying in advance" towards a new album/book next year.
poolie wrote:count up the number of songs Chris has released since ( and including ) Stony Road.His output since that time has been phenomenal. Whilst I'd be surprised if Chris said he planned a Best of as his next album I think he is being pragmatic and compromising with this best of as a means of funding the tour, the book and the album for 2010.

Hi John,
I can see the point in this. Money has to come from somewhere and leaving everything aside these songs are what Chris is known for.
poolie wrote:I'll be waiting for his 2 nights in Newcastle next March to remind me of how it all started.
[/quote]
No Newcastle for me next year John but I have front row seats for Dublin and like you this will remind me how it all started.
I put on that latest album by mistake (if I am honest) and one thing positive I can say about it that it saves me rooting out all the albums that the various songs come from.I'm not happy with this album no more than anyone else but as Chris says it's a compromise and maybe next year things will be better :) :)
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Chris wrote: Hi once more,
Well, although I believe Chris would love to choose to play his 'other' great 'old' songs, I'm also convinced that he has a limited maneuver possibilities. Meaning: he might have picked other songs (we don't know that for sure) but people in music business could have 'pointed out' to the songs they would consider 'right' (versus: 'wrong') for the 'best of." So, in the end it's a matter of give and take and coming to an agreement what to publish.
It's a brutal world out there, you know. Try to talk to John Knowles. He could explain to you a few things...
Take care,
Chris
Jesus Christ, don´t you understand that I ain´t talking about best of collections over here, I´m talking about LIVE GIGS ! I don´t care what god - songs are published in those best of collections as I don´t buy them anymore, so once again, I´m talking about what songs he is playing on live, not about those collections.
And I´m sure Chris can choose the songs played on live gigs, so why not changing setlists and not doing the same old same old over and over again.....
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

Yes, Mr.B., we discussed it a while ago, I don't understand either. I'm not sure I'll go to the concert in 2010 because of that.
But maybe the management is affecting the set list? You know, I remember him talking about him not liking the 1988 version of On The Beach, because it was made to a dance hit - and still he played this version on his gigs up until 1998 - why if he didn't want to? So maybe they're really telling him what to sing, even live. The thing is that we'll never know the truth, even the journalists seem to ask 'right' questions on TV/Radio shows, same questions that we all know answers for. Didn't you notice that?
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....
tobi777
giga REA-fan
giga REA-fan

Post by tobi777 »

Hi all,

I've been to many of Chris' concerts and I was always delighted to hear some surprises (like "Midnight Blue" in '98 or "Looking For The Summer" in '08). I also would like to hear some rare songs live - but I've always had the impression that the majority of "fans" - or let's say: concert-goers - just want to hear the hits.

Many times the atmosphere reminded me of a funeral and only during the encores the audience cheered up because Chris played some songs they knew. Even back in his more successful days hardly anybody cared for gems like "Daytona" or "Set Me Free". The same applies of course for other bands for instance "The Eagles" or "Dire Straits" - although Mark Knopfler seems to have emancipated from his past days and many fans accept his new style and songs and appreciate them just like the old ones.

I keep saying: Chris unfortunately hasn't got so many die-hard fans like Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan have - therefore another best-of just before Christmas is always a sure thing. Sad but true.

REAgards,

Tobi
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

tobi777 wrote:Hi all,

I've been to many of Chris' concerts and I was always delighted to hear some surprises (like "Midnight Blue" in '98 or "Looking For The Summer" in '08). I also would like to hear some rare songs live - but I've always had the impression that the majority of "fans" - or let's say: concert-goers - just want to hear the hits.

Many times the atmosphere reminded me of a funeral and only during the encores the audience cheered up because Chris played some songs they knew. Even back in his more successful days hardly anybody cared for gems like "Daytona" or "Set Me Free". The same applies of course for other bands for instance "The Eagles" or "Dire Straits" - although Mark Knopfler seems to have emancipated from his past days and many fans accept his new style and songs and appreciate them just like the old ones.

I keep saying: Chris unfortunately hasn't got so many die-hard fans like Bruce Springsteen or Bob Dylan have - therefore another best-of just before Christmas is always a sure thing. Sad but true.

REAgards,

Tobi
That´s what´s so fucked up in this world, god - hits rules and that´s because of the mainstream bullshit that goes on. No one respects true music and albums, it´s only the - hits that people hear in radio, well I got news for everyone, true great music can´t be heard in the radio. And that´s why the common audience sucks, sitting in their seats like being in the funeral or so when the true music is played.... Well, He could still throw in suprises as what purpose it does serve when he does the same set list in the same order in every evening??? He could do the suprises and still do those 4 or 5 songs that makes most to the idiots....