About the new best of album

Stop the presses
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Re: About the new best of album

Post by lilybee »

Hi All..... :D

I'm really enjoying the new "reworked" versions of those 6 songs, 100% Chris Rea !! 8)

(Are those trombones Chris added on Fool...? )

I'm just puzzled about Born Bad, not crazy about that song, or why he would pick that one to be part of a greatest hits collection! (with all the many other choices!) :shock: :shock:

I know it's on Electric Memphis (BG). Anybody knows the meaning behind that song?

Is he perhaps "dedicating" it to somebody...?

Lily
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi All.... :D

Well, at least Edel IS promoting Chris' new album after all:

http://www.edel.de/Aktuell.77.0.html?&a ... ec6107cb28

(unlike his chrisrea.com site which seems dead on its tracks....)

Lily
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Lily and all,

I'm glad you're still pretty much active and keeping track of all events related to Chris.
The new album, meanwhile, is also available locally as I mentioned previously. Potential buyers, however, are a little confused, because it sells either as "jewelcase" or as "digipack" and the price difference is really minimal. One has 13 and the other 15 songs (with "Speed" and "The Shadow Of A Fool" .) It's marketed by Warner Music, I was told. So, in a way, Chris "returned" to Warner Bros. after all....
The German text on the Edel Records' web page was very nicely written. I hope the new "compilation" will sell well to generate funds for Chris' for new projects.
Take care,
Chris
lilybee
Master of ceREAmony
Master of ceREAmony

Post by lilybee »

Hi Chris... :D

Great to see you around too. Funny, I saw this old Chris Rea forum somewhere and there's a post
from "Chris from Poland", (I believe it was around 2001 ), and I thought,
that must be the same Chris! :lol:

Whatever little news I can get about Chris Rea, I'll keep them posted here... :D

It would be great to have a translation of the Edel article on Chris, (if anybody has the patience to do it!)

Lily
Jim M
Support
Support

Post by Jim M »

I've been searching to buy the new CD's but the only place they appear to be available (online anyway) is Amazon Germany ! I can't quite figure out why they would do that and i'm really not comfortable ordering in a language i don't understand.Luckily through this web site i have a friend willing to order for me -THANKS TINA ! - but if they want to sell some CD's shouldn't they be available from more sources ?
Jim
Nothings Happening By The Sea
pizzaaddi
dREAm fan
dREAm fan

Post by pizzaaddi »

Hi Jim,

you can also download it from musicload.de. Its also a german site but you can pay with your creditcard.

Maybe there are also english sites to download the new Best of album.

Adrian
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Lily, Jim and all,

Yes Lily, it was probably me. I've been visiting web pages for years and posting replies about Chris Rea, JJ Cale, Tony Joe White and such. I wrote a Chris Rea concert review from Warsaw some years ago and it was "hanging" for years on the German web page http://www.chrisrea.de. I regret I don't know Italian because I just love Italian music. I wish I could post comments on Italian musical web pages, such as musicaitaliana.com.

As far as the new album, I understand that you Jim would like to have the album in a CD format. Downloading It, for me (and perhaps for many others), would be like owning a pirate copy afterwards because I like to play my CD on a regular CD player with speakers 'on.' I don't understand why this disc is not being offered in British stores. It's my guess, however, that since it was published in Germany all subsidiaries of the WB are free to order it for a given country. I was surprised to find "Fool" in media stores in Poland.
Jim, you might try to order it via this page: http://www.fan.pl (switch the language in the upper left corner to English.) I think it's a British company anyway. A caption says: , USD, EURO, GBP....!
Good luck to you!
Take care,
Chris
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
Chris wrote:As far as the new album, I understand that you Jim would like to have the album in a CD format. Downloading It, for me (and perhaps for many others), would be like owning a pirate copy afterwards because I like to play my CD on a regular CD player with speakers 'on.' I don't understand why this disc is not being offered in British stores.
Hi Chris, With all the talk about this latest Greatest Hits one thing has become clear to me. The record companies don't give a toss about Chris Rea.They have marketed it their way and that way is what will make THEM the most money. They didn't think of Chris's fans either as we can see that fans around here can't speak German.If the record companies had any thought other than money it would have made sense to make it available for download on a website that has an english section on it which Chris you now have provided for all of us.By making it so limited it will sell limited except for the die hards that are around.
I think we all feel the same too download is not for any of us. I like having the case wheather it be Digipak or Jewel so I can read the information etc. Nice talking to you
Tina :) :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Post by Chris »

Hi Tina,

I couldn't agree with you more. I think that to an average record company's employee Chris Rea is "just another musician" whom he - better or worst - represents. He might like him but most of the time he only "tolerates" a performer and "handles" him in his work capacity. That's why, generally speaking, fans know better than record company employees what's good or better for them. The record companies should at least pay closer attention to what we're discussing here to better determine our needs as well as to fulfill them.
Chris' music, I've noticed, is no longer put in the "newly arrived" section of a store nor is being otherwise prominently displayed. Perhaps they are treating him as a "waning star" even though he definitely isn't?

