The man The voice The guitar

The Philharmonic Hall Gig

Let us know who you are, where your from, .... and what your connection with Chris Rea is !
MassiveReaFan
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

The Philharmonic Hall Gig

Post by MassiveReaFan »

Hi Everybody - I've been a massive Chris Rea fan now for nearly 30 years, and been to countless concerts. I have all his videos, albums and singles etc, I can say without doubt, I've spent a fortune on the guy.

However, nothing could have prepared me for what I witnessed at Chris's gig at The Philharmonic Hall in Liverpool a couple of weeks ago. I had been really ill for a long time and had not been over the door in years, as I suffer with accute agoraphobia and severe panic attacks. My wife bought the tickets in the hope that I would go as I love Chris and his music, and seen him several times over the years.

It worked and I got to go, and after the show was over, my wife took me to the stage door to get my picture taken with him. We and about 10 others waited in the rain and cold for Chris to come out. When he finally emerged, Chris seemed very agitated and angry, and even shouted at the man in front of Bob because he was going to slow, it was obvious to all that the man had some learning difficulties This got me all stressed out and brought on a severe anxiety attack, which took us a while to get home.

After he finished shouting at the man in front of me, Chris just looked me up and down like something he had just tread in, walked away muttering and left me stood there on my own, I felt so sorry for the guy that Chris shouted at, and it left me so very angry. Is this any way to treat anybody who has spent loads of money over the years on Chris's cd's and concerts!!! .......In fact is this anyway to treat ANYBODY !!
I am still very upset at Chris's behaviour, and I have swore never again. Chris undone all my wife's hard work to get me out of the house,, but Chris ruined it all in seconds. The sad thing is, I still went the last mile with Chris by defending him for his behaviour to the poor man he shouted at, saying something may have happened in his personal life - now that is what you call a fan !! Chris Rea never uttered a nice word on stage all night, but when I FINALLY did hear him speak, outside !! - I found him to be rude and his behaviour disgusting !!

To make matters worse, my wife wrote to his media company, who denied all knowledge of even working for Chris Rea, then when we got passed that, they offered to pass on our telephone number to his manager, but that took about 10 emails. When John Knowles finally rang about a week later, all he said was, well Chris is normally a lovely fella, but he does gert angry sometimes with his fans outside, but all I can do he said is to apologise. Why should he say sorry for Chris Rea, John never done nothing, but at least he was kind enough to ring us. Will I ever buy any other Chris Rea merchandise or go see him in concert again......I sadly very much doubt it. I know quite a few media people who would love this story, I'll have to think about that one. I'm really saddened to have had to post this at all, I felt the need to warn other fans who may think of trying to meet him at the stage door. I personally know some massive big names in the uk, and I am proud to call the freinds. None of them have ever treated their fans like I was treated.
Chris
REAnatic
REAnatic

Re: The Philharmonic Hall Gig

Post by Chris »

Hi all,
I wouldn't have expected such behavior from Chris Rea. I think something must have triggered his outburst.
I would rather suspect people around Chris (security, managers and such) to use their muscles or utter some verbal abuses, but not him.
That's why, as a rule, I do not go to stage doors. I just want to memorize him as an emotional, gentile and caring (compassionate) person. Perhaps I'm idealizing him but it's better to remember him from his nicer side.
Best regards to you all and Happy Easter to everyone!
Chris
Mr_Blues
REAlly addicted
REAlly addicted

Post by Mr_Blues »

Well, that´s how stars act sometimes when fans don´t let them be alone.
But it was also a shame and rude act. After all fans are the ones who gives them their stardom.
Chris is one of the stars who doesn´t get that success comes with the fans who wants to meet him,
even for just a while. He can´t possible think that he can have all the success without anyone trying
to ask autograph or quick chat. That comes with the line of profession.
Too many good words to add here.
I better just sit back and drink beer. :)
MassiveReaFan
starter REA-fan
starter REA-fan

Post by MassiveReaFan »

I totally agree with both Chris and Mr_Blues posts. If there had been 50, 100 or maybe 200 people stood there, I may have understood Mr. Rea's anger. I know he remembers his early years trying to hit the big time, and he did struggle in those early days. But now that he's in his big ivory house looking down on those who gave him the good life, what does he see, people or £'s ?? - I will never forget the look on that poor man's face when Mr. Rea bawled at him, and then the look he gave me after he finished with him. Mr. Rea once told a radio jock in the USA that he didn't want to be a "Rock N Roll Star" - So much for that sweeping comment. (Edited by moderator)
chrisreafan

Post by chrisreafan »

to me it was just the reverse. By "Donkersloot". John Knowles didn't want Chris with me on the picture. But Chris decided otherwise. So i think we are all human and have moods. Chris is a professional without no doubt. I think he will contact you in a way in the future. We all want attention from him but that's nearly undone work.
Tina3
Support
Support

Post by Tina3 »

I have read this post quite a few times and I admit to feeling sad at Chris's reaction and behaviour both of which were totally unacceptable.
Mr_Blues wrote:He can´t possible think that he can have all the success without anyone trying
to ask autograph or quick chat.

I think this is unfair to say this about Chris.As bad as this post is and this IS very bad thankfully it is very rare.
MassiveReaFan wrote:If there had been 50, 100 or maybe 200 people stood there, I may have understood Mr. Rea's anger. I know he remembers his early years trying to hit the big time, and he did struggle in those early days. But now that he's in his big ivory house looking down on those who gave him the good life, what does he see, people or £'s ??
it is my opinion that Chris is not motivated by money and never has been.How many musicians will drop the price of their albums in Chris's case the Blue Guitars earbook so it is available to the majority of his fans?? He also does endless paintings for donation to the NSPCC and this tour it was clearly marked that Chris supports Refuge.
chrisreafan wrote:. But Chris decided otherwise. So i think we are all human and have moods.

This is true of every person and my experience has been the opposite.I have had the pleasure of meeting Chris on 4 different occasions and at all of them he has been a gentleman.On 2 of these I was lucky enough to have both autographs and photos taken with Chris the latest was last night at his Dublin gig.
I accept his behaviour was in excusable but can the man have an off day.He is not a Saint but by and large I think he is a decent sort of guy .
Tina :)
Pick up the pieces and start again.
elangelo
REAddict
REAddict

Post by elangelo »

I agree, I think it's totally excusable. I know, you can say 'he is a professional and doesn't have right to act like this' but still he's a human, and not really a healthy one :( I mean, I can hardly imagine myself being ill and still smiling at everyone with kindness. He still does that, most of the time, and it's admirable!
I really hope this won't go in the papers, it would be very unfair to Chris, he doesn't deserve it. I know that English media will be glad to have something like that - well we won't give it to them!
Don't cry, baby don't cry
The worst is gone....