As far as downloading, I just cannot load music onto my computer from the net because I want to see the package, have the CD in my hands, open the booklet, read the information as wel as to follow the lyrics.
Aside from the MP3, MP4 and such formats, the CD is also digital.
Best regards to you,
Chris
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Chris,
Chris wrote:The record companies should at least pay closer attention to what we're discussing here to better determine our needs as well as to fulfill them.
I couldn't agree with more and this will be one downfall of the record companies. There is enough fans around of various different musicians to make an impact if we put our minds to it. Was it not bad enough that for 25 years or more they "sold" us a version of Chris that was an extremely watered down. The only positive from that was that Chris made enough money to finally tell them No and because of that we now have Chris the way he can be which is a master of his profession.
Chris wrote:Chris' music, I've noticed, is no longer put in the "newly arrived" section of a store nor is being otherwise prominently displayed. Perhaps they are treating him as a "waning star" even though he definitely isn't?
This is their loss and they are making a very big mistake.
Chris wrote:As far as downloading, I just cannot load music onto my computer from the net because I want to see the package, have the CD in my hands, open the booklet, read the information as wel as to follow the lyrics.
I know this and I can't put it any better than you have Chris.
Have a great weekend and talk again
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

I think that the new Best Of album ain´t necessary to buy.
Too much of these Best Of albums already.
And those new versions, they don´t have nothing new to offer.
Not worth of buying.

I´m waiting and wanting to get all new material from our maestro.
Chris, bring out the next EarBook :)

Cheers !
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Mr Blues,
How are you??I hope you are keeping well??
Mr_Blues wrote:I think that the new Best Of album ain´t necessary to buy
Mr_Blues wrote:And those new versions, they don´t have nothing new to offer.
I'm not going to disagree with you as such as each of us have our opinions :)
I agree with you that Chris has a LOT of Best Of's and some of them don't have much to offer BUT I think this one has. I know we all have numerious versions of his big hits but this album I think is different in so far that these versions are the versions that Chris wanted. As you well know Chris plays all musicial instruments on his old songs on this album. I have heard many many versions of Fool over the years but none quite like the one one on this album, thats not to say that it doesn't exist somewhere it just means I don't know of it :) The same with On The Beach as it reminds me of the way that Chris was singing it on the Stony Road DVD. They are the same songs but he has updated them to sound more like his Blues style now.
Mr_Blues wrote:I´m waiting and wanting to get all new material from our maestro.
Chris, bring out the next EarBook :)
I know exactly how this feels so heres hoping that it won't be too long of a wait.
Nice talking to you
Tina :) :) :)
Müfo
cREAtive fan
cREAtive fan

Post by Müfo »

I wonder if the new Josephine version is really that kind of sound he always wanted?!Cause it has nothing to do with the bluesy banjo-version he played live. It`s more like the french-version from the 80ies with the funky-pop guitar. Even the other rerecordings have not really much to do with blues and are not so far away from the originals. But never mind, I think the new On the beach is - apart from some live-versions from the early 90ies -the best ,,chilling" version I know of this song.
MIGHTYQUINN
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Re: About the new best of album AVAILABILITY?

Post by MIGHTYQUINN »

Hello Bart & Chris Rea Music Listeners!
Being from the USA, I'm having great difficulty where to purchase this in the USA for a reasonable price &
it's availability.
Amazon in Germany & HMV in Japan are the only websites that carrry this cd.
I tried Amazon USA & UK, CD WOW, Deep Discount, Tower, CD Universe all donlabel 't have this CD!
I appreciate any feedback on rgis CD>
Will this be released in USA & UK?
Is it a legit CD release or a bootleg?
And last, why is it not on the Chris Rea website?
Any assistance & feedback is appreciated & Thank You,
MIghtyQuinn
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

Hi Everyone,
Hi Mightyquinn...
Welcome to the club :) I think you are experiencing the same frustration as all of us around here.Most of us have all gone through the same problems trying to purchase this CD. I don't know the official reason as to why it was only available from Amazon Germany.General feeling is that this is proberly where it would sell the most copies as the German people are very fond of Chris and always have.
I know it is for payable download on an English site but don't get your hopes up unless you have an English address.
MIGHTYQUINN wrote:Will this be released in USA & UK?
Who knows? maybe they will decide to extend its availability if there is enough demand or if there is enough interest from fans.
MIGHTYQUINN wrote:Is it a legit CD release or a bootleg?
It is a legit CD.
MIGHTYQUINN wrote:And last, why is it not on the Chris Rea website?
My own opinion on this is although it's called a Chris Rea web site I feel that this site was more a promotional site for Chris's album The Return Of The Fabulous Hofner Bluenotes assuming that you are referring to chrisrea.com.As you know from this site there is no information on Chris unlike this site which cover all aspects of Chris.
One point to remember is that there is very little difference in exchange rates between Dollar and Euro.
Kind REgArds